2024 Mens CBB Coaching Carousel

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Let’s put it this way…KState raised a **** ton of money in a week for Tang to use if he stays.

Blum confirmed in another thread a day or so ago that “half a million dollars” for a guy like Hadley is very, very real these days.

Calipari to Arkansas isn’t an isolated move. There will be ripple effects. Some of them are already in motion.

EDIT: I am not a patreon member, BTW. I just want to be clear about that. I am only going off of information that is readily available.
Yes. We've been saying for 2 years how much kids are getting and everybody kept doubting us. I will continue to say it's unbelievable and a matter of fact. Kids, donors, etc are not shy about bragging about the amounts and backing it up with emails, texts, etc.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Sad valley used to be among the best mid majors.

And it still is; see post #404 above from @1UNI2ISU.

It also finished 10th in conference KenPom rankings this last season, ahead of the 2-bid WCC. Indiana State would have been in the NCAA tournament were it not for the chaos unleashed during Conference Championship Week, which would have given the MVC two bids.

Honestly (and I'm not counting you in this, btw) I think some Cyclone fans WANT the MVC to be a "low major" because God Forbid any other team within the state have a good season and/or make the NCAA tournament every once in a while besides ISU. Goes back to my personal feeling about the insecurity that some ISU fans have ("Only WE get to have the new toys! Only WE get to be good and talked about by the media!). I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I stand by it.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

It also finished 10th in conference KenPom rankings this last season, ahead of the 2-bid WCC. Indiana State would have been in the NCAA tournament were it not for the chaos unleashed during Conference Championship Week, which would have given the MVC two bids.

Honestly (and I'm not counting you in this, btw) I think some Cyclone fans WANT the MVC to be a "low major" because God Forbid any other team within the state have a good season and/or make the NCAA tournament every once in a while besides ISU. Goes back to my personal feeling about the insecurity that some ISU fans have ("Only WE get to have the new toys! Only WE get to be good and talked about by the media!). I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I stand by it.
It's much like the reaction to the Heise commitment from some.

We don't want the guy who was all league in the Valley because he's 'just a UNI guy' but we're all good with the guys from The Summit League, the AAC, the MAC and the ASun. It makes no sense and shows a lack of basketball knowledge.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

I'm in no way wanting valley to be a low mid major.

I want every university outside of EIU to do well and wish we would grow a pair and play drake or uni in the non con.

My comment really even goes back to when Valley had Wichita State and Creighton and was assured 2 or even some years 3 bids I'm ncaa tournament.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'm in no way wanting valley to be a low mid major.

I want every university outside of EIU to do well and wish we would grow a pair and play drake or uni in the non con.

My comment really even goes back to when Valley had Wichita State and Creighton and was assured 2 or even some years 3 bids I'm ncaa tournament.

Oh, I understand and I appreciate you, which is why I made sure to let you know that I wasn't including you in the group that does want UNI to be in that category.

Objectively I don't think the MVC of today is equal to the glory days of 2006 when they sent 4 teams to the tournament, but I also think the rumors of its overall demise are greatly exaggerated.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Oh, I understand and I appreciate you, which is why I made sure to let you know that I wasn't including you in the group that does want UNI to be in that category.

Objectively I don't think the MVC of today is equal to the glory days of 2006 when they sent 4 teams to the tournament, but I also think the rumors of its overall demise are greatly exaggerated.

The overall quality of the MVC has gone down a lot over the years. True or False?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The overall quality of the MVC has gone down a lot over the years. True or False?
It's gone from the top of the multi-bid tier of Mids to the middle. Used to finish 7/8th in the RPI and now finishes 9/10th. It just doesn't have that consistent top tier program that is outspending the rest of the league 3x like Creighton and Wichita were.

The Valley got Loyola's best years and I don't think that will ever be a huge loss especially once Murray and Belmont get fully adjusted to life in a better league.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
False.

In the 11 seasons since Creighton left the MVC, and in the 7 seasons since Wichita State left the MVC has only had two seasons when their overall conference ranking (based on KenPom) was less than 12th out of 32/33 Division I conferences (ranked 15th in 2019 and 16th in 2023), Otherwise they've consistently ranked between 10th and 12th in conference rankings, and were even 9th in 2018, the first season without Wichita State.

Not quite the heyday of the late 2000's, admittedly, but I've already acknowledge that previously.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Indiana State will promote Matthew Graves to Head Coach. Had been on Schertz's staff and is from the Butler tree.

Failed miserably in his first stint as a Head Coach at South Alabama from 2013-18 (65-96)

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Indiana State will promote Matthew Graves to Head Coach. Had been on Schertz's staff and is from the Butler tree.

Failed miserably in his first stint as a Head Coach at South Alabama from 2013-18 (65-96)
So was Lickliter....:mccaffery:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

MvC has been garbage since UC and WSU walked away.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Do Drake and UNI fans cheer for Iowa or ISU?

My experience, most that I know cheer for Iowa.

So I don't really care how the Valley does.
I think its human nature to root for the underdog, or the weaker option. Clear to see who that is, especially when it comes to basketball

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Let’s put it this way…KState raised a **** ton of money in a week for Tang to use if he stays.

Blum confirmed in another thread a day or so ago that “half a million dollars” for a guy like Hadley is very, very real these days.

Calipari to Arkansas isn’t an isolated move. There will be ripple effects. Some of them are already in motion.

EDIT: I am not a patreon member, BTW. I just want to be clear about that. I am only going off of information that is readily available.
And just think. This all started with SMU coach getting fired.