2012-2013 Conference Games on Watch ESPN?

IST8CIVILENGR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2011
Pittsburg, KS
I was looking at the schedule on here an noticed that alot of the games are listed as being on Big 12 network. Last year I watched nearly every conference game that wasnt televised in my area on Watch ESPN. I started checking around and it looks like either ESPN has not posted that they will be on Watch ESPN or they will not be broadcasting them there this year. I thought with our big bad TV deal all games would at least be broadcast, is this only for football? Can anyone shed any light on this. I already have Cyclones.tv to watch tall the noncon games.

IST8CIVILENGR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2011
Pittsburg, KS
When I checked that was not there. Yeah I actually watched everything on my ESPN App on my Xbox which is ESPN 3now that I think about it. I am with you not sure what the difference is between watch ESPN and ESPN 3

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Differences are

1. ESPN3 doesn't include events on ESPN/2/U (for the most part...its more complicated than that, but that's the basics). But Watch ESPN app includes everything.

2. ESPN3 is for computer and WatchESPN is for mobile devices

So I'm guessing all ISU conference games that aren't on ESPN national will be available on ESPN3.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Here is some explanation from ESPN regarding Watch ESPN:
Information About WatchESPN

You are right, although ESPN3 is described as a channel of WatchESPN.com (fka, ESPN3 ... fka, ESPN360).

A couple of notes on what I have encountered this fall. I think these are new wrinkles since last year:
1) When they say that "Watch ESPN is available at no extra cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their subscription", it means that if you have only base cable, you can only view games that are on ESPN3.
2) Furthermore, access to games on ESPN3 is subject to regional blackout. For example, here is the blackout map for the WVU @ Gonzaga Nov 13:
Watch Live Sports Events and ESPN Programs Online and on Mobile Applications - WatchESPN

One feature of the blackout link is it will tell you whether the blackout will affect you or not. That way you don't have to wait for the shock right at tipoff, when it is otherwise too late to make it to your favorite sports bar.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I think most of my confusion between WatchESPN and ESPN3 comes from the fact that I can get both on my laptop and both on my iPad. So I've never understood why it needs to be two separate entities. Regardless, I'm happy that I'll be getting every conference game.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
2. ESPN3 is for computer and WatchESPN is for mobile devices

WatchESPN is certainly available for computer, but presently it is only available from Bright House Networks, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon FiOS, and you must have an appropriate cable TV subscription to get it.

ESPN3 is available through many ISPs, and normally doesn't require a cable TV subscription. However, TWC (and perhaps some others) require that you have an appropriate cable TV subscription to even get ESPN3.