A-Pillars with Airbags

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
This is probably going to seem like a strange question to most- but do these damn things blind you to oncoming traffic from the passenger side causing near accidents way too often?
I’m 6-2.5 and the flares at both the top and the bottom (mostly the top) completely block out oncoming vehicles at residential intersections for me. Actually had a cop almost hit me when I had the Yield sign once. I told him what happened and he just said “That’s what I figured because I saw you look” and let me go.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yes. All pillars are blind areas.

There's a mirror setting that makes the traditional blind spot smaller to the sides and back depending on the pillar width but nothing really for A pillars that I know of.

Also why hanging stuff from the mirror is illegal/unsafe. Same for phones suction cupped to the windshield which is all sorts of irony.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
This is probably going to seem like a strange question to most- but do these damn things blind you to oncoming traffic from the passenger side causing near accidents way too often?
I’m 6-2.5 and the flares at both the top and the bottom (mostly the top) completely block out oncoming vehicles at residential intersections for me. Actually had a cop almost hit me when I had the Yield sign once. I told him what happened and he just said “That’s what I figured because I saw you look” and let me go.

I’m only 6’ (okay FINE, 5’11.5”) but absolutely agree. I heard someone say the other day that we’ve gone all out to make cars safe for the passengers at the expense of visibility and the safety of everyone on the outside. Not all vehicles are the same (domestic sedans with the short windows are impossible), but it’s definitely gotten worse.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
They are developing cameras and screens to prevent this. A 14 year old came up with the most exciting one.

https://drivetribe.com/p/14-year-ol...tKBUSi2-XrZGzw9ltw?iid=PX9GBmL0QxmPeuEqho2SjQ

View attachment 91442
More stuff to go wrong. My touchscreen isn't working very well. Hopefully the extended warranty should cover it.
This is the first time I bought an extended warranty with a vehicle simply because of all the electronics that are now all over the place.

Reactions: khardbored

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
More stuff to go wrong. My touchscreen isn't working very well. Hopefully the extended warranty should cover it.
This is the first time I bought an extended warranty with a vehicle simply because of all the electronics that are now all over the place.

I bought a basic 2018 Forester last year and was happy that the only 'new' things were a rear camera and a USB audio import.

Specific low tire light would have been nice I suppose but otherwise there's really not anything else I need the car to do for me.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Do you have a picture (or can find one) of the "flare" you're referencing? I'm not sure what it is, maybe my cars just aren't new enough.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It's one of the reasons you are supposed to come to a complete stop and wait multiple seconds when you look in both directions. I know there are situations where this can come in to play other than stops, but still the vast majority of accidents caused by the A pillar blindspot are because people don't stop and look long enough. I'm guilty of it and almost gotten in an accident because of it.

• Agree

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Do you have a picture (or can find one) of the "flare" you're referencing? I'm not sure what it is, maybe my cars just aren't new enough.
I actually took one and I’ve tried every way I can think of to upload it but keep getting the File too Large message.

• Sad

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I actually took one and I’ve tried every way I can think of to upload it but keep getting the File too Large message.

randomly found this article while searching, seems to support your assertation: https://driving.ca/features/feature...iendly-a-pillars-make-for-massive-blind-spots

And this quote was pertinent: " raising driver awareness about A-pillar blind spots needs to go hand-in-hand with developing pedestrians’ reflexes to establish eye contact with motorists. “It’s a small measure, but this is what assures us that we’ve been seen,” "

So many people now seem to not look around carefully before crossing the street.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron