***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
To be fair, DT and Edge have just as much 1st round bust potential...as does every position. No guarantee to get any Pro Bowl players in the 1st round.

A little sampling of Vikes' 1st round picks...lots of ickiness in this, and doesn't show guys like Shariff Floyd or Erasmus James

View attachment 128132
Man, Shariff Floyd showed so much promise before his nerve issue. One of the big "what ifs" for me

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Regarding the Atlanta tampering punishment (supposed to be decided this week), from Kevin Seifert's ESPN article the other day...sounds like a pick swap isn't necessarily a possibility but Atlanta could be stripped of a pick. Losing their 1st rounder would move the Vikes up a pick--

Sources believe the discipline, which is likely to involve draft picks, is expected to be more severe for the Falcons. Here are two examples of tampering discipline from the NFL:

• The Dolphins forfeited their 2023 first-round pick and a 2024 third-round selection for tampering with Tom Brady and Sean Payton on three occasions from 2019 to 2022. Team owner Stephen Ross and vice chairman/limited partner Bruce Beal were fined; Ross was fined $1.5 million, while Beal was fined $500,000.
  • The Chiefs forfeited their 2016 third-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round selection for tampering with Jeremy Maclin in 2015. The Chiefs were also fined $250,000. Coach Andy Reid was fined $75,000, and general manager John Dorsey was fined $25,000.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Regarding the Atlanta tampering punishment (supposed to be decided this week), from Kevin Seifert's ESPN article the other day...sounds like a pick swap isn't necessarily a possibility but Atlanta could be stripped of a pick. Losing their 1st rounder would move the Vikes up a pick--

Sources believe the discipline, which is likely to involve draft picks, is expected to be more severe for the Falcons. Here are two examples of tampering discipline from the NFL:

• The Dolphins forfeited their 2023 first-round pick and a 2024 third-round selection for tampering with Tom Brady and Sean Payton on three occasions from 2019 to 2022. Team owner Stephen Ross and vice chairman/limited partner Bruce Beal were fined; Ross was fined $1.5 million, while Beal was fined $500,000.
  • The Chiefs forfeited their 2016 third-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round selection for tampering with Jeremy Maclin in 2015. The Chiefs were also fined $250,000. Coach Andy Reid was fined $75,000, and general manager John Dorsey was fined $25,000.
NFL stated that they won't be done with their investigation until after this week.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Wow, forgot he was that high.
That was a weird draft. Every first round QB was a bust besides Cam Newton, but you had guys like Andy Dalton and Collin Kaepernick in the second round.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
To be fair, DT and Edge have just as much 1st round bust potential...as does every position. No guarantee to get any Pro Bowl players in the 1st round.

A little sampling of Vikes' 1st round picks...lots of ickiness in this, and doesn't show guys like Shariff Floyd or Erasmus James

View attachment 128132
I hung out with Erasmus James a few times. Really great person. I always felt bad for him because he had a ton of potential and kept getting injuries.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
True. But he doesn't absorb hits very well. Watch Purdy. He will turn his body around to protect himself when he knows a big hit is coming. Penix can stand in the pocket well, but he exposes himself a lot.

I will also say that I value a football IQ far more than physical attributes for a QB. Give me a QB who can read a defense, throw the ball on time and on target more than a QB with raw athletic skills who is a one read QB.
Which one is that then?

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
So from what I've heard (tv/radio) and read, it's sounding like it's going to be hard for the Vikings to trade up...

3 - Pats want too much
4 - Cards want one of the top 3 WRs and if they trade back to 11 they'll miss out (unless they can trade back up, which they did last year)
5 - Chargers. Probably most feasible but PA keeps saying he thinks Harbaugh holds a grudge against the Vikes for not hiring him
6 - NYG. They want one of the top 3 WRs (or QB) so doubtful they trade to 11. And they may trade up
7 - Titans. Possibility because they may still be able to get Alt at 11. But will it be too late if NYG goes QB?

There always seems to be a top rated QB that slides so who will that be and is it the one the Vikings want?

Going to be fun to watch the top 6 picks unfold. Kiper keeps saying it's the most intriguing draft he's covered because of the uncertainty in the top 10.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum