2024 solar eclipse

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Well, I suppose … one guy they were talking to this morning on TV said about half the people experiencing totality will start to cry, so that seems a bit more impressive than a glowing black dot - but then again I’ve never experienced it so …
Just giving you ****. It would be pretty cool to see.

Reactions: KidSilverhair

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Will DSM notice it being any darker? I might see a hint of it right now but nothing earth shattering. It's pretty amazing to see the sun look like a crescent.
No, those in totality will stay in almost full light until just minutes before totality. The sun is really so bright that to start to see noticeable darkness it has to be almost totally covered. It doesnt even get totally dark like at night in totality. It is a really strange darkness, its dark but also light at the same time, similar to twilight, but also different.

If there is any dimming here it will be very minimal.

Daughter and I went to it in 2017. Would have liked to this year too. It really is amazing to see. But she is in college now, and the traffic looked insane.

If you ever get a chance to go to a total eclipse its worth seeing it.

Edit: It does appear we have a slight bit of dimming, in the DM area but not a lot, but not really darkness at all.

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I wonder what a tornado eclipse is like, saw a tornado pop up in Mississippi as the eclipse approached

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Def dimmer...neat to see. Just passed the most coverage in Des Moines. Back to work I suppose.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
do NOT look at it without those special glasses. Wish I would've known that.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Definitely more interesting in Des Moines than last time. I might regret not making an effort to see the entire thing.

More interesting, to me, was being in Iceland over the summer solstice last year and not having it get dark at all.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

Pragmatic_Clone

Jul 25, 2021
USA
Was overcast here in San Antonio, but completely dark for a minute and a half or so. Cool and spooky at the same time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron