[Added Jason Essex] 2022 Class Breakdown

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
By making the most impact, do you mean his first year or his over all career?
The phrase “this year” was probably a clue.

Freyler could be that guy in his overall career too—but there are so many talented kids in this class, it’s hard to pick one.

We’ve purchased miles aplenty on that conversation. Tyler Maro and Howard Brown both need to transform their bodies before we so just what we get. The linebackers all intrigue me. Noel probably has a place on the field right away. Sanders will be that third “or” guy on the RB depth chart. The list goes on and on.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
The phrase “this year” was probably a clue.

Freyler could be that guy in his overall career too—but there are so many talented kids in this class, it’s hard to pick one.

We’ve purchased miles aplenty on that conversation. Tyler Maro and Howard Brown both need to transform their bodies before we so just what we get. The linebackers all intrigue me. Noel probably has a place on the field right away. Sanders will be that third “or” guy on the RB depth chart. The list goes on and on.
Howard Brown could play today.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'm saying he may have the best body right now out of the recruits. He's 310 without much bad weight on him.

He's still going to have to learn to play DL, something he didn't do much of in HS. I won't be surprised to see him get some snaps in obvious situations...like 3rd and long, go get the QB. But he's going to need some time to turn in to an every down player.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and t-noah

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Sorry, first year. It's going to be difficult for any freshman to get significant snaps this season bc of the talent we have coming back.
He's still going to have to learn to play DL, something he didn't do much of in HS. I won't be surprised to see him get some snaps in obvious situations...like 3rd and long, go get the QB. But he's going to need some time to turn in to an every down player.
We should move this conversation to the 2021 Breakdown https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/eli-sanders-added-2021-class-breakdown.256034/page-5

Reactions: MrPeske

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Allar has been getting A LOT of big time offers: Penn St, Mich, A&M.
He really likes the cyclones, but who knows if he thinks he's "bigger" than us.
He's our priority, but is he the priority for the other teams as well?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Allar has been getting A LOT of big time offers: Penn St, Mich, A&M.
He really likes the cyclones, but who knows if he thinks he's "bigger" than us.
He's our priority, but is he the priority for the other teams as well?

I just checked out his tape. He has a very effortless throwing motion with a good touch to the outside as well as deep. He also has some pretty good hands on his team catching those throws.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
A program wants quarterbacks that you can build an offense around. Drew Allar definitely fits that bill...

Reactions: Statefan10

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
As far as Corey Phillips goes, there are three key aspects about him involving his recruitment.

First thing, we are recruiting others (Raridon, Burkle, couple others) who are simply better than Corey Phillips is. They have offers and I guarantee that one of those guys will commit to Iowa State.
Second, we would not even know his name if he was not in state, he wouldn't be on our radar. I'm not as big on winning the state as others. I'm all for winning the talent you want no matter where it is. Being in state makes it easier to pull them in, but when you get farther down the list, it depends on ability.
Third, the staff is not dumb, they would offer him if they thought that they could transform him into something spectacular.

For me, I see the size and the athletic ability. I think he is missing the "nasty" though that other recruits have. He doesn't finish runs, he doesn't run crisp routes, I need to see the "mean" that I saw in Tyler Moore and I see in dudes like McLaughlin and Sulka

Interested in your "winning the state" comment. Obviously, I agree that getting talent is #1 regardless of where the kid is from. Also, every coach has history with different regions and will go back to those familiar areas to get recruits. For example, Campbell has been very successful in OH, MI (15 recruits from 2016 - 2019, ISU had 0 from 2002 - 2015). Finally, the best programs find guys across the country not just in their home states.

That said, I do think there is a lot of value in locking down your home state, and in the case of IA, the surrounding areas as well (KA, MO, IL, MN, etc.) to build a strong local pipeline into your program. I think that Campbell and his staff are trying to do this and are starting to have more success. In the meantime, they are not limiting themselves to the talent they land in that area have been doing great collecting guys from across the country.

However, most programs with sustained success are able to get more than their share of local talent... (yes understand that sustained success helps them to get the most talented local kids - chicken / egg argument). I understand that Iowa does not have enough D1 talent to fully support a single program, let alone two. However, repeatable recruiting success is generally easier to maintain if you are able to build up a strong local base to build on.

This also puts you in the conversation when a top tier / blue blood caliber recruit comes through the state. Guys from OH, MI that have offers from tosu or mich, etc. will be much harder to get than similar talent that comes through IA. Not that you will get them all but I think it gives you a shot that is simply not there with guys outside the state (note, I am not saying give up on a guy because he is out of your league, this staff punched well above their weight class in many cases - Purdy, ISU over tamu, etc.).

In the end, yes, get talent where ever you can. But I think the program could take another step forward with a strong local pipeline augmenting the guys they get nationally. Then once every 4-5 yrs, landing a blue blood level, in-state kid can give you some of the elite "5-Star" type guys (recruits like Xavier Nwankpa, or Allen Lazard for example).

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Interested in your "winning the state" comment. Obviously, I agree that getting talent is #1 regardless of where the kid is from. Also, every coach has history with different regions and will go back to those familiar areas to get recruits. For example, Campbell has been very successful in OH, MI (15 recruits from 2016 - 2019, ISU had 0 from 2002 - 2015). Finally, the best programs find guys across the country not just in their home states.

That said, I do think there is a lot of value in locking down your home state, and in the case of IA, the surrounding areas as well (KA, MO, IL, MN, etc.) to build a strong local pipeline into your program. I think that Campbell and his staff are trying to do this and are starting to have more success. In the meantime, they are not limiting themselves to the talent they land in that area have been doing great collecting guys from across the country.

However, most programs with sustained success are able to get more than their share of local talent... (yes understand that sustained success helps them to get the most talented local kids - chicken / egg argument). I understand that Iowa does not have enough D1 talent to fully support a single program, let alone two. However, repeatable recruiting success is generally easier to maintain if you are able to build up a strong local base to build on.

This also puts you in the conversation when a top tier / blue blood caliber recruit comes through the state. Guys from OH, MI that have offers from tosu or mich, etc. will be much harder to get than similar talent that comes through IA. Not that you will get them all but I think it gives you a shot that is simply not there with guys outside the state (note, I am not saying give up on a guy because he is out of your league, this staff punched well above their weight class in many cases - Purdy, ISU over tamu, etc.).

In the end, yes, get talent where ever you can. But I think the program could take another step forward with a strong local pipeline augmenting the guys they get nationally. Then once every 4-5 yrs, landing a blue blood level, in-state kid can give you some of the elite "5-Star" type guys (recruits like Xavier Nwankpa, or Allen Lazard for example).
I think that winning the state was MUCH more important in the 80's and 90's. Back then, you had limited televised games, so if you didn't get the guys in your state, good luck finding players that have heard of you.

Now we have the internet, many more channels and recruiting all over the country is SOOO much easier and more accessible.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That is where I have to disagree with you. I agree that top 15 recruiting programs don’t take projects. But ISU isn’t anywhere near a top 15 recruiting program. So in order to perform like a top 15 team as far as results on the field you need to take a chance with guys who maybe aren’t ideal size, don’t have a clear position, or are raw skill wise.
I agree as a PWO, not as a scholly though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron