***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Penix has won everywhere he went. Penix won at Indiana. Penix had no problems at Washington. His arm strength is elite and he stretches all areas of the field. With those weapons and that arm strength they shouldn’t be able to stack the box against Aaron Jones. Penix has emerged as a leader at both Indiana and Washington. And his knowledge of the game and obsession to get better are well known. And the guy has athleticism and speed to escape.
Not to mention the fact that he has 1000 or better snaps in his college career. I think this is something that made Brock Purdy such a great QB early in the pros too. Reps matter.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Not to mention the fact that he has 1000 or better snaps in his college career. I think this is something that made Brock Purdy such a great QB early in the pros too. Reps matter.
And he won a lot of games with arguably not high end talent around him. Washington has some talent, but they weren't like the Alabama's, LSU's FSU's Texas, Michigan, OSU etc.... I don't trust QB's that put up big numbers while surrounded by elite talent. There are always exceptions (Burrow, Stroud), but it seems those guys are busts, or end up being mediocre more often than not.

Compared to guys like Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Purdy, who had to learn to win with equal, or lesser talent around them than their opponents.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
And he won a lot of games with arguably not high end talent around him. Washington has some talent, but they weren't like the Alabama's, LSU's FSU's Texas, Michigan, OSU etc.... I don't trust QB's that put up big numbers while surrounded by elite talent. There are always exceptions (Burrow, Stroud), but it seems those guys are busts, or end up being mediocre more often than not.

Compared to guys like Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Purdy, who had to learn to win with equal, or lesser talent around them than their opponents.
Only scary part about Penix is how good Odunze is. ie Johnny Manziel at A&M with Mike Evans. Mike Evans made Johnny look really good on a lot of occasions which made teams overvalue the QB vs how good Mike Evans really was.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Is it just me... that thinks Caleb Williams really is not as good as advertised? I won't be surprised if he is a bust. I know I could be wrong, but I'm not feeling the love for Williams as a game changer.
Caleb reminds me of Baker Mayfield

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Only scary part about Penix is how good Odunze is. ie Johnny Manziel at A&M with Mike Evans. Mike Evans made Johnny look really good on a lot of occasions which made teams overvalue the QB vs how good Mike Evans really was.
Penix was also very effective at Indiana, where the talent around him was subpar

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Yeah I still feel good about Penix. He was a stud at Indiana too.

Compare to someone like Bryce Young. I think you put Bryce Young at Indiana, Minnesota or like a Texas Tech and he's seen in a completely different light.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Agree. The Huskies also had Polk on the other side who will be drafted in the early rounds.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Jayden Daniels had better receivers. You must be petrified about him. And JJ McCarthy must make you scared as hell.

Reactions: Cyhig

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
The Kwesi era has been poor to say the least. He needs to kill it this year.... to justify keeping him around for 1 more year. I think he's in over his head.
I've felt that way since his first draft. Trading down 20 spots in the first round, with a division rival, and NOT getting the next year's first round pick as return was a disaster. Especially when the Lions GM in his presser after said they were fully prepared to give up the next year's first rounder and were shocked when the Vikings said they didn't want it. Adding insult to injury, by doing so, they passed on Kyle Hamilton and end up with Lewis Cine. Ugh, still makes me mad!

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
To be fair, aren't most QBs taken in the top 10 'busts'? Most don't live up to their draft pick.

Mel Kiper said on his draft show last night that if someone tells you they have some secret formula to predict which QBs will be successful in the NFL, tell them they're lying. There's no such thing. QB is the hardest position to forecast for future success in the NFL.

Reactions: Jer

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Johnny Manziel was a great college QB that was an entitled nutball, that was never going to succeed in the NFL because of his brain. Even if he wasn't a complete headcase his game was questionable at best in translating to the NFL.

Other than a few random exceptions like Josh Allen, Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles, and Daniel Jones, most of the highly drafted QBs over the years are typically going to have a massive talent advantage most weeks with the other 10 starters.

That's the entire reason why evaluating QBs is so damn hard. The talent gap an offense at a place like Michigan, OSU, Alabama, LSU, and USC have on a weekly basis dwarfs the difference between the best and worst NFL teams.

Fall Creek

Oct 28, 2023
Penix offers a lot of value at a later pick versus trading the farm to trade up for McCarthy. I would rather see us take a mauler on the o-line or d-line with our early pick and then take Penix later in the 1st round. My theory is that great teams with talent across all positions are easier to build than finding the next Rodgers/Mahomes. If I was the GM, I would consider trading up for MH Jr. to give us a chance at an all-NFL history WR corps. What QB couldn't succeed with JJ, JA, TJ, and MH Jr?

