2024-25 ISU FB Early Predictions and Offseason Discussion

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I have a feeling that TCU and Tech will both jump a couple of spots on this list. Will they is debatable.
It's amazing how the outlook going into the new Big12 can change in a matter of 4 months. Last off-season was a love fest by the media about TCU and TT being the new faces of the Big12 with OuT's departure to SEC. Now, they are in the "prove-it" group.

Reactions: t-noah

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I’ve got 7-5 with the potential for 8-4 or better (will believe that when I see it)

UND - W
Iowa - L
Ark State - W
Houston - W
Tech - toss up, lean W
Baylor - W
K State - toss up, lean L
Kansas - toss up, lean L
Cincinnati- W
UCF - toss up, lean L
Utah - L
WVU - toss up, lean W

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I don't know why everyone just assumes Utah is going to be so good. They were not impressive this year at all.
Because their AA candidate at QB was out all year. Imagine playing 2021 without Brock Purdy and having to play Ashton Cook, Freshman Aidan Bouman, and Freshman Hunter Dekkers

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
WV too high
WVU should beat every team on their schedule--they wont, but they should. that includes PSU in Morgantown.

I think most people dont realize what WVU has coming back, including the best qb in the big 12 (according to PFF, GG is in top 5 returning qbs in the country), 4 starting linemen, all of its te's and wrs, plus picked up jalen bray(sp) from oklahoma state, and has maybe the best 1-2 punch at rb in the country in freshman all-americam J. white, and the 240 lb bruiser who was hurt for most of 2023.

WVU's defense had a good dline last year, has added the best edge rushed wvu has had in the nb era, an all-conference dt from troy, a lb from ohio state was the highest rated kid in ohio coming out of high school), and some secondary help that wvu outbid a ton of teams for.

wvu also had a crazy number of lbs and secondary guys hurt last year--many will be back.

in short, barring another horrid injury year, wvu has the talent to score on anyone, and the depth for its d not to get ground down by the 4th quarter.

WVU did lost 2 contributors on dline to portal, but wvu refused to match offers--meaning they wernt needed, wvu lost zack frazier, all-american center and a starting lb and consensus all-american corner to graduation, but that's it.

WVU should have a much-improved roster in 2024, plus with a year's experience under his belt--good luck stopping garett greene from running wild.

by my ranking, wvu would be in top 5, and should be a threat to beat every team on its schedule.

The main difference in wvu now and them (when isu last played wvu), is wvu has its NIL situation figured out, and it has kept everyone it wanted to keep. plus added more talent in spots of need.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
WVU should beat every team on their schedule--they wont, but they should. that includes PSU in Morgantown.

I think most people dont realize what WVU has coming back, including the best qb in the big 12 (according to PFF, GG is in top 5 returning qbs in the country), 4 starting linemen, all of its te's and wrs, plus picked up jalen bray(sp) from oklahoma state, and has maybe the best 1-2 punch at rb in the country in freshman all-americam J. white, and the 240 lb bruiser who was hurt for most of 2023.

WVU's defense had a good dline last year, has added the best edge rushed wvu has had in the nb era, an all-conference dt from troy, a lb from ohio state was the highest rated kid in ohio coming out of high school), and some secondary help that wvu outbid a ton of teams for.

wvu also had a crazy number of lbs and secondary guys hurt last year--many will be back.

in short, barring another horrid injury year, wvu has the talent to score on anyone, and the depth for its d not to get ground down by the 4th quarter.

WVU did lost 2 contributors on dline to portal, but wvu refused to match offers--meaning they wernt needed, wvu lost zack frazier, all-american center and a starting lb and consensus all-american corner to graduation, but that's it.

WVU should have a much-improved roster in 2024, plus with a year's experience under his belt--good luck stopping garett greene from running wild.

by my ranking, wvu would be in top 5, and should be a threat to beat every team on its schedule.

The main difference in wvu now and them (when isu last played wvu), is wvu has its NIL situation figured out, and it has kept everyone it wanted to keep. plus added more talent in spots of need.
But their teeth are all still crooked!

Kidding. Good to know. Sounds like the Mountaineers will be solid.

• Friendly
Reactions: Aclone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Because their AA candidate at QB was out all year. Imagine playing 2021 without Brock Purdy and having to play Ashton Cook, Freshman Aidan Bouman, and Freshman Hunter Dekkers

I know Rising is a very good college QB. How good is he? What do NFL scouts say about him?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I am sure that they will be better than they have been for some time, but a tougher schedule and the weight of expectations are both harder hills to climb than you often expect.

• Agree
Reactions: Nolaeer

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I’ve got 7-5 with the potential for 8-4 or better (will believe that when I see it)

UND - W
Iowa - L
Ark State - W
Houston - W
Tech - toss up, lean W
Baylor - W
K State - toss up, lean L
Kansas - toss up, lean L
Cincinnati- W
UCF - toss up, lean L
Utah - L
WVU - toss up, lean W
Mostly agree. I would probably switch the leans on UCF and WV.

7-5, 5-4 conference. I don't see much upside though.

The defense needs safety depth, improved LB play, and a couple DL to emerge. The LB play I think can happen, since they were playing a lot of very young guys. Safety depth maybe, but I don't see anything on the DL that would be a big improvement.

The offense skill players are great, no problems there. A dominant OL and they would be set to avg 40 ppg. And I'd be optimistic on the OL given their improvement through the year, except they got their salad tossed so bad by Memphis (Memphis!) I lost all confidence in that. So they will be good but erratic.

Kicker is something to worry about.

And of course, under CMC they have shown you can absolutely out-scheme and out-smart this staff and beat them in any given game. Costs them a game or two every year.

Reactions: ZRF

HarryClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2021
The offense skill players are great, no problems there. A dominant OL and they would be set to avg 40 ppg. And I'd be optimistic on the OL given their improvement through the year, except they got their salad tossed so bad by Memphis (Memphis!) I lost all confidence in that. So they will be good but erratic.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
Thought I'd get a new thread rolling now that people are starting to digest who's coming and going, what the schedule looks like, etc. A lot of teams return key pieces on offense with very little turnover in skill positions from this past season. Will that be enough to keep relatively status-quo? What team will surprise?

The first "Too Early" Big 12 Power Rankings I've seen...

1. Arizona
  2. Oklahoma State
  3. Utah
  4. Kansas
  5. West Virginia
  6. Kansas State
  7. Iowa State
  8. TCU
  9. Texas Tech
  10. UCF
  11. Colorado
  12. BYU
  13. Baylor
  14. Arizona State
  15. Houston
  16. Cincinnati
If we can run the ball with improved O-Line play we have a good shot at the title.

Reactions: Aclone