Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
Have we ever had any star that worked out?

Several successful 4 stars and even 3 stars of course

CycloneBamaFan

Nov 6, 2018
This sucks. Waiting for the official word however. Is the main source of this information from a West Virginia Sports website?

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I'm so curious how the true NIL deals work as Ive seen a couple of his on my feeds with US Cellular I believe? More just how the agreement is written, when would they stop running their ads, etc.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Have we ever had any star that worked out?

Several successful 4 stars and even 3 stars of course
Depends on what is meant by star. We've only had two McD AAs ever (Fizer, Omaha).

Here's our highly-rated (top-100) recruits and their "RSCI" consensus national rankings in their recruiting class (from sports-reference.com), which goes back to the class of 2000. I bolded the ones who I think at least lived up to expectations as Cyclones:

Jake Sullivan #58 in 2000
Adam Haluska #74 in 2002
Will Blalock #94 in 2003
Rahshon Clark #94 in 2004 [borderline bold, 4-year starter, averaged 9 ppg on 48% shooting]
Shawn Taggart #58 in 2005
Craig Brackins #51 in 2007
Chris Colvin #97 in 2009
Georges Niang #71 in 2012
Matt Thomas #52 in 2013
Lindell Wigginton #31 in 2017

Terrence Lewis #93 in 2017
Talen Horton-Tucker #50 in 2018
Xavier Foster #61 in 2020
Tyrese Hunter #34 in 2021 [could argue bold, was B12 FOTY]
Milan Momcilovic #34 in 2023
Omaha Biliew #11 in 2023

So we're about 50/50 historically. Fizer for sure would have been like top 25 at least, he was a stud recruit.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Ask that of all the folks who say we found better players.
Run off? That is what you said that incited me to dumb your post.

You are implying that if we recruit a player better than one already on our roster we are "running him off". Do you want us to win basketball games or not? That's kind of the point.

Would i be disappointed if he transfers, yes. BUT this isn't a situation where anybody was run off. He's just not good enough to play. End of story.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
This is nonsensical. Are you seriously arguing that coaches don't evaluate the players to whom they offer scholarships?
Rating is based on potential, not readiness to play immediately. Most freshmen can’t compete with upperclassmen. Omaha was beaten by Milan and Lipsey had no competition at PG last year.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Saying the coaches are running these guys off / asking them to leave is really presumptive and speculative. There's probably some of that but I think in most of these cases it's the player deciding to leave. We "won now" this year with Omaha contributing nothing, we can "win now" again next year. I really doubt the coaches want him to leave.

Last edited:

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Lol, "not every single one will pan out." As if we've whiffed on like one kid, instead of almost literally all of them.
You don’t know how they will turn out. They just were’t good enough to play as freshman in a top 10 team.

Reactions: VeloClone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
What's the way to fix it?

I don't really have a problem with them being pros...but there's a reason no successful pro league in the entire world has a system where 100% of players are one year free agent contracts.

It's not college sports anymore, but it's not really pro sports either. Not pro sports in a way that makes sense.

Bring back the sit out year after transferring. Still allow guys to transfer if they want to, but it makes it much harder to just buy a team full of seniors with NIL money.

ChiClone17

Sep 2, 2016
Has anyone even semi-reputable reported this? Seems like a bunch of ridiculous speculation for now.

He could certainly still transfer, but am I the only one that thinks that he may very well be returning given that we already had three guys put their name in the portal yesterday? That would suggest that the players had their meetings yesterday, unless the other three made their decisions before the end of the season, which is possible.

Unless he’s going down a level, there isn’t a better opportunity than Iowa State out there right now. The three guys in front of him are all gone and he gets to stay in a familiar system that knows him better than anyone else.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think this kind of thing happens unless the blue bloods really start to fall off.

Agreed. The question was how to fix it. First you have to have someone in control that wants to fix it. The TV partners and big schools are very happy with the current setup. So since money drives everything, get used to the final four being teams full of mercenaries coming for their senior year after being developed by another coaching staff.

Hoxsuck

Nov 27, 2020
People can say whatever they want, but ISU had the highest rated recruiting class in its history less than 18 months ago and all but one of them are about to be gone. That is a failure. Either they whiffed on evaluation or they whiffed on development.

If this is how it's going to be, why bother recruiting high school kids at all? Isn't it a massive waste of time and effort? How can any recruit or parent take you seriously when almost every single freshman you've recruited, you've run off?
Cyclone fans are going to struggle this this concept, but the best programs are looking at old guys and we are one of those programs. You still need to look at HS kids so you can land the occasional generational talent (Lipsey), but otherwise you let other programs start kids to see who can actually play then you go and poach them. Like it or not, that is the path. You want to cheer for a team that just develops their own talent, head 2 hours to the East. See how well that is working. It is better to be the big dog at the food bowl and this coaching staff understands that.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Bring back the sit out year after transferring. Still allow guys to transfer if they want to, but it makes it much harder to just buy a team full of seniors with NIL money.
You do realize that if these rules were put in play it would hurt Iowa State, right? I don’t understand why so many people here are so against the transfer rules when that’s where TJ has made his living. If transfers had to sit out a year then we wouldn’t have made the tournament and the sweet 16 in TJ’s first year and sure as hell wouldn’t have had a top 10 team this year.