Asking again: Has the rot started to set in?

Has the rot started to creep in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Have yet to see someone provide a realistic option we could have that’d be better than CMC. Who are we getting when there’s every B10/SEC school that can outpay us, plus the fans chased off the only coach over .500 in our modern history. If you think there’s in-demand coaches lining up to take this job you need a reality check.

The “but we can pay $4mil” thing is dumb. There are schools that can pay $8M and the rest of the P4 can pay $3-5M and have much better historical success than ISU.

Get a grip folks
This is such a loser mentality.

We can get another up and coming coach. ISU is a huge promotion from any FCS or G5 head coach position, as well as many P4 coordinators. Coaches at this level have egos. It is true that ISU is a tough place, but plenty of coaches at this level will be confident that they will be the ones to get it done.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016

We can get another up and coming coach. ISU is a huge promotion from any FCS or G5 head coach position, as well as many P4 coordinators. Coaches at this level have egos. It is true that ISU is a tough place, but plenty of coaches at this level will be confident that they will be the ones to get it done.
This is what folks are missing. Yes ISU is a massive step up from the levels below us. But there are so many jobs that can either pay more, or have better historical success/recruiting, or both. We are not gonna land our first or 2nd or 3rd favorite pick

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
If the other teams defense adjusts to passing it generally opens up the run game. Wish we would try it. Not confident it will work with this team as the oline is inept at run blocking and most likely wouldn't change much. Might as well start slinging it because I see zero chance of that changing with the players we have. Offense just sucks and after 8 years someone should be accountable.
I did notice one stretch where Iowa State had some decent success with two or three passes in a row then went back to a run and got absolutely stuffed.

Any reasonable observer would have thought that was a good plan; throw the ball downfield a few times in a row, then catch the defense back on their heels with the running game. The fact it spectacularly didn’t work means 1) our line is totally incapable of any run blocking 2) somehow ISU telegraphs their run plays or 3) some combination of the two.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Have yet to see someone provide a realistic option we could have that’d be better than CMC. Who are we getting when there’s every B10/SEC school that can outpay us, plus the fans chased off the only coach over .500 in our modern history. If you think there’s in-demand coaches lining up to take this job you need a reality check.

The “but we can pay $4mil” thing is dumb. There are schools that can pay $8M and the rest of the P4 can pay $3-5M and have much better historical success than ISU.

Get a grip folks
This post comes out every time when change is discussed. I’m sure you were here posting the same exact thing when Rhoads was on the hot seat.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
This post comes out every time when change is discussed. I’m sure you were here posting the same exact thing when Rhoads was on the hot seat.
Way different feelings to me. CPR seemed way obvious to me it was time for him to go. Once Campbell has multiple seasons where he has multiple blowout losses by 30+ and the team wasn’t even competitive, then your comparison would make sense. Just look at CPRs last few seasons for me please

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Way different feelings to me. CPR seemed way obvious to me it was time for him to go. Once Campbell has multiple seasons where he has multiple blowout losses by 30+ and the team wasn’t even competitive, then your comparison would make sense. Just look at CPRs last few seasons for me please
This current downfall is almost identical to Paul Rhoads. We are currently in September 2014. Someday you will see it. Some just take longer than others to figure it out.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
This current downfall is almost identical to Paul Rhoads. We are currently in September 2014. Someday you will see it. Some just take longer than others to figure it out.
This is baffling to me. CMC has had 5 seasons of 7 or more wins. 7 is the most CPR ever had (in his first year with chiz’s guys). How can you sit there and type this with a straight face lmao

Not gonna sit here and say I love the way things are heading but please take a look around and ask yourself what our other realistic options are

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

ISU started that season getting worked over by NDSU following a season with many blow outs.

ISU is not good and the wheels may be off for CMC but the two eras are still not comparable.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
This is baffling to me. CMC has had 5 seasons of 7 or more wins. 7 is the most CPR ever had (in his first year with chiz’s guys). How can you sit there and type this with a straight face lmao

Not gonna sit here and say I love the way things are heading but please take a look around and ask yourself what our other realistic options are
Paul Roads pretty much plateaued at 6 wins, Campbell at 8. 2021 was identical to 2012 in that we had a lot of experience, talent, and expectations and fell short. Last season was our 2013 where things fell off. This year we lose to Ohio which is about as bad as NDSU. Things are crumbling whether you see it or not.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

KU hired Leipold from Buffalo. KSU hired Klieman from NDSU. Both of those hires are looking better to me right now than Campbell. I think we could have had a shot at either one of those guys.

The current head coach at NDSU is Matt Entz. He makes $396k per year. You don't think he would take Pollard's phone call for a potential 1000% pay raise because it is a tough job?

We hired Chizik away from the DC position at Texas shortly after he was named national coordinator of the year and UT had won a national title. And I would say we are a better job today then we were back then.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
Paul Roads pretty much plateaued at 6 wins, Campbell at 8. 2021 was identical to 2012 in that we had a lot of experience, talent, and expectations and fell short. Last season was our 2013 where things fell off. This year we lose to Ohio which is about as bad as NDSU. Things are crumbling whether you see it or not.
Once we lose by 20 to an FCS team and get murdered by 30+ in multiple conference games I will personally invite you over to my house so you can scream “I told you so” in my face. Until then you can’t argue the situations are even close

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020

THIS. Yes, Iowa State is not an easy place to coach at, but we are in a power conference, have great facilities and excellent fan support. That's what players and coaches long for.

K-State and Kansas are living proof you can be located in a state without a lot of local talent and still succeed.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Semantics but they switched to the 3-3-5 two weeks (bye week) after losing to Texas although the Texas loss was largely due to Jacob Park losing his mind. Perhaps it was just off of trends though.

I think changing defensive personnel mid-season might be an easier deal than offense. For defense it was just adding a safety and taking away a D-lineman, and reassigning.

Adding receivers or spreading things out, in ISU's case, just puts more average speed on the field and likely still no running game. They got some things going yesterday with the passing game late but if they came out in that, the defense would adjust and with no run game, it's still going to be hard.
the Texas game was the first game they tried the new defense. It worked. We had turnovers by Park and one of our D-linemen got a stupid celebration penalty that helped Texas score. We pretty much stopped them that night.