‘22 Public Scrimmage #1

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Attended the practice. I was very impressed with Rocco. Great arm, great feet, and very poised. I really think he's gonna push for #2 QB.

Jirel looked strong. Was disappointed that Silas wasn't suited up. He must be dinged up.

Looks like our offense will be more wide open with Dekker's ability to throw down field.
This is precisely what we need. There were too many games last year: Iowa, Texas Tech in first half, Clemson, and WVU games where we just looked too predicable. It was lots of zone handoffs to Breece, 2 TE sets, no stretching of the field vertically or horizontally. And teams knew it, clogged the middle and our offense was stifled at times.

This year we need to throw to open up the run. Ryan Harklau said it on a pregame radio thing today where he said our offense has "15% more downfield room" this year just because of Hunter's arm. That will be huge, as we'll need more explosive plays. Brock was deathly accurate, but he struggled down field on things longer than 15 yds. I'm excited. I still say the strength of the team is the defense, as has been the case this year, but Manning has a golden opportunity to get us to a top 40 offense and get more out of the pass attack. We will need it.

Selfishly I hope Gaines beats out Shaw and becomes that clear number 3 receiver we need. If we can get that moving then teams will not be able to double Hutchinson. RB is a big unknown but it seems it will be by committee, and I'm cool with that.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I’m really high on Rocco Becht. Everything I’ve read and heard about him leads me to believe he’s a gamer. Ideally Hunter blows up and goes to the NFL early after the next 2 seasons then Rocco is ready to take the reins for 2-3 years. JJ Kohl could push both those guys and that would be a good problem to have.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
This is precisely what we need. There were too many games last year: Iowa, Texas Tech in first half, Clemson, and WVU games where we just looked too predicable. It was lots of zone handoffs to Breece, 2 TE sets, no stretching of the field vertically or horizontally. And teams knew it, clogged the middle and our offense was stifled at times.

This year we need to throw to open up the run. Ryan Harklau said it on a pregame radio thing today where he said our offense has "15% more downfield room" this year just because of Hunter's arm. That will be huge, as we'll need more explosive plays. Brock was deathly accurate, but he struggled down field on things longer than 15 yds. I'm excited. I still say the strength of the team is the defense, as has been the case this year, but Manning has a golden opportunity to get us to a top 40 offense and get more out of the pass attack. We will need it.

Selfishly I hope Gaines beats out Shaw and becomes that clear number 3 receiver we need. If we can get that moving then teams will not be able to double Hutchinson. RB is a big unknown but it seems it will be by committee, and I'm cool with that.

We had the best QB in Iowa State history, arguably the best RB in Iowa State history, and one of the best TEs in Iowa State history; and Manning mismanaged the crap out of it. I can’t imagine he’s going to do that much better this season but I sure hope he does.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
A lot of freshman that got here in January look ready for big 12 football. Becht and Gaines looked like they had played together for years. Norton was impressive. Not to mention all of the redshirt freshman. The athletes we bring in now are a different caliber.

Will McLaughlin wearing 23 made me miss Mike Rose but after seeing him against the ones I think he will do that number justice.

Reactions: Aclone and BigCyFan

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
What's wrong with 1,000's of adults drinking beer in a high school parking lot?
When I was a senior at Ames High, there was a student tailgating club/crew. "Team Tailgate" as I recall - they even had orange and black shirts made. I don't know if there was beer but I know they grilled. I played so I couldn't participate.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
We had the best QB in Iowa State history, arguably the best RB in Iowa State history, and one of the best TEs in Iowa State history; and Manning mismanaged the crap out of it. I can’t imagine he’s going to do that much better this season but I sure hope he does.
Dude, you realize it's April and you're already ragging on Manning?

Maybe he's not the greatest offensive coordinator, but Iowa State's offense has ranked in the top half of the conference 3 years in a row now, and I'm quite sure that's never happened before, so he can't be as bad as you say.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You know what’s really cool is that former players are hanging around. I saw a picture of Breece. Enyi has been in Ames and meeting with the recruits that are visiting.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Just looking forward to a fun year and hitting a few games!

I have never seen Baylor in person.
I have not seen K-State in person since the 1997 Cotton Bowl vs. BYU.

So, those are the two most important games for me.

As for the others...

I saw both Texas Tech and West Virginia @ Iowa State in 2020.
I last saw OU in the 2018 Orange Bowl vs. Alabama.
I last saw Ohio Univ. in 2017 vs. Central Michigan.

I've never seen SEMSU, but I don't care for FBS vs. FCS match-ups, so I am going to skip that game. Will skip the Thursday Night OU game too. Just a pain in the butt.

Let's Go State!

Reactions: Aclone

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
That shows what the effects are of an average offensive line.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana

We also have the WR transfer from Colorado this fall that may challenge for that third spot

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You've got to like the fact he's seen Dekkers in practice and decided to return. If he didn't have confidence in his capabilities he may have made a different decision.

Perhaps he also knows what's coming up from the Oline etc. that makes it easier for everyone.

One can hope.

Reactions: Aclone