2024-25 ISU FB Early Predictions and Offseason Discussion

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
For those interested in these type of things DraftKings put out spreads on a few ISU games:

Iowa State 2.5 point underdog at Iowa

Iowa State a 10 point underdog at Utah

Iowa State a 1 point underdog vs. K-State

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
That's what I said about Ohio last year...

Granted these are both at home, and I do agree they are 90%+ win probability. We also don't have food poisoning, breaking in a new QB, et al.

In addition to the factors you mentioned, Ohio (10 win season) >>> Arkansas State (barely eaked into a bowl in the bad Sun Belt) >>>>>>> North Dakota (got shutout 27-0 to a UNI team we beat by 3 TDs).

So you saying that about Ohio last year isn't all that similar to people saying it about Ark State/ND this year.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
In addition to the factors you mentioned, Ohio (10 win season) >>> Arkansas State (barely eaked into a bowl in the bad Sun Belt) >>>>>>> North Dakota (got shutout 27-0 to a UNI team we beat by 3 TDs).

So you saying that about Ohio last year isn't all that similar to people saying it about Ark State/ND this year.
I honestly do not care that Ohio won 10 games or we had good poisoning. That was an embarassing performance and should never happen.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I honestly do not care that Ohio won 10 games or we had good poisoning. That was an embarassing performance and should never happen.

I agree that it was embarrassing and we should have won the game, just pointing out that comparing that team to Ark State/North Dakota is like comparing apples to oranges.

Reactions: BigCyFan and CyGuy5

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I laugh at all these writers who publish "post-Spring" power rankings. Spring practice reveals almost nothing to anyone other than the coaches. So really, the sportswriters have nothing to support their opinions. I guess we are so desperate for sports in May, we will read anything. Especially if it's football. So Utah, K State and Arizona are the top Big 12 teams. Maybe, but Spring practices or even Spring games did nothing to establish that.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
That right there makes for a tough bet...which is the point right? Hoping for and cheering for the over...but 7 seems plausible when it comes to putting money on it.
They won 7 games with a schedule that included OuT though. You are essentially replacing them with TTU and Houston. Granted you have Utah now instead, but like last year i think these new additions will struggle to a point. I think 8-9 wins is very possible

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
That right there makes for a tough bet...which is the point right? Hoping for and cheering for the over...but 7 seems plausible when it comes to putting money on it.
I hope Campbell has learned and grown over his career about how to prepare a team with lots of talent. You go back to and underperforming team with Purdy that should have been dominant. You look at early season games that are dropped or way too close for comfort. With so much returning this year, there's no reason not to take the over.

Being said, I am absolutely not touching that with my own money and was able to get a $50 deposit match free bet from ESPN to drop on the over.

Reactions: cyfanatic

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Game times for first 3 games should be out by May 30th.

North Dakota will probably be ESPN+

Could we potentially see Iowa/Iowa St on CBS?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I hope Campbell has learned and grown over his career about how to prepare a team with lots of talent. You go back to and underperforming team with Purdy that should have been dominant.
You look at that team, and it’s a pretty common phenomenon among senior-laden teams that peaked as juniors. They don’t have the same edge the next year.

And I think that we can all agree that for ISU, leading the conference in regular season and trouncing a team like Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl counts as a “peak year”.

Not only is the ‘24 team not going to be overwhelmingly senior dominated, I’m also pretty sure that we all agree that ‘23 was not a “peak year”. And the Bowl game, ugh!

This team is gonna be hungry.

And talented.