2023 NFL Draft

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I like Jeremiah’s evaluations in the past, but two of his first round picks surprised me— Van Ness in (and ahead of Stroud) and Ringo out.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Cyclones in round 1 is nice. Rare, but nice.
Underwhelming draft feels like to me. I think #2 is a reach.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
QB's in this class feel underwhelming. Any team drafting for QB need with intentions of starting them right away might have a disaster on their hands. And as we all know, the key is just waiting until the 7th round to draft a QB. (That and having an elite defense, elite playmakers on offense, and trading for another elite playmaker midseason)

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
QB's in this class feel underwhelming. Any team drafting for QB need with intentions of starting them right away might have a disaster on their hands. And as we all know, the key is just waiting until the 7th round to draft a QB. (That and having an elite defense, elite playmakers on offense, and trading for another elite playmaker midseason)
Or, waiting until “Mr. Irrelevant” to draft your QB?!?

Reactions: EricND and cyfan21

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Cyclones in round 1 is nice. Rare, but nice.
Underwhelming draft feels like to me. I think #2 is a reach.
I can't figure out why the consensus is Young over Stroud. Maybe I'm missing something but Stroud looks like the better quarterback to me and he's actually got legitimate NFL size.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
The one mock draft I saw had McDonald as a linebacker. Will he be able to play that in the NFL? I realize he's maybe undersized for a defensive NFL end, but thought in college we moved him out of the LB position after a year.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The one mock draft I saw had McDonald as a linebacker. Will he be able to play that in the NFL? I realize he's maybe undersized for a defensive NFL end, but thought in college we moved him out of the LB position after a year.
3/4 LBs are DEs a lot of the time. Aldon Smith was a pro bowl LB when he played for the 49ers.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

LB in a 3/4 defense, which is a stand up pass rusher.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
What is the over/under on Cyclones drafted?

McDonald and X - for sure.

Anderson?

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
If I was wanting a QB, I wouldn’t take one in this class. Next years QB class looks better with the UNC guy and Williams from USC.

Reactions: Buzzer68

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I used to be embarrassingly big into the draft. I barely follow it anymore. I'm not sure why.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Why wouldn't you?
I believe he is a lesser version of Kyler Murray that can’t even win his conference championship despite it being the weakest of the power 5. I haven’t seen enough to convince me that he can compete and succeed at the highest levels. I see him on the same career trajectory as all of the Zach Wilson.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
The Athletic has some notes about Anthony Johnson at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

From the Players to Watch article:

Anthony Johnson, S, Iowa State​

2022 stats: 65 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 2 INTs, 2 blocked kicks

A converted cornerback, Anthony Johnson’s career stat line looks more like that of a five-year linebacker: 164 solo tackles in 62 games, over 200 total career stops and no interceptions prior to the two he grabbed in 2022. It’s tough to project anything when it comes to players from Iowa State defensive coordinator Jon Heacock’s three-high safety scheme, given the amount of soft zone and drop-eight coverage. So, I’ll be eager to see how Johnson navigates space and shows a feel for the game throughout the week.

From the Practice Notes article:

Best players on the perimeter​

Defense: Anthony Johnson Jr., DB, Iowa State

In the players to watch preview for the Collegiate Bowl, I mentioned Johnson (6-0, 207) as a player I wanted to see in an NFL defense because he was coming from a three-high-safety college system. Johnson isn’t the most comfortable in one-on-one matchups, but it’s easy to see how he accumulated more than 200 career tackles — he flew downhill with abandon multiple times this week.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I believe he is a lesser version of Kyler Murray that can’t even win his conference championship despite it being the weakest of the power 5. I haven’t seen enough to convince me that he can compete and succeed at the highest levels. I see him on the same career trajectory as all of the Zach Wilson.
Kyler is definitely a better runner than Williams but I think Williams has a way better arm. Time will tell, as will the situation that Williams gets put into, but I think he's going to be a stud

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron