A-11 Offense for ISU?

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
Based on interviews I've heard from Coach Chizik, both during Big XII Media Days and other, I don't think we'll be seeing too much "gimmicky crap" (his words) while he is the head man at ISU.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It's hard to say if it could really be the future of the game before other teams have tried somewhat similar approaches before, although not entirely the same thing. I would say it's probably a high-risk offense in the fact that you are prone to a lot of interceptions from the quick nature of the passing and lesser dependence on only quality receivers.

It really reminds me of something you'd see in Arena ball.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Based on interviews I've heard from Coach Chizik, both during Big XII Media Days and other, I don't think we'll be seeing too much "gimmicky crap" (his words) while he is the head man at ISU.

Right.

I'm sure when the shotgun, run-and-shoot, etc first came about - many felt they were gimmics.

However, I don't see the A-11 lasting or breaking into a higher level. I think one of the reasons it worked is no one had seen it. Once teams can take some time to break it down, I think the A-11 would be something defenses would do just fine against.

Unless you've got a ridiculous amount of athletes on the offensive side with crazy speed.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't think we'll be seeing too much "gimmicky crap" (his words) while he is the head man at ISU.

Not even the fumble-rooskie?:skeptical: Unless I'm losing my mind, I recall Walden using it once or twice during my time at ISU.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
Was made illegal in the mid-90s.

I think Jim Thompson might have been the last player to run it during a 47-50 loss to Kansas (who finished 8-4) in 1992. We had a huge lead in that game and blew it. I think that might have been the day that the Walden era was officially over. Either that or the week before when we lost to UNI. :wideeyed:

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Not even the fumble-rooskie?:skeptical: Unless I'm losing my mind, I recall Walden using it once or twice during my time at ISU.

Maybe once or twice.

The rest of the playbook was as follows:

Triple Option Left
Triple Option Right
Up the middle
Punt

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
the main reason that that offense would never work is we would have to recruit a whole bunch of wr/ath that could block. who do we have now besides marquis hamilton?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
didn't Mizzou try putting both tackles on one side of the line during their bowl game against Arkansas? It seemed to work, mostly b/c no one had seen that formation before.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
didn't Mizzou try putting both tackles on one side of the line during their bowl game against Arkansas? It seemed to work, mostly b/c no one had seen that formation before.

Pretty sure people have seen it, it is called an unbalanced line and we even did it in high school.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
While the formations of this offense are pretty wild, you still have to follow the basic rules of football, so they have to have 7 players on the line, meaning 5 players are "covered up" and thus ineligible to be downfield on passing plays. And since someone has to throw the ball, that leaves 5 players eligible to receive a pass. So the passing attack of this offense wouldn't be much different than a team running the spread or run-n-shoot, but there are variety of other plays that could be run utilizing backward passes, pitches, laterals, etc. As someone else stated, the main advantage you would have is the unknown. That and you create a lot of one-on-one matchups. An athletic defense that can tackle would probably handle this offense without a lot of difficulty. It would remind me a lot of playing Texas Tech.

Chris

Mar 20, 2006
Houston
Visit site
Here in Texas they have 7 on 7 football in the spring, with a shortened field. A lot of those plays look the same as in those 7on7 games - just adapated for 11 on 11.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
Here is the official website:

Welcome To The Online Home Of The New A-11 Offense

Here is a video the offense in action:

American Football Monthly - The Magazine For Football Coaches

Despite initially lining up with on 1 player on the Line of Scrimmage, it appears they get past the "5-on-the-line minimum" by shifting prior to the snap, covering enough players up, so all 10 non-Center players are not eligible receivers by the time the ball is snapped.

Interesting, but it would take some serious stones to implement this at the D-1 college level.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Here is the official website:

Welcome To The Online Home Of The New A-11 Offense

Here is a video the offense in action:

American Football Monthly - The Magazine For Football Coaches

Despite initially lining up with on 1 player on the Line of Scrimmage, it appears they get past the "5-on-the-line minimum" by shifting prior to the snap, covering enough players up, so all 10 non-Center players are not eligible receivers by the time the ball is snapped.

Interesting, but it would take some serious stones to implement this at the D-1 college level.

My son's HS plays a team that runs something almost just like this. In my opinion, this sort of stuff can work well in HS where the coaches are teaching Algebra and PE during the week but will struggle in DI CFB where the coaches are living in their offices all week long breaking down schemes on game tape.

On a different note, I have always wondered why you don't see more defenses moving around and having their linemen standing to disrupt blocking schemes? This seems like it would be especially effective in today's game where nearly all the players (even the big guys) are relatively athletic.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007

Mizzou does this stuff all the time, on offense and special teams. I kinda like it. You always see the defense scrambling to figure out what's going on. If nothing else if often results in the team having to burn a time out even if Mizzou goes back to a traditional set on the next play. Just one more thing opposing teams have to prepare for in their practice week.