jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
We didn't have any trouble. Pulled into Vet Med about 8:00 and found a spot right away, entered the stadium at about 10:00, no one in line. Left the stadium from section 15 at the end with no trouble, got to our vehicle and got out of lot in about 10 minutes.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Observations from someone who hasn't been to Trice in a few years.

Why have concessions that only specialize in one thing like Walking Tacos? Are we incapable of selling hotdogs from that location as well? Come on there isn't that much on the menu that they can get that **** to all the locations. That would help the concessions a ton.

Also, why no vendors walking the aisles? Sell hotdogs and Pepsi's for goodness sake, there are a ton of people that aren't' leaving their seats, but they would like something to drink.

Bathrooms on the East were able to keep up with traffic at least when we used them.

At some point, all the Cyclone Club kids that take seats that aren't their's is going to be a problem.

Is there a law in Ames that doesn't allow people to sell their driveway and yard as parking? Because that seems like it would solve a **** load of traffic and parking problem right now? I envision a set up like Green Bay. It works great there.

I have never understood ISU's reluctance to force people to exit the parking in the direction that makes the most sense and get people away from the stadium. There are plenty of ways to get where you want to go once away from the stadium. Also shutting down general traffic in and around the stadium at the end of games. Yes, it sucks for those people not at the game, but it wouldn't take long for people just to completely avoid the area, which would be a win overall.

I can only imagine the clusterfuck that will be the Iowa game in two weeks, good luck to everyone that goes and godspeed!

All that said, we had a great time, my 7yo was really happy to be there and will talk about it for weeks. Obviously we all would have liked a different game, but hey they won and it was exciting at the end.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We park and tailgate against the JTS fence in S1, we got to the stadium around 10 till 7. There was still plenty of parking in the S1 lot until 9:00 or so. The best way to enter the stadium for the handicapped lot is from the West. As you drive off the street, there will be a person sitting there, guarding the entrance, just tell him "handicapped" and they will shoot you down the hill to the lot..

When we got to the lot yesterday, they took our money and did not have stickers yet, they walked around putting them on cars, from that point on.

Couple of things, S2 the skybox lot never fills up and was half full yesterday, if you have a handicapped sticker, they can not park you on the grass. They will park you in one of the S lots, but you may get bumped from S1 down to the east.

The Iowa game in two weeks will be a zoo, it always is, we plan to get there around six if possible.
Remember that with a 3 p.m. kickoff, lots will open 7 a.m. that day.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Why have concessions that only specialize in one thing like Walking Tacos? Are we incapable of selling hotdogs from that location as well? Come on there isn't that much on the menu that they can get that **** to all the locations. That would help the concessions a ton.

Also, why no vendors walking the aisles? Sell hotdogs and Pepsi's for goodness sake, there are a ton of people that aren't' leaving their seats, but they would like something to drink.

Bathrooms on the East were able to keep up with traffic at least when we used them.

At some point, all the Cyclone Club kids that take seats that aren't their's is going to be a problem.

Is there a law in Ames that doesn't allow people to sell their driveway and yard as parking? Because that seems like it would solve a **** load of traffic and parking problem right now? I envision a set up like Green Bay. It works great there.

I have never understood ISU's reluctance to force people to exit the parking in the direction that makes the most sense and get people away from the stadium. There are plenty of ways to get where you want to go once away from the stadium. Also shutting down general traffic in and around the stadium at the end of games. Yes, it sucks for those people not at the game, but it wouldn't take long for people just to completely avoid the area, which would be a win overall.

I can only imagine the clusterfuck that will be the Iowa game in two weeks, good luck to everyone that goes and godspeed!

All that said, we had a great time, my 7yo was really happy to be there and will talk about it for weeks. Obviously we all would have liked a different game, but hey they won and it was exciting at the end.
so you want it to look white trash around the stadium like iowa ******?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I'm going to guess that whether the city allowed it or not, most of the folks in that area are going to avoid aiming for the "east side of Des Moines during the State Fair" aesthetic.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

This has crossed my mind in years past too. Surely the athletic department has considered it and decided against it for some reason because I would think it juice concession sales, at least a little.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
This has crossed my mind in years past too. Surely the athletic department has considered it and decided against it for some reason because I would think it juice concession sales, at least a little.

