Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How exactly are college sports ruined right now? Also when coaches identify and develop those kids they tend to stay unless they are in a lower tier conference. Most players don’t risk it moving to a new situation with a new staff and teammates they don’t know if everything is clicking.
You are talking to the wrong fanbase with that since we had a Conference Freshman of the Year contender bail on us for another team in our conference after he had a great year starting for us just a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Back to Omaha, this probably sounds weird, but I wish schools had JV or freshman basketball teams. It's just frustrating that the only options are to play young guys in games against the highest level of competition or not play them at all.
It would have been interesting to see if Omaha could grow as a player at a lower level this year while still being in TJ's system. Plus it would be fun as a fan to get to see the redshirt guys and some of the walk-ons get real competitive time on the court.
Was this the rationale in the Maravich days for freshmen playing on their own separate team?

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
After thought, I think more than anything, he seemed position less. His last year at Waukee he played kind of a point forward position. Ball in his hand alot. Jacking up 3’s. From my distant eye, trying to be something he isn’t. (Really trying to work on his game but not playing to his strength),

so, probably not big enough to be a big (and I don’t think that’s what he wanted to be). And probably not the skill set to be a wing (which is what i think he wants to be), at least at this level. Good luck to him. Go down a level and get some playing time.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Was this the rationale in the Maravich days for freshmen playing on their own separate team?
IIRC, before the Marshall plane crash, freshmen were not allowed to play on the "main" (varsity, whatever) team. We Are Marshall has the whole part about the president petitioning the NCAA to allow it because of the circumstances.

(And how does that movie connect directly to ISU? Not the history, the 2007 movie... Winner gets a "like")

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
IIRC, before the Marshall plane crash, freshmen were not allowed to play on the "main" (varsity, whatever) team. We Are Marshall has the whole part about the president petitioning the NCAA to allow it because of the circumstances.

(And how does that movie connect directly to ISU? Not the history, the 2007 movie... Winner gets a "like")
Ryan Sloth

Reactions: VeloClone and dunar

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Not going to read the 15+ I’ve missed the last day or so…

Has there been a tweet put out by anyone listing the schools that have reached out to Omaha in the portal?

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I don't remember if it was Kansas (there's that word again) but he did have a teammate on that Australian team who was granted NCAA eligibililty while his was denied. If I recall correctly neither of them were paid but were on a team where others were paid which was against NCAA rules. It was never clear why the NCAA ruled differently on them, but we all have our suspicions it had to do with the US teams they were going to...
I am fairly sure that Bruton did not get paid. But, travel and room and board were compensated maybe. It seemed very Crineresque as I recall. Some of the dumbest **** the NCAA was able to come up with at the time. They, of course, were able to hone their craft and come up with dumber **** over time though.

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
I think Freshmen were forced to play on a separate team back then, weren't they?

I was thinking more just a place for the last five guys on your bench and any red shirting guys to get some PT. It seems like it would be good for the players and fun for die-hard fans to watch guys like JT Rock play a few games against conference opponents instead of watching him on the bench and wondering how his game is coming along. I'm sure it wouldn't have kept Omaha from leaving, and maybe he would have resented being asked to play on it, but it seems like a better way to get him real game experience.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Not going to read the 15+ I’ve missed the last day or so…

Has there been a tweet put out by anyone listing the schools that have reached out to Omaha in the portal?
Not yet, I've only seen one for Jelani to this point. Would imagine we hear something on the other guys soon, very interested to see what Pav and Omaha's lists look like.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Iowa High School basketball may not have the quantity of athletic players as Chicago, but there is some really solid basketball played and coached in Iowa. In all classes. A lot of really good D1 players have come from Iowa. You mention Candice Parker and Derek Rose? How about Harrison Barnes and Caitlyn Clark? Tamin Lipsey and Audi Crooks? Sure Chicago has a longer list of stars, but Iowa's list isn't small. Not bad for a state of 3 million people.

I'm not saying great players from Iowa wouldn't dominate anywhere, clearly every player you listed would dominate for every high school in every city ever...but a player who has been overrated by services (I used McCaffe x3) can probably be exposed as overrated easier in some urban basketball hotbed than in Iowa.

The other thing I don't get is people say the HS competition quality doesn't matter because AAU brings them all together and is the real talent showcase. Then I'll hear experts and D1 coaches talking about how AAU style basketball is horrible, nothing like real basketball and no great defense. So I can't see how AAU alone is some gold standard by which to evaluate. It would seem to me that watching a matchup of elite high school teams is the best way to judge a player, it's just not every player has that chance.

cjclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 22, 2006
I think Freshmen were forced to play on a separate team back then, weren't they?

I was thinking more just a place for the last five guys on your bench and any red shirting guys to get some PT. It seems like it would be good for the players and fun for die-hard fans to watch guys like JT Rock play a few games against conference opponents instead of watching him on the bench and wondering how his game is coming along. I'm sure it wouldn't have kept Omaha from leaving, and maybe he would have resented being asked to play on it, but it seems like a better way to get him real game experience.
Iowa State had a JV team my first year. Freshmen were eligible.

Reactions: cyclones500

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
Iowa High School basketball may not have the quantity of athletic players as Chicago, but there is some really solid basketball played and coached in Iowa. In all classes. A lot of really good D1 players have come from Iowa. You mention Candice Parker and Derek Rose? How about Harrison Barnes and Caitlyn Clark? Tamin Lipsey and Audi Crooks? Sure Chicago has a longer list of stars, but Iowa's list isn't small. Not bad for a state of 3 million people.
Going back further Ricky Davis was Big10 freshman of the year and one and done player. Kirk H and Nick C I believe both were from IA before they went to KU and long NBA careers

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
And end of junior year Fizer was >> start of junior year Fizer even.
He averaged like 30ppg the last 10 games of that year. He was so focused and such a hard worker always. One of the more dominant offensive big guys from the 90s and 2000's in college basketball. Right up there with guys.like Glenn Robinson and Corliss Williamson. I really thought he would be a perennial all-star in the NBA. I think trying to make him a 3 was his downfall.

Reactions: rosshm16

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I think trying to make him a 3 was his downfall.
I never understood why NBA teams insisted on trying to make him a 3. It just wasn't his game. The story was he was "undersized" for an NBA 4, at 6'8" 260. Fizer was probably only 6'8" on his tallest day in his thickest shoes, but this was also in the era when everyone wanted their 4 to be a Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett body type.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
I previously posted this in the game thread after the ISU win in KC:

"Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread, but Tang and Omaha hugged one another & appeared to have a little discussion in the handshake line. Wondering if our spies picked up on the conversation"

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and CYDJ