Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Don’t get why CW won’t post on the website he runs.
He did, but he runs a business and this website exists because some people are willing to pay a premium for it. So if you don’t want to pay, then don’t complain about not getting the information before it is public.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Xavier booker for Michigan State would be a similar comp, 9 min and 3.7 pts/gm. He played more than Omaha, but doubtful this was the role he anticipated. However, he has stated that he is returning to Michigan State
I have serious doubts Biliew could come close to those numbers in 9 min/game. Not only did he look lost but void of basic skills.

• Winner
Reactions: CYDJ

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I have serious doubts Biliew could come close to those numbers in 9 min/game. Not only did he look lost but void of basic skills.
I added three more 5* guys in another post that had even more limited roles. All have a common denominator of being big men
6-8, 6-9, 7-1 as was booker at 6-10 and Omaha at 6-8

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Sean Stewart at Duke is another similar comp. 8.3 min and 2.7 pts/game.
TJ power also at duke is yet another. 7.0 min and 2.2 pts, only played 25 games

Omaha 7.4 and 2.4 pts in 20 games

Edit to add another
Dennis Evans at Louisville - 9.1 min and 1.6 pts and only got 7 games of action
But did they look as bad as Omaha?

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I'm just frustrated that Omaha didn't get more mins in non con. There were SEVERAL threads, even from CW, expecting him to get a lot of run in the games right before conference play and he just didn't get any mins. Even when we were winning by 45 points. I'll never understand why he wasn't more utilized to try and get him up to speed. His athletic ability and length on defense could have REALLY helped on a guy like Hawkins for Illinois who torched BRE consistently.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I watched few games when he was in high school. I was not impressed with his basketball skills. I was more impressed with Sanfort kid. I was roasted when I said don’t expect too much and many 5 star recruits don’t pan out
I have a good friend that refed a couple of Omaha's games and he told me the same thing, "great athlete, really gets up and down the floor, long arms and can jump, but really struggled with catching and shooting the ball around the basket."

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm just frustrated that Omaha didn't get more mins in non con. There were SEVERAL threads, even from CW, expecting him to get a lot of run in the games right before conference play and he just didn't get any mins. Even when we were winning by 45 points. I'll never understand why he wasn't more utilized to try and get him up to speed. His athletic ability and length on defense could have REALLY helped on a guy like Hawkins for Illinois who torched BRE consistently.
I think it is pretty simple, he just wasn't there skill wise, and wasn't really close.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
LaBron's son was no big deal at USC this year.
Who is LaBron? I know a LeBron. If you’re talking about Bronny James, he was only a four star recruit but he also averaged 5 points in 19 minutes, far more productive than Omaha, who was much higher rated than him.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I added three more 5* guys in another post that had even more limited roles. All have a common denominator of being big men
6-8, 6-9, 7-1 as was booker at 6-10 and Omaha at 6-8
Because big men are recruited based on their physical talent and potential. Guards are not rated high unless they already have skills and showed that in games and camps.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Commitment is a 2 way street. Putting time in during the summer is vital.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
It's absolutely gross that coaches are immediately trying to recruit over kids the day after they commit but adapt or die.
Recruiting is a 24/7/365 part of the job. How many players in both basketball and football have committed to ISU because we were one of the first people to contact them and developed a relationship?

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
But did they look as bad as Omaha?
No idea, but probably. If you are ready to play at this level, then you play. One would think the one at Louisville would have seen more action if he was better. His season was cut short by injury, but prior to it he barely saw the floor. They ended the year 8-24.

Maybe less so in the case with the Duke players, there was a lid on the minutes available.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I think it is pretty simple, he just wasn't there skill wise, and wasn't really close.

How much damage can a kid do when you're up by 45? I made the same argument in a lot of those game threads and there was never a reasonable answer. If the problem is 'Omaha is going to fast' or 'Omaha isn't in the right position on defense', then how do you get improvement without experience? Because the only think that's going to calm a Freshman's nerves are getting used to the stage with minutes.

There is no denying Omaha's athletic ability.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Recruiting is a 24/7/365 part of the job. How many players in both basketball and football have committed to ISU because we were one of the first people to contact them and developed a relationship?
Don't disagree but it used to be about projection and development. It's not wrong, it's what it is now but it just doesn't make sense to recruit high school kids anymore.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Can I ask you two questions?

IF Omaha wasn't from Iowa would you care as much? IF he can't play then what difference does it make?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If I'm a p6 coach, I'd want to limit my high school recruiting to 1 or 2 kids every year, maybe 3 to gamble on kids with the right measurables. Fill everything else up through the portal. Spend resources casting a wide net during high school recruiting to build strong relationships with the kids you'll be targeting later.

In the nil era, staying old will be the goal. Experience> potential every time. We have a staff that should thrive in this environment.

Help Support Us

Become a patron