It does come at some cost of the experience, but when you see 30-minute lines you wonder why they wouldn't have a kid carry water and pop. Guy next to us left right before the half came back just in time for the second half kick off with just an Mt Dew. Not sure that wait was worth it. I went down and got a hot dog for my kid after the second half ISU TD. I was line for at least 15 minutes, for a hot dog and a drink.

I'm going to guess that whether the city allowed it or not, most of the folks in that area are going to avoid aiming for the "east side of Des Moines during the State Fair" aesthetic.

I get it, but I don't. Not all of those houses are high class, and some of those people could use the $700/$1,000 a year if they sold their driveway out. Part of it is there really hasn't been a significant problem until recent years. For years the stadium held 45k and most years there weren't 45k people going so parking wasn't an issue. I think that probably applies to the exiting of the parking situation too.

There were a couple of guys on Lincoln Way that were selling at a house for $35, they had at least 10 cars on the property. That is good money if they can do that 7 times this year.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We were latecomers to B4, and was surprised that the ushers led us to a spot and made people move their stuff. Sorry to everyone about that . . .

But leaving was unfortunate. There were attendants up on Center, but they weren't doing anything. Literally nothing. Not directing the traffic, not having people go into their respective lanes, not even watching the cars.

SDCyclonesFamily

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 21, 2016
I haven't been to a game in years and we are driving down for the LA-Monroe game on the 21st. Bringing our kids to experience their first ISU football game (8 and 11 years old). What is everyone's recommendations for where to park? We are planning to arrive early enough to experience friends' tailgates (not 100% sure what lots they are in yet) and hopefully the spirit walk.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
when leaving the donor lots, people should form two lanes heading to the nearest exit north or South. Inch your way in between people, eventually you create your own hole. Alternate and be nice. Usually this helps everyone.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I haven't been to a game in years and we are driving down for the LA-Monroe game on the 21st. Bringing our kids to experience their first ISU football game (8 and 11 years old). What is everyone's recommendations for where to park? We are planning to arrive early enough to experience friends' tailgates (not 100% sure what lots they are in yet) and hopefully the spirit walk.

If you and your kids are able to walk a ways, the MU parking ramp is a good option. I was parked there for nearly 20 hrs friday night to saturday after the game and it only cost $12.50. $13 is max for a 24vhr period. Quick to get to lincoln way after the game, also, the backroads to 13th st. are usually reasonable. then you are only limited by the speed of traffic. Otherwise any of the public lots will work.
Much quicker to get to a main road from the parking ramp than the lots, but it's a bit of a walk, not a bad walk if you are not in terrible shape. It's about a mile walk and a bit uphill to the stadium.

• Informative
Reactions: beentherebefore

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Haunted Forest worked out great for us and they were still letting cars in pretty late in the morning.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
It's like they had the treble cranked. Just sounded awful. I am ok with loud but you have to have the mix correct

They never have it balanced or at least it’s always been bad for the first game of the year. It’s also hard to do when there’s no sound coming out of the SEZ. The sound for the intro video was just brutal but I think they at least attempted to fix it after that because it wasn’t terrible for the rest of the game.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Did anybody get a parking ticket parking illegally West of Beach Ave? I was wondering how strictly they were going to enforce that. I saw so many cars parked in a 4 hour time limit section and wanted to park there at 8am, but didn’t want to risk a $40 ticket. Instead I parked at the MU for like $12 and made the 1 mile walk.

My parents live on Lynn Ave and they said it was packed just like any other football game. My father said he never looked to see if they got tickets or not.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND

This. Coming down for the LA-Monroe game as well with my 6 year old and will likely be staying somewhere in Southern MN Friday night. So hoping for a non 11am kick to get some decent time in the tailgating lots with friends.

Will likely be looking for a parking pass to be near people or recommendations to park and walk for a 6 year old that will decide his legs are too tired to walk any further.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Getting out of G7 onto S. 4th took some time, but after that I cut north to Lincoln Way near HyVee, then went east on Lincoln Way to Dayton, then north to 13th and caught I-35 from there. As a reference point, another car from our tailgate left at the same time as us, stayed on S. 4th and went down Duff to US 30 then I-35 and arrived home almost a half-hour after we did.

So I think that will be my new route.
I went that way, too, but I was surprised that I could not get on 30 east at Dayton. Seems a long way from the stadium to close a ramp.