Scheelhaase to Rams

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Seems like this is becoming more and more common - college coaches, making the jump to NFL.

Not saying, this is necessarily about Nate, but I think a lot of college coaches are growing tired of the constant recruiting/NIL battle/recruiting of current players etc. They just wanna coach football.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Lots of offensive guys hitting the portal expected?
Is the portal even open? I think the fall one is closed and the spring one doesn't open until mid April. Plenty of time to get an OC in and the guys liking what they hear/see.

Unless I am wrong? I thought they could only leave outside of the specific windows if the head coach left.

Reactions: Darius Bieber

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I bet it’s a year of the mystery OC like when Manning went to the Colts for a season.

Reactions: Cyclone90

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I bet it’s a year of the mystery OC like when Manning went to the Colts for a season.
I think it’ll depend on who they can bring in. QB coach is a pretty big vaccany as well, but we do have Waters and Kempt as former QB’s on staff who could get promoted.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think it’ll depend on who they can bring in. QB coach is a pretty big vaccany as well, but we do have Waters and Kempt as former QB’s on staff who could get promoted.
The chances of an outside guy with Matt are about zero. He trusts no one but his inner circle. Kyles been being groomed for years but this is a huge step.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
First, congrats to Nate. Big time promotion and working for one of the best. He'll learn a ton.

Second, a college football coaching crisis is coming. Guys are fleeing to the NFL because if you're coaching guys that are getting paid, you want to do it on a level playing field where there are rules and you don't have to constantly re-recruit your own team.
Isn't that essentially what happened with the BC coach?

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I find it extremely odd he's not even a coordinator or position coach. That seems just bizarre.
Look around, man. These guys are taking title demotions all over the place to get out of the college game. Guys are taking demotions within the college game just so they don't have to be a head coach. I said this like a year ago but the CFB brain drain is going to be a real thing if the rules around the game aren't shored up quickly.

Honestly, it's a really good thing, IMO, that CMC doesn't have much in the way of coordinator background. He just does not strike me as someone who is going to love this recruiting environment and the amount of recruiting you have to do year round to keep your roster in-tact, not to mention that as soon as you find TJ Tampa or Jeremiah Cooper, there are programs offering them money to leave you. Nothing about this sounds fun at all and if they sit back and think about just coaching football, which is what they signed up for when the career path was chosen, it has to be incredibly hard to like where you're at. Chip Kelly had an awakening because his QB coach left and he spent bowl prep coaching QBs and realized that stuff is what he likes and he got to do none of it.