Acreage tips from the Fanatics

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So, one of the next items I wanted to look at would be the feasability of putting in a well on the property. The house and barn are currently fed by Xenia rural water. However, as I understand it, horses will need between 5 to 10 gallons day, per horse. That is going to lead to some high ass water bills. Does anyone have any experience with installing a well on their property? It looks like it could coast somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500 to $5000 just to dig the well. I would assume that does not cover the cost of the pump and anything else that needs to be done. I would probably only use to offset the cost of watering the horses/garden. We are just a few hundred yards from onion creek, so I would hope we would not need to go very deep for water(i understand we might need to go deeper to get clean water).

I have no idea. But all of my parents’ neighbors are on rural water rather than their wells.

Reactions: cdnlngld

raftercy

Sep 6, 2006
Albia, IA
Before digging a well, I would wait to see how much water usage there actually is before going to that expense. We live on 16 acres, have 4 horses on the property throughout the year, and then will rent some of the pasture to an additional 6 cow/calf pairs and the bull, which are there May through September. We do not have a well, only rural water. The summer months we see an increase in water usage above the minimum gallons, but when the cattle aren't there, water usage is not very high, usually not above the minimum usage base rate. You can add a well if you see where water usage is very high, but I would suggest not doing so until it's proven that it is actually needed.

Reactions: cdnlngld and wxman1

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
So, one of the next items I wanted to look at would be the feasability of putting in a well on the property. The house and barn are currently fed by Xenia rural water. However, as I understand it, horses will need between 5 to 10 gallons day, per horse. That is going to lead to some high ass water bills. Does anyone have any experience with installing a well on their property? It looks like it could coast somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500 to $5000 just to dig the well. I would assume that does not cover the cost of the pump and anything else that needs to be done. I would probably only use to offset the cost of watering the horses/garden. We are just a few hundred yards from onion creek, so I would hope we would not need to go very deep for water(i understand we might need to go deeper to get clean water).
We had a new well put in for one of our shops about 5 years ago. We received 4 estimates from the same company depending on which aquifer they had to drill to in order to get consistent water. For the drilling and complete well set up, our estimates ranged from $9k for a 160 foot well to $24k for a 550 foot well. We ended up needing nearly 700 feet of well before we got adequate water and the cost was over $30k.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Avoid a well at all cost IMO. You’ll face a high installation cost and probably abandon it in 15 years. Rural water is cheap. You don’t pay a treatment fee either.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I think you may be considerably low on the well cost.

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
Congratulations on getting the tractor and mower for the property. I highly recommend ensuring that the 1025r has the 50 hour maintenance on the hydraulic system. Pretty basic, filters, screen, and new fluid. You can do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. YouTube videos by Tractor Tim With Tim are a great source of information about the 1025r.

Reactions: cdnlngld

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Before digging a well, I would wait to see how much water usage there actually is before going to that expense. We live on 16 acres, have 4 horses on the property throughout the year, and then will rent some of the pasture to an additional 6 cow/calf pairs and the bull, which are there May through September. We do not have a well, only rural water. The summer months we see an increase in water usage above the minimum gallons, but when the cattle aren't there, water usage is not very high, usually not above the minimum usage base rate. You can add a well if you see where water usage is very high, but I would suggest not doing so until it's proven that it is actually needed.
This is our plan.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
We had a new well put in for one of our shops about 5 years ago. We received 4 estimates from the same company depending on which aquifer they had to drill to in order to get consistent water. For the drilling and complete well set up, our estimates ranged from $9k for a 160 foot well to $24k for a 550 foot well. We ended up needing nearly 700 feet of well before we got adequate water and the cost was over $30k.
Ouch!

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Plant some black walnut trees so your grandkids can sell someday
I am all for planting trees and am guessing they won't be planted in the pastured areas but had a friend who sold his acreage and moved to a retirement village. The new owners (wanna be horse people) immediately after taking possession cut down all the walnut and butternut trees "as horses don't do well stepping on the nuts". My friend was devastated as he had the same intent when he had planted/managed them some twenty five years earlier and they were all burned on a pile and no use was made from them

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Are you supplementing with hay? On the pasture I rent out (80 acres) I don’t allow more than 20 cow/calf pairs. We’ve been in a drought area and that 20 stress the pasture

raftercy

Sep 6, 2006
Albia, IA
Are you supplementing with hay? On the pasture I rent out (80 acres) I don’t allow more than 20 cow/calf pairs. We’ve been in a drought area and that 20 stress the pasture
The pastures are cross-fenced, and there are 4 different sections, and the owners of the cows rotates pastures every week. Each section is grazed for a week, and then gets three weeks off before being grazed again. That helps the grass recover and gives much more coverage out of the acres we have available. We do monitor the grass, and hay will be put out if needed, but that has only happened once in 10 years.