***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
The problem
The guys that are all about money can go to UK or somewhere. We want the guys that want to win not collect a paycheck. Guys that want to play for isu and not play for themselves. One of the best teams I remember in the NBA was that spurs team that had late in career Parker and crew. That team dominated the “star” loaded heat
With you're idea of going to play in the UK is the market for them in NIL college is better right now. I hope it regresses a little, and I think it will. There is only 1 winner at the end.

Is it worth putting millions towards a chance, forever, to keep coming up short? In reality most of these big NIL deals are getting nothing in return but a hope of a team/player that can win them a championship.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The Bucks thing happened so late that they couldn't shift. I guess they could have tried for a KJ Bluford-type of thing.
You're missing the point. The NBA was always his first option. He was very upfront about that. No reason not to be contacting others until he's committed.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Kyle would have been a nice get but the staff already found their starting 5. It's honestly weird he was in the mix as long as he was from both his and our staffs point of view. Can't imagine he wanted to come off the bench and I can't see TJ wanting to pay a kid starter money who would be coming off the bench.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Listen to latest Williams/Blum podcast. Blum pretty much said "we arent Kansas". We arent paying for two starting 5s. Lipsey, Gilbert, Jones, Momcilovic, Jackson, Heise, Jefferson, Watson that is a big time 8 man rotation right there. That does not even include our three freshman. One of the freshman pop we are in business.

Kyle would have been a nice get but the staff already found their starting 5. It's honestly weird he was in the mix as long as he was from both his and our staffs point of view. Can't imagine he wanted to come off the bench and I can't see TJ wanting to pay a kid starter money who would be coming off the bench.
He would have played Tre Kings role as a 4.

Reactions: CYDJ

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Can a coach donate to their school’s NIL or is that literally the only rule that exists anymore?
Only possible way I could fathom is if the funds come from some type of income that has absolutely no connection to his being a BB coach. Because that would be next to impossible to track I'd say no.

Last edited:

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
The guys that are all about money can go to UK or somewhere. We want the guys that want to win not collect a paycheck. Guys that want to play for isu and not play for themselves. One of the best teams I remember in the NBA was that spurs team that had late in career Parker and crew. That team dominated the “star” loaded heat
While I respect your viewpoint, in this era of athletics, you just aren’t going to get the talent needed to win without paying something.

I like winning and will support whatever that takes. This staff knows its limitations and how to build a team on a budget. We are definitely in good hands.
The problem

With you're idea of going to play in the UK is the market for them in NIL college is better right now. I hope it regresses a little, and I think it will. There is only 1 winner at the end.

Is it worth putting millions towards a chance, forever, to keep coming up short? In reality most of these big NIL deals are getting nothing in return but a hope of a team/player that can win them a championship.
I read it as United Kingdom at first but I’m pretty sure he meant Kentucky haha

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You're missing the point. The NBA was always his first option. He was very upfront about that. No reason not to be contacting others until he's committed.
This is a lot of hand-wringing over ancient history.;)

Sure it would have been nice to have a player of AJ Green's ability on TJ's first team. But guard play isn't what held that team back (they did make Sweet 16!). We had: Hunter, Brockington, Kalscheur and Grill.

If AJ Green wasn't Kyle's son, maybe we have an option B. But feel like there is a special consideration based on AJ's dad being an ISU coach. Or maybe the staff didn't feel there were better players than Hunter and the 3 portal guards we did get. Or we also don't know what promises were made to Brockington, Kalscheur and Grill about playing time opportunity when we signed them. Afterall, weren't we coming off something like a 2 win season.

Also, just speculating- but my guess is TJ could have handed out "AJ's Scholarship" if we had another portal player interesting in ISU that spring. Not like AJ couldn't have walked-on. I think the Green's could have afforded it.

Ankency

Oct 22, 2018

Sure it would have been nice to have a player of AJ Green's ability on TJ's first team. But guard play isn't what held that team back (they did make Sweet 16!). We had: Hunter, Brockington, Kalscheur and Grill.

If AJ Green wasn't Kyle's son, maybe we have an option B. But feel like there is a special consideration based on AJ's dad being an ISU coach. Or maybe the staff didn't feel there were better players than Hunter and the 3 portal guards we did get. Or we also don't know what promises were made to Brockington, Kalscheur and Grill about playing time opportunity when we signed them. Afterall, weren't we coming off something like a 2 win season.

Also, just speculating- but my guess is TJ could have handed out "AJ's Scholarship" if we had another portal player interesting in ISU that spring. Not like AJ couldn't have walked-on. I think the Green's could have afforded it.
AJ was going to come in TJ’s 2nd year. Brockington was gone

• Informative
Reactions: isucy86

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

We were actually coming off a sweet 16 and backed into the tournament only to provide one of the most pathetic displays I've ever seen. Not sure why so.many are ok with such a grievous error. I'm sure TJ isn't and won't let it happen again.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Can a coach donate to their school’s NIL or is that literally the only rule that exists anymore?

I was thinking like Hy Vee hires TJ and Tamin and pays Tamin 1 million and TJ 50 bucks. Basically TJ allowing the money to go to his player. I could see that as a sneaky way a team like Iowa state could get some guys paid

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Probably true, but didn't the same poster also say he was set to announce that week then a couple days later he's narrowed his list down to USC and Louisville?

Point being, there's been "100% he'll be a Cyclone" talk on here before that ends up not happening.
If you don’t like wild (or even mild) speculation, then you are on the wrong website.