2024 solar eclipse

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I verified that our elementary is taking the kids outside. Makes me feel better that I cancelled our trip to go see it.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Some ISU Aerospace students are launching a balloon from Carbondale and livestreaming the eclipse from a camera onboard

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I left Saturday and the 60 mph winds on the interstate ripped the tonneau cover off the back of my truck. I was stuck on the interstate trying to deal with that in all those crazy winds. Ended up stuffing whatever I could into the cab and eventually getting off the interstate. I was just south of Pacific Junction and it's a long stretch without an exit. I finally got off and took back roads home. I was going to try to go Sunday but due to still recovering from radiation I get tired easily and decided dong a 10 hour drive was probably not the best idea so I just stayed home.

• Sad
Reactions: 1100011CS

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
waited too long. can't find glasses anywhere. assuming sunglasses aren't good enough?
Nope.

Proper eclipse glasses should carry a label indicating that it meets the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard by blocking more than 99.99% of the sun’s light.

If you can't find proper glasses, you can make yourself a pinhole camera.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Where did you find this info? I've been looking all over the interwebs and I keep getting vague and conflicting numbers on time and coverage.
There is also this page from the NY Times that shows the entire timeline and cloud coverage for your (or any selected) area.

Reactions: 1100011CS

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
People say hy-vee in Ames has them, maybe other hy-vees do as well? Sunglasses aren't enough.
The west Hy-Vee in Ames does have them, or at least did this morning. There were a couple of bins/shelves with them in the self-checkout area.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you're referring to what he said yesterday on 2GNC I didn't take that as him thinking it's a conspiracy, moreso he thinks it's hugely overrated (unless I missed specific conspiracy talk). I've seen some places say this is once in a lifetime/won't happen again for x00 years, then see other places that say the next one will be in 2044 - which is it?

As an outsider who admits to not fully understanding how big this event is supposed to be, I tend to agree. It's crazy to me that people will fly or drive in ridiculous traffic somewhere on a Monday just to see it get dark for an hour. Especially when you consider there could be complete cloud cover (or worse) wherever you end up during the event.

Everything you guys have mentioned about bumper to bumper traffic taking hours to go a few miles, small towns full of thousands of people, restaurants booked solid/gas stations running out of gas sound like things straight out of my nightmares.
Here is a map of all of the eclipses in the Contiguous US through 2050. Note that only the blue ones are total. Yes there is one in 2044, but it will barely clip the US and just on the horizon. There is one more in 2045. By then I will be pushing 80, so this may indeed be the last of my lifetime.

eclipses-map-US-2000-2050-e1455576855780.gif

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As kind of an aside, I have a client that has chased these all over the World. Antartica, Papau New Guinea, all kinds of places. Super interesting guy.