2023-2024 Non-Con Basketball Schedule

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Didn't see much discussion on this. Outside of the ESPN tournament which is underwhelming compared to our previous few non-con tournaments...woof.

We play one true road game, and its DePaul, before Big 12 play. Not worried about the strength of schedule because we will have plenty of conference opportunities but the last two year's we've had some pretty good challenges and experience in the non-con. Won't get much of that this year.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Didn't see much discussion on this. Outside of the ESPN tournament which is underwhelming compared to our previous few non-con tournaments...woof.

We play one true road game, and its DePaul, before Big 12 play. Not worried about the strength of schedule because we will have plenty of conference opportunities but the last two year's we've had some pretty good challenges and experience in the non-con. Won't get much of that this year.

This is a young team, I'm ok with a softer non-con.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007

it is too bad we drew DePaul in the Big East game. I think it is important to have a tough "road game" in the non-con. The tournaments can provide a tough opponent, but not an atmosphere like we might see in conference.

If I was a season ticket holder, I'd be annoyed with the non-conference home schedule outside of Iowa. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't have a few cupcakes, but give me at least one other interesting game.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
This is a young team, I'm ok with a softer non-con.

Agree but I think I'd rather see at least one "tough" road game to prepare for the Big 12. Non-con SOS won't matter because the Big 12 will be so strong but preparation for Big 12 play is really important with a young team. Doesn't do much good to beat up on 10 creampuffs...even with a young team, in my opinion.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I get softening it up for a young team but the Big 12 won't be as tough on paper without the round robin. Would have been nice to replace the sec challenge with another p6 team. Looks like more opportunities for bad losses than good wins.

Reactions: drlove

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I still don't get the big deal with the non conf schedule

if you're argument is not bringing any big name schools into hilton, well we never do that.

If you're argument it is going to hurt our overall schedule, we will still have 20+ Q1 games.

The ESPN tournament will probably yield us 3 Q1 games as well.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

if you're argument is not bringing any big name schools into hilton, well we never do that.

If you're argument it is going to hurt our overall schedule, we will still have 20+ Q1 games.

If anything, Iowa has shown that you don't get penalized by a cup cake non con. In fact, Fran has used it to drive up Iowa's offensive efficiency numbers which NET absolutely loves.

Reactions: GT25Ump

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
If anything, Iowa has shown that you don't get penalized by a cup cake non con. In fact, Fran has used it to drive up Iowa's offensive efficiency numbers which NET absolutely loves.
Since Iowa is at home, that could be a Q2 game, but possibly Q1.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
It did hurt Oklahoma State last year however. Iowa gets in because they a bunch of ******* conference games to match their ******* non conference. OSU had a slip up and then couldn't make up the ground in conference play

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
It did hurt Oklahoma State last year however. Iowa gets in because they a bunch of ******* conference games to match their ******* non conference. OSU had a slip up and then couldn't make up the ground in conference play
Sorta.

They went 9-4 in non-conf play with losses to Southern Illinois (Home) UCF (Neutral) UConn (Away) and VTech (Neutral)

5-3 in Q2
4-1 in Q3

• Winner
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I know you can't just snap fingers and get an additional home-away or 1-off neutral P6 program to schedule every year. For 23-24 it's a slight detriment with the end of B12-SEC, but then again we don't know the strength of opponent we might have gotten. I would like to have an addition P5 or even a perennially competitive "P7."

Unless ISU becomes annual powerhouse our non-con is going to be heavy on buy games.

• Winner
Reactions: isucy86

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It would be nice to see 1 more high profile P5 school on the non-con schedule. But I think that will happen with 2024/25 season if we are top 4-5 team in Big12 standings. Outside of holiday tournaments and conference challenges- it seems like non-con games between P5 schools is driven by ESPN & FOX.

As far as next year's team being young or high roster turnover, that is a fallacy in today's college game.

With Lipsey, Jones, Paveletzke, Gilbert, Watson, King, Ward and R Jones that's an experienced core to build around with the freshman.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I mean, they really aren't exciting games in general. The two tune-ups before the ESPN tourney make sense. DePaul and Iowa right after that fit well.

The break games are never good opponents, anyway. Obviously, a loss is terrible, but we're not losing to that bunch of nobodies.

The Fred years generated enough attention to get us those games with Michigan, BYU and whoever. We'll have to be a program that generates a lot more attention and excitement to get those again.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

Texas A&M and FAU are going to be top-20 (if not top-10) teams.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

Based on Torvik 2024 predictions

Boise - Q2
Butler - Q2
FAU - Q1
Penn St - Q3
A&M - Q1
VCU - Q2
VT - Q2