Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Pollard was also asked if someday that athletes will be paid employees of the university... he said "yes." He thinks that is where college athletics is headed.
Curious how Title 9 will shake out with the prospect of athletes as employees. Right now, it just applies to scholarships, could it apply to compensation as well?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Jamie said that all else being equal they used non-con SOS as the ultimate decider, despite it already being incorporated in another metric. Then he said Cyclone fans were not being objective by pointing that out.

So we got dinged twice for a poor non-con SOS.
Remember when JP was boasting about our NET in the weak non-con, making a mockery of it?

It’s like when JP soapboxed about transfers when his failed hire in McD lost players, only to have Hoiberg use them to rebuild the program

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Curious how Title 9 will shake out with the prospect of athletes as employees. Right now, it just applies to scholarships, could it apply to compensation as well?
Nope. Non-revenue sports aren't going to exist anymore as varsity sports. They'll become club sports that may or may not offer scholarships.

FB, MBB, WBB, VB, BB, SB are going to be all that's left nationally and you'll have some regional sports like wrestling that survive where they're important.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
100% agree. If this team had played a tougher non-con, their record would likely have been worse. And we would have received a worse seed and missed getting placed in Omaha.
Our non-con was a joke because of how many horrible teams we played

We can play MAC level teams and avoid that, without materially increasing odds of more losses

Was that intentional to manipulate NET?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
They’ve said this for quite a while.

I think it’s the wrong move now that the committee says non conf games in November are more important than playing the #1 ranked team three times in Jan/Feb. if that’s the reality we should do a 15 game schedule and just play everybody once. They don’t value conference games.

The problem is that’s not true. They just make it whatever they need to year by year. Next year might be road performance, year after that might be NET as their “focus”. It’s all ******** but just get in every year and our chances to advance deep increase.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Our non-con was a joke because of how many horrible teams we played

We can play MAC level teams and avoid that, without materially increasing odds of more losses

Was that intentional to manipulate NET?
Yes, it was, according to JP's tweet months ago.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
The problem is that’s not true. They just make it whatever they need to year by year. Next year might be road performance, year after that might be NET as their “focus”. It’s all ******** but just get in every year and our chances to advance deep increase.
If Iowa State played the No. 1 rated team in the country in non-conference, and that team tanked and ended up with a losing record, I truly believe the committee would say, "Well, we can't give you a better seed based on that win since they turned out to be a bad team."

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Nope. Non-revenue sports aren't going to exist anymore as varsity sports. They'll become club sports that may or may not offer scholarships.

FB, MBB, WBB, VB, BB, SB are going to be all that's left nationally and you'll have some regional sports like wrestling that survive where they're important.
Well, that's what I was thinking. It would apply, and that would end a lot of sports.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
If Iowa State played the No. 1 rated team in the country in non-conference, and that team tanked and ended up with a losing record, I truly believe the committee would say, "Well, we can't give you a better seed based on that win since they turned out to be a bad team."
Or if we lost, and were on the bubble, they'd say "well, that was a strong schedule to play, but you have to win those games".

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Exact scenario happened last season (2022-23 season); we beat #1 UNC, who went on to miss the tournament. Granted, didn't really affect our seeding but was discussed throughout the year about Iowa State being overrated.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Exact scenario happened last season (2022-23 season); we beat #1 UNC, who went on to miss the tournament. Granted, didn't really affect our seeding but was discussed throughout the year about Iowa State being overrated.
My memory is going fast. ;)

Thanks for reminding me of that.

Reactions: Billups06

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I'm still surprised everyone is going on about this so much. I know hindsight is 20/20, but it looks like the committee wasn't that wrong. If we really were the top 2 seed, then we had no business losing to Illinois. If we'd have made it to the elite 8, then lost a close one to UConn, I could see an argument. At this point though, we didn't make it to the elite 8 and it wasn't because we ran into a juggernaught team of destiny in the S16.
How could NC State have been seeded so low! They're in the Final 4!

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Would be nice to have both a tap room and a bar/grill

A spot like this would do really well in an entertainment district centered around sports...

The Athletic Club in Coralville that @Messi mentioned a similar vibe though Let It Fly is a bit of a larger operation. Sports centric, beer, simple yet classic bar food and appetizer options is all you need. Let It Fly is a chain but a little more unique than adding in a Buffalo Wild Wings or something like that.

I think they should add one of these on top of a West O Brew/Pub that might have more limited food options.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
He elaborated briefly about the seeding decision. Heavily paraphrasing/summarizing - When committee teams in that vicinity, wasn't a lot of separation across the resumes, but one outlier was ISU's non-con.

In a different season, a situation like that could be road wins, or some other profile factor - maybe for ISU or maybe it's some other team.

One still could argue NCSOS or road record shouldn't be "thing" or a categorical element, it should be built-in to metrics. And probably already is. If committee has to find a way to distinguish and all else is close, that was the only place.

He reiterated (in passing) that he wasn't in the room when the vote was taken (that's a given with selection rules).

The only people that think that sh!t should be counted twice are old men on the committee and ACC apologists.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Even if this were true how would playing better teams in the non-conference change that?
It is true and I didn’t say it would. I was just responding to the bolded part of your post as to why the sport appears irrelevant until February/March.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
ISU was a 2 seed, not sure why fans expected otherwise. Sure, a few writers looking for clicks were pushing the 1 seed, but that wasn't realistic. The committee values winning the 18 or 20 game Conference title over a 3 game Tournament.

I also seem to recall a number of Cyclone fans complaining about how weak our non-schedule was last summer. I'm not surprised the Selection Committee didn't view playing a number of sub 250 Net schools as a positive differentiator in seeding.

I am not being critical of our non-con schedule. It was the right move by TJ based on our roster turnover. But with our returning roster for next season, I would expect TJ to upgrade our buy games. I am also a believer that ISU should schedule UNI or Drake every year in Hilton. The buy might be lower since their travel costs would be minimal. If those schools aren't interested, so be it.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not surprised to hear JP double down. The huge hole in his argument (maybe they pointed this out to him yesterday) is that it was not just about Cyclone fans. Almost every talking head out there questioned ISU’s seeding.

What do you want him to say though? Ranting about the committee's selection process and Iowa States seeding would do absolutely zero good. If anything, the conferences need to start a movement and take the damn AD's out of this process and hire a few data geeks to sort it all out. They would do a better job than a bunch of old men with other interests.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
They’ve said this for quite a while.

I think it’s the wrong move now that the committee says non conf games in November are more important than playing the #1 ranked team three times in Jan/Feb. if that’s the reality we should do a 15 game schedule and just play everybody once. They don’t value conference games.
Agreed. That was mu biggest takeaway this season. Conference games mean almost nothing unless you're on the bubble.

It's an absurd way to determine seeding in a sport that has a long season with injuries, evolving teams, and spends 3 months in conference play, but that's what they've told us. Nonconference games in November are more important than conference games in March, and in some cases, all that matters is you played those games, not whether you won or lost.