15 years at Cyclone Fanatic

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
A few months ago @coolerifyoudid posted he's been at CF for 10 years and today marks 15 years for me.

I said it in another thread but it's worth repeating. I'm tremendously grateful for @Jeremy's vision and bringing CF to all of us.

Also big thanks to the current ownership group and @ChrisMWilliams for all their efforts in always looking to improve CF and make it the amazing message board that it is.

I love that at CF yes the main focus is our beloved Cyclones but that it's open to all aspects of life. If I had a dime for every story I've told a co-worker or family member that started out with "at this ISU message board Cyclone Fanatic" I'd been pretty well off.

I also mentioned that when I was going to do my 15 year anniversary it would include my first thread which many long term fanatics probably can't recall but I was one of many who did an introduction thread. Below is the thread and also below is my first post from said thread.

New to Cy Fanatic

Hello all,

I joined this forum a week or so ago and wanted to introduce myself. I think I will like this site. I am a fan of all things ISU but my favorite is WBB. I'm glad to see this site has a forum specifically for ISU wbb discussion because other ISU forums do not have that.

Now I'm still a regular on the ISU wbb boards, but many people would probably have that down the list of what I'm known for. So while reminiscing I decided to take a look back at everything I've been apart of and continue to do.

Things started with the game of Mafia. In June of 2011 @ISUAgronomist did a old school WWF theme and I jumped in. He paired me in a regular innocent pm role with the similar named CyclonesRule.

I was immediately hooked and second game I played was a @CyCrazy College football themed mafia and I was paired in a 2 person Nebraska mafia with @MLawrence who like me was a rookie in the previous WWF theme.
Mlaw and I would go on to win with both of us surviving till the end. It's probably more impressive than anything Nebraska has done in that time. :)

I would then go on to mayor or host the games. Between hosting and playing I've probably been in 24-36 games and by some given the nickname "The Godfather" although there are 2 godfathers 1 being the movie and the other our own John Walters. One highlight as mayor was the @Fitzy @Farnsworth who is the real Leonard in the TMNT Theme.

But the mafia moment that is dear to my heart is when over 50 fanatics came together to play a game of mafia dedicated to our friend and Mlaw's brother longtimeclone who we lost suddenly and way to soon in 2015.

In 2013 was the first football gameday thread. I did the KU/ISU Ice Bowl. I then did 3 more FB games in 2014 and started regularly doing football in 2015.

Basketball gamedays started with conference play in 2014. Only extended break I took was in 2021 as recovered from covid putting me in the hospital and the recovery time I took after I was released.

2013 and 2014 saw me host 2 versions of CF Big Brother both won by @mj4cy .

2013 also saw the start of CF pickup ball. I was one of few non students but the main core was CF who were in school. Now obviously they are done with school and many have found significant others and have little fanatics of their own. :)

It was also the CF pickup crew along with some other fanatics who came together when I was going through a particular rough time and presented me with and ISU 32 jersey with Rulzzz on the back. It's something I will always treasure.

2016 I started hosting CF NFL survivor. In 2018 I took over hosting duties for @Omaha Cy Big 12 elimination game and in 2020 I took over for @Cy$ hosting college football survivor where I get lots of behind the scenes help from @ImJustKCClone.

In April of 2018 I gave a topic suggestion to @MeanDean and @cyclones500 for their On That Note series. They brought me on as a contributor but then I soon was asked to join and make the duo a trio. I was very honored as we all are spaced out age wise where we cover a wide range of music tastes. They have become 2 very good friends.

Then this offseason when I should be resting up I've added becoming a regular committee member and host for the CF Tournament Bracket Series. I plan for this to be a regular thing going forward in offseason's going forward to help pass the time.

On the topic of good friends at the top of the list is @Cycsk. I met him around the Alamo Bowl and I helped him pass out Alamo Bowl medals. He also gave me a chance to experience Cy's House of Trivia in 2022 and this winter bought a ticket so I could experience the return of Hunter to Hilton. He's an amazing person and glad to call him a friend.

Usually on message boards you rarely get to put a face to a username, but I've met many people on CF and everyone has been amazing and cool. This board is truly like an extended family.

I'm sure I've missed something but I can always post it later on in the thread. it's been an amazing 15 years and here is to many more.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Congrats!

Trips down memory lane. I believe the site launched in February of 2006, though some of the original posts were lost in the various early system migrations and others are locked in the "CF Archive" forum. The Iowa State community is an amazing place with amazing people. Loyal through and through.

Last edited:

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
Trips down memory lane. I believe the site launched in February of 2006, though some of the original posts were lost in the various early system migrations and others are locked in the "CF Archive" forum. The Iowa State community is an amazing place with amazing people. Loyal through and through.
That’s correct. I joined in March 2006 from a Strangetalk link. Good times!

Also, happy 15 years, Rulzzz. It’s a great community here and you’re one of the reasons for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Pretty sure I was hanging out on the ESPN message board and Jeremy (or someone?) strong armed me into coming over to CF. Been here since 2008 as well. Time flies when you’re having fun! Thanks for the post Rulzzz.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Pretty sure I was hanging out on the ESPN message board and Jeremy (or someone?) strong armed me into coming over to CF. Been here since 2008 as well. Time flies when you’re having fun! Thanks for the post Rulzzz.
I was probably on the ESPN board with you but trolling Ubben on why he wouldn't come to Ames.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
14 1/2 years for me. If memory serves me correctly, I found this board when Rashon Clark's then girlfriend was on here arguing with people about Wesley Johnson transferring.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Gee whiz, I’ve been here almost 13 years. Doesn’t seem nearly that long. I originally joined mostly to post in the football Gameday threads. I’ve done some different kinds of posting as the years have gone by … ;)

EDIT: I spent a lot of time clicking “show older posts” to find my origin story … turns out I joined in December of 2010 so I could talk about artificial turf in a thread titled “Wimpy NFL Players,” lol. Then I didn’t post again for almost a year, until the 2011 football season, when Big 12 realignment was a huge topic.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I just said this a few weeks ago, but I joined this board in a middle school study hall. Pretty sure I had no business being on here and definitely posted some pretty stupid stuff. In December, I’ll hit 10 years on here somehow

Well fwiw those of us well past middle school have all posted some really stupid stuff.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Gee whiz, I’ve been here almost 13 years. Doesn’t seem nearly that long. I originally joined mostly to post in the football Gameday threads. I’ve done some different kinds of posting as the years have gone by … ;)

EDIT: I spent a lot of time clicking “show older posts” to find my origin story … turns out I joined in December of 2010 so I could talk about artificial turf in a thread titled “Wimpy NFL Players,” lol. Then I didn’t post again for almost a year, until the 2011 football season, when Big 12 realignment was a huge topic.

I did this too at first, then discovered that the search function on the forum gives you the ability to search by username and specify a time period. Just an FYI.

My first posts here were asking others about their experiences before I acquired my first smartphone. Talking about that now feels a little like wondering what it would be like to get electricity installed in my home in the 1920s or something.

A few days later, Nebraska and Colorado announced they were leaving the Big 12.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Feb 2007 was when I signed up. I remember Paul whining about someone posting premium info from his site on CF so I checked it out. Now you're stuck with me.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
I had to go look and I joined in July of 2008. WOW! I wonder how many hours i have spent on this site? I have learned a lot of stuff and gotten some good information from here. Thanks to all.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz