***2023-24 Mens College Basketball Thread***

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Fran's been making excuses all night for Kansas saying it's impossible to win on the road in the Big XII. They are soon to be 1-5 with the only win being the last place Cowboys.
He ain’t wrong. What a meat grinder.

KU only like 6-7 deep. Why they were keeping starters out there is a joke. F them tho….

I would be happy for tech but pop Isaacs and pat mahomes so screw them too

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Kansas meet woodshed. Has to be one of their worst conference losses.

Ties for 8th worst MOV of all time, tied 3rd worst MOV in conference (incidentally was Tech that time too), worst MOV to a conference unranked opponent.

E8hsWAy.png

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
A roster issue was one of them. They have a McDonald’s all American coming off the bench for Christ sake they’re not going to make me feel sorry for them any time soon
I know why they aren't that good, matter of fact nearly everyone on this board knows why.. I just get sick of Fran making excusing by saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to win in this league on the road.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Kansas is not even a Sweet Sixteen team. They aren’t very good especially out a starter.

They're just a very different team in away games. They did beat a solid team in Baylor a couple nights ago, dominated Houston, and beat UConn earlier in the season.. And 2-1 in Q1 neutral games.

Its like theyre just a normal big 12 team now with regards to that, instead of being the typical dominant team home and away they've often been in the past.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
This Timberlake dude from ku isn't playable. He is totally lost on defense. You can tell Self doesn't want to play him, between he and Furphy, they can't stop anyone.
They looked like Iowa out there. In a lot of ways. Bunch of dorky white dudes with bad haircuts getting torched on defense with a head coach getting tossed.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
They looked like Iowa out there. In a lot of ways. Bunch of dorky white dudes with bad haircuts getting torched on defense with a head coach getting tossed.
A lack of depth in the Big 12 will eventually just wear you down...guys play too many minutes, get injured because of the minutes, and it waterfalls from there. Self certainly knows what is going on...his heart wasn't in it as he double T'd, then smiled as he walked off the court. You have to go 8-9 players if you want to survive...

• Agree
Reactions: exCYtable and Jdk

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
A lack of depth in the Big 12 will eventually just wear you down...guys play too many minutes, get injured because of the minutes, and it waterfalls from there. Self certainly knows what is going on...his heart wasn't in it as he double T'd, then smiled as he walked off the court. You have to go 8-9 players if you want to survive...
exactly! This is why about a month ago I was thinking we would need more than we think from Watson and even Omaha.

Its like every game in this league is an NCAA tournament game.
Followed up by the Big12 Tournament where if you are 1-4 seed you basically are playing an elite 8 game first round.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It's really odd that programs that should be NIL powerhouses like KU, Kentucky and even Duke are lacking depth. While schools like ISU and BYU have won big games without their star players this year.

Reactions: chadly82

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's really odd that programs that should be NIL powerhouses like KU, Kentucky and even Duke are lacking depth. While schools like ISU and BYU have won big games without their star players this year.
Could be that guys that go shopping for NIL are looking more for NIL money than anything else?

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
He ain’t wrong. What a meat grinder.

KU only like 6-7 deep. Why they were keeping starters out there is a joke. F them tho….

I would be happy for tech but pop Isaacs and pat mahomes so screw them too
KU’s depth excuse is laughable. Fran should be honest by saying--“Bill is kind of limited this year as he doesn’t have his usual allotment of McD All-Americans”

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Could be that guys that go shopping for NIL are looking more for NIL money than anything else?
A huge part of the Kansas NIL problem is that they put all of their eggs into getting a few dudes that Self now has to play/pay. Even though they are struggling.

They are getting some hard "negative" recruiting aimed at them, Just going to KU and developing and eventually playing is no longer an option. They'll pay a million bucks to buy a guy to start over you every year if needed. That's why they have no depth.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
A huge part of the Kansas NIL problem is that they put all of their eggs into getting a few dudes that Self now has to play/pay. Even though they are struggling.

They are getting some hard "negative" recruiting aimed at them, Just going to KU and developing and eventually playing is no longer an option. They'll pay a million bucks to buy a guy to start over you every year if needed. That's why they have no depth.
The depth issue is pretty easy. Jackson, the McD's AA they thought would help right away isn't ready. Timberlake was expected to be the best shooter on the team off the bench but he can't buy a basket. Morris was the best athlete and got kicked off. Plus they are short 2 scholarships because of NCAA sanctions.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
The depth issue is pretty easy. Jackson, the McD's AA they thought would help right away isn't ready. Timberlake was expected to be the best shooter on the team off the bench but he can't buy a basket. Morris was the best athlete and got kicked off.
How is your NIL money distributed? Just curious since I know you are a Jayhawk fan. No animosity. Just asking?

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
How is your NIL money distributed? Just curious since I know you are a Jayhawk fan. No animosity. Just asking?
I've only heard rumors that the big money went to Dickinson, everyone else got some. Have no idea what kind of money that is. I've heard football has a policy no incoming freshmen get NIL, you have to earn it on the field first. Been told basketball doesn't have that policy. I'm sure the NIL deal will become more of an issue as the gap starts to really widen with the Big 10 & SEC getting future media contracts that dwarf ours but currently there isn't really that much difference.