Asking again: Has the rot started to set in?

Has the rot started to creep in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
On the food poisoning angle, is there something about food poisoning where it doesn’t affect lineman on plays running between tackles but does affect them on plays opening up more of the field?

That’s why I’m kind of ignoring anything about that angle.

Reactions: KidSilverhair

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
People like CMC in Ames a lot and would quickly get back on board if steps were taken to revamp the offense, even with only a few tangible results. I think it's entirely up to him how this plays out.

I’ve been a pretty strong supporter but if offense comes out with same game plan in first half again I’m done.

It’s not a fluke that we are averaging fewest offensive plays in the nation, that is not a good stat and it’s not even some kind of “conservative” play calling at that point, it’s high risk. If anything it was hanging the defense out to dry.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
How much blame does JP shoulder for making a home and home deal with a MAC team? I understand the economic reality we are in, but does anything about yesterday's game change if we have an additional home game instead of playing in Athens, Ohio?
Food poisoning doesn't happen

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
People like CMC in Ames a lot and would quickly get back on board if steps were taken to revamp the offense, even with only a few tangible results. I think it's entirely up to him how this plays out.

I liked CW's reaction podcast yesterday. I feel like it is very clear what the problem is, and people have generally accepted there is a problem with the offense. Okay. Let's wipe the slate clean and assume best intentions. Campbell is going to be here for the rest of the year. As long as he is willing to try new things, I am on board. I don't care about losing, ultimately--I just don't want to watch the same thing that isn't working tried again and again.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Sometimes in life you just have to step up and admit when something isn’t working anymore. If this doesn’t feel like the Rhoads era or the Prohm times in basketball, then maybe you weren’t around for those eras.
This is different from Rhoads and Prohm. Rhoads had a moment and loved ISU but was never a great coach. Prohm is a great guy but was never a great coach. I wanted good things for both of them, but they just didn’t have it. Matt Campbell is a fantastic coach, but he seems to be going through a crisis of scheme…and possibly personality. I still absolutely believe he can fix this. Will he? Obviously that is yet to be seen.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Bottom line. Campbell is going to be given at least a couple years. ******** will not change reality. And reality may be that we really are the coaches graveyard that inevitably gets all Cyclone coaches….unless you leave when you get the chance. Majors had a losing record his last year with George Amundsen at QB. And Earle left just as Hayden was hired. Earle took Ohio State job and was fired. Finished up at UNI and Colorado State. That is a helluva fall.

Campbell will either figure it out or in a couple years he will likely be gone if he does not. Best for all if he figures it out. We’ll see what happens.
there is no reason a coach can't have sustained success at Iowa State.

We have great facilities, excellent fan support, and play in a major conference. It's up to the coaches to............coach. And that's not happening.

Bill Snyder laid the foundation at K-State and now Klieman is doing great things in Manhattan.

Lance Leipold has completely revamped Kansas football after being dormant for a decade and a half.

Our fans come up with so many excuses of why we can't be successful when there are lots of things we have an advtange at.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
The offense doesn’t have to be THIS bad without nfl future stars. Anybody who plays a lot of video game football could have manufactured more than 11 yards on rushing plays by opening up the offense and attacking more of the field.

11 yards on rushing plays…and we stuck with it!
Kansas arguably has level talent or worse talent than us and they are running up the score on people. There's no excuse. It is simply scheme and execution

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I want CMC to prove me wrong. But in year 8, when nothing offensively has changed, I have concerns. This would be different if it were year 1-3.

THe fact of the matter is, CMC likes to play low-scoring games and that doesn't work for us, especially in the Big 12 where offenses are good.

Reactions: Die4Cy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
there is no reason a coach can't have sustained success at Iowa State.

We have great facilities, excellent fan support, and play in a major conference. It's up to the coaches to............coach. And that's not happening.

Bill Snyder laid the foundation at K-State and now Klieman is doing great things in Manhattan.

Lance Leipold has completely revamped Kansas football after being dormant for a decade and a half.

Our fans come up with so many excuses of why we can't be successful when there are lots of things we have an advtange at.

Snyder's foundation was set on about as sound fundamentally as you can get and iirc relied on JUCOs. And it took his second retirement to get the replacement right.

There may be something to build on if CMC were to be gone but ISU needed to be more like mid-90s dominant KSU to really stick to.

With that, if there is a replacement it needs to be in a similar mode of KSU to not do anything crazy, but do everything really, really well.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Semantics but they switched to the 3-3-5 two weeks (bye week) after losing to Texas although the Texas loss was largely due to Jacob Park losing his mind. Perhaps it was just off of trends though.

I think changing defensive personnel mid-season might be an easier deal than offense. For defense it was just adding a safety and taking away a D-lineman, and reassigning.

Adding receivers or spreading things out, in ISU's case, just puts more average speed on the field and likely still no running game. They got some things going yesterday with the passing game late but if they came out in that, the defense would adjust and with no run game, it's still going to be hard.
If the other teams defense adjusts to passing it generally opens up the run game. Wish we would try it. Not confident it will work with this team as the oline is inept at run blocking and most likely wouldn't change much. Might as well start slinging it because I see zero chance of that changing with the players we have. Offense just sucks and after 8 years someone should be accountable.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If the other teams defense adjusts to passing it generally opens up the run game. Wish we would try it. Not confident it will work with this team as the oline is inept at run blocking and most likely wouldn't change much. Might as well start slinging it because I see zero chance of that changing with the players we have. Offense just sucks and after 8 years someone should be accountable.

I see it like in basketball if a team has bad post play; the opponent can press the perimeter because there's no account for the block.

You still need to be able to at least have the run as a threat in the spread.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I see it like in basketball if a team has bad post play; the opponent can press the perimeter because there's no account for the block.

You still need to be able to at least have the run as a threat in the spread.
Agree..I don't think this team would run well in any type of set. The line can half ass pass block so really don't have any choice imo. Work with what you got because nobodies making those players do what you want them to do. Not athletic, strong, mean, aggressive enough to do it.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
Have yet to see someone provide a realistic option we could have that’d be better than CMC. Who are we getting when there’s every B10/SEC school that can outpay us, plus the fans chased off the only coach over .500 in our modern history. If you think there’s in-demand coaches lining up to take this job you need a reality check.

The “but we can pay $4mil” thing is dumb. There are schools that can pay $8M and the rest of the P4 can pay $3-5M and have much better historical success than ISU.

Get a grip folks

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Have yet to see someone provide a realistic option we could have that’d be better than CMC. Who are we getting when there’s every B10/SEC school that can outpay us, plus the fans chased off the only coach over .500 in our modern history. If you think there’s in-demand coaches lining up to take this job you need a reality check.

The “but we can pay $4mil” thing is dumb. There are schools that can pay $8M and the rest of the P4 can pay $3-5M and have much better historical success than ISU.

Get a grip folks

There’s an entire thread on it.