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Who gives a rip about draft picks if the QB works out... If you have to trade 11, 23, and 2025 1st to go get Maye or McCarthy... Just do it and commit.

The whole purpose of the stupid "competitive rebuild" was to get to this point... You draft JJ or Maye and you build for 2025-2035. Kirk's dead cap falls off after this season, so the 2025 off-season could be insane. Put the franchise it a position where we can go sign two or three difference makers on defense and an interior lineman to anchor a 5-7 year super bowl run!!

We will have the best WR in football, Addison on a rookie deal, a top 5 TE, two bookend tackles, and a rookie QB contract.. That is nearly the holy grail for team building. Time is now to stop playing footsie with 7-10 win seasons and committ all-in to a high level QB talent.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Who gives a rip about draft picks if the QB works out... If you have to trade 11, 23, and 2025 1st to go get Maye or McCarthy... Just do it and commit.

The whole purpose of the stupid "competitive rebuild" was to get to this point... You draft JJ or Maye and you build for 2025-2035. Kirk's dead cap falls off after this season, so the 2025 off-season could be insane. Put the franchise it a position where we can go sign two or three difference makers on defense and an interior lineman to anchor a 5-7 year super bowl run!!

We will have the best WR in football, Addison on a rookie deal, a top 5 TE, two bookend tackles, and a rookie QB contract.. That is nearly the holy grail for team building. Time is now to stop playing footsie with 7-10 win seasons and committ all-in to a high level QB talent.

And when Maye or JJ are a bust we don’t have the the Pro Bowl DT and Edge we gave up. Mortgaged the whole future for an illusion. The teams that actually win the QB war are those who had a QB drop in value making them a bargain to acquire.

Brady and Purdy were late round picks. Look at all the first round busts.

• Winner
Reactions: Acylum and Cy4Lifer

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Jayden Daniels had better receivers. You must be petrified about him. And JJ McCarthy must make you scared as hell.
I think Odunze is better than any best receiver out of LSU or Michigan this year.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Johnny Manziel was a great college QB that was an entitled nutball, that was never going to succeed in the NFL because of his brain. Even if he wasn't a complete headcase his game was questionable at best in translating to the NFL.

Other than a few random exceptions like Josh Allen, Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles, and Daniel Jones, most of the highly drafted QBs over the years are typically going to have a massive talent advantage most weeks with the other 10 starters.

That's the entire reason why evaluating QBs is so damn hard. The talent gap an offense at a place like Michigan, OSU, Alabama, LSU, and USC have on a weekly basis dwarfs the difference between the best and worst NFL teams.
go back and watch his college highlights. They are littered with Mike Evans catching 50/50 balls.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

I've heard the price to get to 4 or 5 isn't going to be as costly as people are saying. If they could get by with a 2025 3rd rounder instead of the 1st that would be ideal.

According to Ben Goessling, they've been planning for this QB class for 2 years. It's the reason they didn't extend Cousins last year. You don't plan something for 2 years without trying to shoot your shot.

They're going to do whatever they can to get their QB. Now whether the draft board falls the way they want or they get poached by another team, who knows?

I think McCarthy is the guy KOC wants. I think the Maye talk is people making assumptions based on McCown getting hired.

Problem is, unless they get up to 3 we'll never know who "their guy" really is because whoever they end up with (if two of Daniels/Maye/McCarthy are gone), they're going to say it's the guy they wanted all alomg.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
And when Maye or JJ are a bust we don’t have the the Pro Bowl DT and Edge we gave up. Mortgaged the whole future for an illusion. The teams that actually win the QB war are those who had a QB drop in value making them a bargain to acquire.

Brady and Purdy were late round picks. Look at all the first round busts.
Honestly, so much of a QBs success depends on his surroundings. Top 10 QBs bust a lot of times because of poor coaching, poor surrounding talent, or a combination of both. There is a reason a lot of those teams are picking in the top 10. I love what the Vikings have with our receiving options, KOC, Aaron Jones for a year, solid tackles. The Vikings have a situation ripe for a rookie QB to succeed. I'd rather take the chance and trade up for a QB just to see what happens. Vikings have never drafted a QB in the top 5 (maybe 10?) before, why not try now with the situation our offense is in.

• Agree
Reactions: Jer and clonehenge

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron