6 hour rule - tailgaiting

Ocho

Sep 4, 2008
Are they firm on lot entry 6 hours before game time? I have heard rumors that once the line up is so long they will let the cars into the lots. We have a couple parking passes for B4 and wanted to drop some cars for the Iowa game at 4:00am. Will they let me in, or should I just wait?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If the line of traffic starts blocking other intersections, they may start moving people in before the 6-hour mark. 95% of the time, it's a problem just for the grass lots south of the stadium. If you have a B4 pass, you can roll in at 5:00 okay.

For the last three ISU-Iowa games, I rolled up to the NCC lots right at 6 hours before and was about the only car there.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
If the line of traffic starts blocking other intersections, they may start moving people in before the 6-hour mark. 95% of the time, it's a problem just for the grass lots south of the stadium. If you have a B4 pass, you can roll in at 5:00 okay.

For the last three ISU-Iowa games, I rolled up to the NCC lots right at 6 hours before and was about the only car there.

Yeah, what theshadow said. The backups really only happen for the public (mostly student) lots.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've always parked in the paved lots and we almost always get there 6 hours prior. I can tell you that the Thursday games are always dead 6 hours prior. Usually there are 4-5 cars in each section of the parking lot the first couple of hours.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The Iowa game is a little different. Last year we pulled in around 10-11pm and Vet Med and the grass lot to vet med was already "the line" and the grass lot across the street was already forming a 3rd line in that lot that wound up to have about 7 or 8 lines by 4am. They started filling the south grass lots about an hour early that morning I believe so the "holding lots" would be cleared out in time for the rest of the people coming to park in those.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
The Iowa game is a little different. Last year we pulled in around 10-11pm and Vet Med and the grass lot to vet med was already "the line" and the grass lot across the street was already forming a 3rd line in that lot that wound up to have about 7 or 8 lines by 4am. They started filling the south grass lots about an hour early that morning I believe so the "holding lots" would be cleared out in time for the rest of the people coming to park in those.

2 years ago you mean? They definitely let people in early that year, but we showed up right at ~5:30am and still got a pretty nice spot in the grass lot on the corner of university and S16th. Had to drive around to Duff to get in line at that point though...

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Are they firm on lot entry 6 hours before game time? I have heard rumors that once the line up is so long they will let the cars into the lots. We have a couple parking passes for B4 and wanted to drop some cars for the Iowa game at 4:00am. Will they let me in, or should I just wait?

its firm. its been years since they opened it early.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

They have people fill the grass lots... and then move them to different lots? Why not just open the lots early and park em then.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Here is a separate but related question: for those of us that can't get out of work early, and need to park and walk (as we usually do), where do people suggest to beat traffic? We usually park at Towers, and don't seem to get bothered there, but I don't know what things will be like on a Thursday night game. Any suggestions, or anyone more connected to campus know what the situation would be like? Anyone else parking at Towers?

Thanks in advance for answers!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
They have people fill the grass lots... and then move them to different lots? Why not just open the lots early and park em then.

OK, let me explain, the line started from the south grass lot entrance, went clear back up into the Vet Med lot then the grass lot right next to vet med then across the street in that grass lot. That was just "the line" for 1 lot for the Iowa game. In order to clear parking for those lots the line had to be let into the grass lots right south of JT so they could properly park anyone that came after that. It was litterally just line after line stacked up in those lots.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
OK, let me explain, the line started from the south grass lot entrance, went clear back up into the Vet Med lot then the grass lot right next to vet med then across the street in that grass lot. That was just "the line" for 1 lot for the Iowa game. In order to clear parking for those lots the line had to be let into the grass lots right south of JT so they could properly park anyone that came after that. It was litterally just line after line stacked up in those lots.

I assume this was fairly organized as well? As in people pointing at where to get in line?

We plan on getting our RV in to line around 7 or 8 PM the night before Iowa this year to park in the student lot. Want to make sure we get somewhere where we won't get screwed and "miss" the line. :wink:

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
Here is a separate but related question: for those of us that can't get out of work early, and need to park and walk (as we usually do), where do people suggest to beat traffic? We usually park at Towers, and don't seem to get bothered there, but I don't know what things will be like on a Thursday night game. Any suggestions, or anyone more connected to campus know what the situation would be like? Anyone else parking at Towers?

Parking on the street north of Lincoln Way and a little east of MWL is easy to get out. I think the street is called riverside or something but it is not far and never a hassle to get out.

Reactions: Haverhill

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
Jarrods79 something to be aware of. Ames High School is hosting a Cross Country meet at the ISU course Thursday at 5:00. Some of the spectators for that might take up some of the parking in the Towers lot.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Jarrods79 something to be aware of. Ames High School is hosting a Cross Country meet at the ISU course Thursday at 5:00. Some of the spectators for that might take up some of the parking in the Towers lot.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Might mean if you can find a spot it would be pretty safe to park there.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I assume this was fairly organized as well? As in people pointing at where to get in line?

We plan on getting our RV in to line around 7 or 8 PM the night before Iowa this year to park in the student lot. Want to make sure we get somewhere where we won't get screwed and "miss" the line. :wink:

Yeah it was pretty organized, they even had these printed out sheets with the "rules" for the evening such as must have at least 1 sober driver at all times, no open fires, can't leave your vehicle unattended, etc.

Reactions: d4nim4l

Wallacelantz

Dec 30, 2008

Usually if I park and walk I do it from the Gateway Hotel and it has never been a problem and is easy getting out.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Does anyone know what the policy for leaving a car over night is? I was hoping on leaving my car parked out there tomorrow night and just pick it up Friday morning. Is this okay?

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Does anyone know what the policy for leaving a car over night is? I was hoping on leaving my car parked out there tomorrow night and just pick it up Friday morning. Is this okay?
I do it for every game(grass lot) never had a problem....Do not park your car early for the Iowa game and leave it unattended before getting into the lot.

Reactions: Benny34