Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure why everyone is upset about the portal and nil these days. I personally love it. ISU will compete because we have one of the best fan bases in America. That support will always go a long way. Open nil is great. Now we're not competing against cheating ass bastard programs like KU every year. Playing field evened out when everyone can pay. As far as the portal? Give me Keshon and Curtis any day.
Exactly! NIL $ will still draw in talent to teams that have more $ but it also identifies which coaches get the most out of their players as Otz has done. Coaching and developing players is a draw for many players.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Exactly, AND this is the reason I think NIL will also eventually become more of a science. If I dumped a bunch of money on Omaha, I'd be a tad disappointed. And, accordingly will be more scrutinizing next time.
Lesson here is don't dump money on one particular recruit. On the other hand invest it toward TJ's recruiting class. Which consisted of Milan, Omaha, Gilbert, Jones, Pav, Fish, and Hamilton. The core of that class led us to a Sweet 16.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
It's absolutely gross that coaches are immediately trying to recruit over kids the day after they commit but adapt or die.
This is what has really changed the perspective from a high school recruit level.

My son has been recruited by schools from D3 all the way to low level D1. It’s been interesting process but it’s become obvious why his coaches have been advising him not to commit until last minute to anywhere. He’s seen so many guys older than him commit and start at a 4 year (Low Major D1 or D2 top programs) get buried by transfers on the depth chart when coaches promised that wouldn’t happen. He will be starting at a JUCO based on advice from his AAU coaches. It’s amazing how much the recruiting process has changed just in the 2-3 years coaches have been in contact with him.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
These type of departures, mutual or otherwise, were much more negative in previous era imo.

With inducement/NIL, it’s a business decision for both sides. We need to spend our money wisely. We can’t give him what others may be willing.

And players need to get PT to get paid. We can’t give Hamilton or Omaha on-the-job training minutes they need to get paid in future

Previously a lack of playing time for underclassmen was a negative, now it’s a bad business transaction

And that sucks, and the pendulum has swung too far in the direction of players being disposable parts. Hopefully as things settle down, that pendulum swings back somewhat, but for now it is what it is.

It would be nice, however, if our media coverage and discussion around recruiting HS kids caught up to the reality - which is that 75% of them are practice-squad players who won't make it to their sophomore years.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Was there another 5 star who's game was that limited this year?
Sean Stewart at Duke is another similar comp. 8.3 min and 2.7 pts/game.
TJ power also at duke is yet another. 7.0 min and 2.2 pts, only played 25 games

Omaha 7.4 and 2.4 pts in 20 games

Edit to add another
Dennis Evans at Louisville - 9.1 min and 1.6 pts and only got 7 games of action

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Was there another 5 star who's game was that limited this year?
TJ was really in a tough spot with recruiting Omaha. 5 star recruits in the state of Iowa are very rare, and even more rare they have interest in Iowa St. He was a must recruit, and must take. If Omaha was from Florida, then Iowa St likely never would have been in the picture.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
They need to go to a pay system and then have them sign contracts.

You sign a contract and you can be traded or can buy out your contract etc, but otherwise you go where you sign.
I’ve been thinking about this as well. Players are essentially at will employees now and either party can terminate the employment. Just not sure if non-competition agreements would be judicially upheld if a player wanted to leave.

jspeels

May 14, 2022
This one is a bit confusing, but, it isn’t my life. We will never know the behind the scenes discussions that had him go this route. Wish he would have stayed and developed the potential that he may have. Proof is in the pudding..look what this staff did with BRE! Goodluck Omaha.

Reactions: t-noah

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
If you look at the five star recruits, Omaha was the least productive one in the class. High 4’s were also more productive than Omaha as freshmen.
I watched few games when he was in high school. I was not impressed with his basketball skills. I was more impressed with Sanfort kid. I was roasted when I said don’t expect too much and many 5 star recruits don’t pan out

Reactions: WhoISthis