*** Official IOWA STATE vs #10 Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Didn’t get to watch the game since I was slammed with work. How did we look in this one? Was happy to see the final score.

It was unreal how amazing Baylor was shooting the ball for 3/4 of the game, but we nutted up and hung with them. At one time, Bridges was 9/9 and 6/6 from three. On top of that, they threw in a 40 footer at halftime buzzer.

I am still a little shocked we pulled it out, let alone going away last five minutes. The boys played great.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It was unreal how amazing Baylor was shooting the ball for 3/4 of the game, but we nutted up and hung with them. At one time, Bridges was 9/9 and 6/6 from three. On top of that, they threw in a 40 footer at halftime buzzer.

I am still a little shocked we pulled it out, let alone going away last five minutes.

Mods, please merge with the vasectomy thread.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

I am still a little shocked we pulled it out, let alone going away last five minutes.
Especially when we were down 8 at one point in the 2nd half, or maybe it was 6. My stomach was churning towards negativity at that point and texted a buddy- ok we just need a couple fouls and bounces our way and a couple 3's and then all of a sudden we can get back in it. Team just didn't give up and showed so much grit. These guys are showing a little more togetherness last 2 games than last years squad I think.

Reactions: NWICY and swisher

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Someone please tell me what I'm seeing is this team is truly playing like they were at the beginning of conference and it's isn't because we have some juju vs Baylor.
Baylor's defense isn't that great. Will be better test with Kansas.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Didn’t get to watch the game since I was slammed with work. How did we look in this one? Was happy to see the final score.
Effort and energy level was off the charts for 40 minutes. Biggest plays that stood out to me were Lipsey grabbing his own rebound off a missed 3 *on the other side of the court*, and Holmes getting his own rebound on a missed free throw. Even Eli King skying for a rebound and getting a foul call against BU for his effort. The guys wanted this one and played like their hair was on fire

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
In this re-enactment, TJ will be playing the part of the hammer. Drew, the nail

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35821810

sYQJfkk.gif

joyisuful

Feb 3, 2023
I was at Stations of the Cross and when I got back we were down eight. I think we were able to come back because I refrained from looking at my phone once during the stations!

Especially when we were down 8 at one point in the 2nd half, or maybe it was 6. My stomach was churning towards negativity at that point and texted a buddy- ok we just need a couple fouls and bounces our way and a couple 3's and then all of a sudden we can get back in it. Team just didn't give up and showed so much grit. These guys are showing a little more togetherness last 2 games than last years squad I think.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Hopefully the resurgence continues. I'm liking the 2-bigs + deep-rotation approach.

We don't know if it's working well in part due to having BU as opponent ... and I am NOT down-playing these past two wins and how well the team has played, but we don't have a large data set yet.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
yeah he was our physically strongest player that year

Kane was a great rebounder but he was pretty big grown man compared to Lipsey at this age.
I loved his three-point attempt in the second half, where knew the shot was short and a bit to the right, and he was running to where the ball was going before it had even hit the rim. He got the board and extended the possession.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hopefully the resurgence continues. I'm liking the 2-bigs + deep-rotation approach.

We don't know if it's working well in part due to having BU as opponent ... and I am NOT down-playing these past two wins and how well the team has played, but we don't have a large data set yet.

We won't play against any significantly better backcourts than Baylor, so there's at least that.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
It really is a problem and it's not just lacking 'ball handlers'. Several times it's like guys aren't even paying attention, with teams showing press and guys have to come back from midcourt. We are also slow making 'the first move'. The worst things you can do against the press is holding the ball or hugging the sideline. Several times Jaz should have taken a dribble or two, then gotten rid of the ball immediately.

Our MO seems to be 'wait until we are trapped' before doing something. It's maddening to watch.
I'm confused. Did we turn the ball over frequently? I know it looks ugly, but besides once when Lipsey threw a really bad pass after passing midcourt I don't remember a turnover off of the press

Help Support Us

Become a patron