Acreage tips from the Fanatics

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Mowing acres of lawn willingly every week feels like one of the least fulfilling hobbies possible.
100% agree. I had an acre for 20 years, and when sold it had zero interest in ever having to do that again.

Then after a couple years bought a place with 2 acres. Dammit. Luckily the grass is terrible so it dies in late June and I can skip until September.

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY and BACyclone

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Get a farm number at the Farm Service Agency. Start asking about beginning farmer programs. After establishing yourself as a beginning farmer for a year, sign up for CSP at NRCS across the hall. Plant trees and native grasses. Profit.
Do I have to be zoned as an agricultural property?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
If you don't know anything about horses, you probably don't want to mess with boarding other peoples'. Get some chickens and sell eggs to city folk for 5.00 doz. You could rent your pasture out for livestock or hay.

Last edited:

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
The AR thing is real. The only horses I’ll work on without cash up front are working ranch horses or my wife’s.
When they say “Doc it doesn’t matter what it costs.” They really mean “I don’t care what the bill is I have no intention of paying it anyway.”

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Get a farm number at the Farm Service Agency. Start asking about beginning farmer programs. After establishing yourself as a beginning farmer for a year, sign up for CSP at NRCS across the hall. Plant trees and native grasses. Profit.
The last I knew to get registered with FSA you need at least eight acres and farm income. You will need a crop history and you will do a conservation plan with NRCS. My home is on 7.8 acres that is separate from the rest of the farm and I was not eligible to put in a conservation program on the separate parcel. Ten acres is the minimum to qualify for ag property tax.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
serious question-

what do you do around the house?

i love being able to walk outside, with no neighbors, go tool around in the yard, or fix something around the house, or mow, or anything, really.

i cannot sit in my house and watch tv for 8 hours straight.
I was being facetious... mostly. I love living in the country and being able to walk out my front door and pee whenever I want :) I do get frustrated with the upkeep sometimes, as you can probably tell.

• Friendly
Reactions: CoachHines3

Des Moines Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 24, 2021
As someone who has a small acerage I have a few thoughts. If you are buying a tractor and want horses get a tractor big enough to move round bales. Personally I use a skid loader. Spend the money to get a cab. It’s not alot of fun to be pushing snow and turn into the wind and get a face full. I have run all colors of tractors and they all get the job done. Neighbor just bought a kubota for a fraction of the price of its green counterpart, and it’s nice.

One more note, and I will apologize in advance for this comment, be careful doing business with horse people. Way too many of them are flat broke and will wind up f****** you. $100k for a truck and $50k for a trailer dosent make you rich.
Yes, we encountered this phenomenon a few times selling hay to horse owners as a kid, lol.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
100% agree. I had an acre for 20 years, and when sold it had zero interest in ever having to do that again.

Then after a couple years bought a place with 2 acres. Dammit. Luckily the grass is terrible so it dies in late June and I can skip until September.

There is a LOT I do not miss about owning an acreage, but having "a little bit of land" plus the privacy it affords is certainly one thing. Having "a couple acres" I think would be relatively no sweat.

I would never try to own or keep large animals on my property ever again.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
It depends on your driveway. Mine is basically in a ditch so drifts over very easy.
Our place always got a big drift between the house and barn, right in front of the machinery door. We could get the cars out easy enough, but sometimes it was a struggle to get the garden tractor (54" blade) out the door.

Also need to consider being able to plow around the mailbox so mail can get delivered. And potentially plowing a path to the nearest paved road. Counties don't plow gravel until the very end. We had about 300' from our driveway to the end of the city maintained street, and a neighbor with a big tractor/loader who would plow a single lane to the highway.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
HOA. no livestock allowed. Horses and pets only.

You have an HOA with no livestock on 4 acres in the country? Wow. I've heard of limited livestock but none? And they allow horses? Hmm. You could probably get away with a dozen or so chickens. They could be "pets".

Reactions: cdnlngld

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
There's just about nothing I can think of that I would want to do less than constantly dealing with horse people. Be prepared to be constantly dealing with Ritz Carlton expectations with Motel 6 wallets.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Just purchaced a new home just outside of Ames with 4.4 acres (3 small pastures, indoor riding arean w/ 6 horse stables, small outbuilding for hay/equiptment,)

I need any advise you can spare. We have never had an acreage and don't know the first thing about horses. We are planning on self care boarding the stables for a little bit of suplimentary income.

Eventually plan on having a horse or two of our own.

I am going to need to purchace a tractor for mowing/snow plowing, and areana maintenance. I am thinking a smaller tractor with a bucket and will need a grader for driveway. Hope to get one with a 60" mowing deck.

Anyway, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 128172
Looks like some really nice property. Good luck!

If your into trees (I am), and on a budget and cheap (I am), plant some baby trees now, very small or saplings (which you can get for next to nothing at Arbour Day Society, or other. Consider a few native hardwoods to your area (oak, hickory, etc.) around the house and perimeter of property. You might check with horse or animal requirements regarding trees in their living area, i.e., tree and oak nuts might be a problem for certain animals to ingest, I am no expert. Consider a few maples (Sugar, Red), maybe a few Cleveland Pears (stay away from Bradford Pear).

Lastly, it looks like you have room for a tree orchard! Viewing your property, I would say around your house or the house side of your large horse outbuilding, near a water supply initially. If your will be planting apple trees, stay away from planting them near any cedars (Eastern Red Cedar, Juniper) secondary to cedar-apple rust disease.

Do a little work now, then in 5-10 years you can reap the benefits! You'll be surprised at how big they will be after 10 years even.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
You'll eventually come up with something that works for you, but a couple of things I might consider would be renting the horse facilities and pasture out if you don't currently have horses. Horse people being horse people. you'd want a strong lease and stay ahead on the rent. For snow removal, there are a lot of guys with pickups with plows on them that are always looking for work. It's good to have AWD/4WD if you have to get out for work. I suppose you might be able to rent the buildings out for storage as well.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
if you’re looking to save pennies, i would suggest contacting a realtor and selling your acreage ASAP. I love living on an acreage but it isn’t cheap.

You might as well bite the bullet and get your tractor, zero turn and tractor mounted snow blower now as it’s going to be tough to be out there without those.

Also, think through what happens during a 3 day blizzard and you and yourself family can’t get to town.

Well if it gets really bad they can eat one of the boarders horses.
Enjoy doing their chores for them when they can't come out due to weather.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron