All those bricks

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
19-14 is not the measure of a good team. Only thing TJ lacked this year was talent. Most coaches given this team would have been easily 14-19 or worse.
Next year he will have his recruited players....should be fun

If 19-14 (9-9) in the Big 12 is a bad team... I could go with that but we'd have to agree there are only about 20 good teams in all of college basketball.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
If 19-14 (9-9) in the Big 12 is a bad team... I could go with that but we'd have to agree there are only about 20 good teams in all of college basketball.
This season I would say was very unsatisfying. Many times I had to reset my expectations. Early season success in Portland and a great conference start. Then came a combination of multiple weeks of beating a top 10 team at home and then laying an egg on the road to a bottom half conference team. Then comes the last 10 games where we started to actually lose at home, look very rattled on the road and somehow look like a final 4 team in 2 games against Baylor. Unfortunately this game was suck beyond suck and is very frontal for us. My thought at the beginning of the year was that we could make the tournament and maybe win a game based on seed and matchup. So for me, a week down the road I'll recover and appreciate the good times of this year. But also. Excited for the next few.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This season I would say was very unsatisfying. Many times I had to reset my expectations. Early season success in Portland and a great conference start. Then came a combination of multiple weeks of beating a top 10 team at home and then laying an egg on the road to a bottom half conference team. Then comes the last 10 games where we started to actually lose at home, look very rattled on the road and somehow look like a final 4 team in 2 games against Baylor. Unfortunately this game was suck beyond suck and is very frontal for us. My thought at the beginning of the year was that we could make the tournament and maybe win a game based on seed and matchup. So for me, a week down the road I'll recover and appreciate the good times of this year. But also. Excited for the next few.

I'd agree with that. For a week or two it was looking like 3 seed in DesMoines when the guys were hitting shots.

There's no reason not to be optimistic.

I don't think the intent of any program is to shoot as poorly as today. Honestly think it requires being bad and unlucky, we were down to 5% from 3 until that last 3. That's not easy to do.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I'd agree with that. For a week or two it was looking like 3 seed in DesMoines when the guys were hitting shots.

I don't think the intent of any program is to shoot as poorly as today. Honestly think it requires being bad and unlucky, we were down to 5% from 3 until that last 3. That's not easy to do.
Honestly, before the season started I was really concerned about where the points would come from. We overperformed my expectations early on and through much of the season. In the end, I think the team performed about as well as my preseason expectations were.

83cy

May 14, 2006

Nice insight!

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Once we missed a few shots, it seemed like everyone got tight and hesitant. No confidence in their shots. Just a team-wide mental block. Occurs as often as Halley's Comet I'd say.

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
I'm half way into building a sprawling brick mansion after today's game. Not sure where I'm going to get the rest of the bricks to finish it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Sounds like the game officials were going to give ISU the opportunity to get their full warmup in after the rim was leveled, but the coaches declined. And then we had that shooting performance. Someone needs to be slapped upside the head.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
Once we missed a few shots, it seemed like everyone got tight and hesitant. No confidence in their shots. Just a team-wide mental block. Occurs as often as Halley's Comet I'd say.
Early in the game Gabe and Holmes missed wide open 3's that weren't even close. I said out loud at that point, this ain't good. With Grill off the team, the only other long range option was Jaz. Jaz proceeded to barely hit rim on his attempts. The team noticeably got timid after the first few misses. That will happen on a team where you don't really have many good shooters, if any.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Early in the game Gabe and Holmes missed wide open 3's that weren't even close. I said out loud at that point, this ain't good. With Grill off the team, the only other long range option was Jaz. Jaz proceeded to barely hit rim on his attempts. The team noticeably got timid after the first few misses. That will happen on a team where you don't really have many good shooters, if any.

They actually had several really good looks from three. Wide open shots with plenty of time.

They just missed. And missed bunnies. And missed FTs.

I love the effort from this group, but I think we were all aware that this would be nother "bridge" season due to the whole Green getting a call from Milwaukee at the last second, King not getting his waiver, and Williams going down. Damn near everything that could go wrong did go wrong and they still made the tourney. Green and Williams combined would probably have been over 20 points a game.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Were laid by guys who won't be next year.

Hopefully they'll make a good foundation for our great new recruits and the returning guys that actually looked pretty solid by the end of the year.
Optimism. I'm in. This coach knows what he's doing, cares, and sees where we are going.

Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Sounds like the game officials were going to give ISU the opportunity to get their full warmup in after the rim was leveled, but the coaches declined. And then we had that shooting performance. Someone needs to be slapped upside the head.

I think that would have just delayed what happened. We just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn today.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think that would have just delayed what happened. We just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn today.

That's certainly a possibility. But it's also a possibility that instead of getting the chance to find their shot before the game started, they had to do it during the game, and it took only minutes to completely wreck their confidence for the game. In either case, it was dumb to turn down the offer to get their full warmup in. I mean, just hitting 2 or 3 more threes in the first half would have completely changed the complexion of the game in the second half.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It kind of is what it is until TJ can find just a few shooters. Besides Gabe and Holmes there wasn't anyone on the team that you could trust to take a shot. Losing Grill hurt, because he was one of those guys that saved ISU in a handful of games this year. Jaz, not really sure what was with him, but he was probably a 20% shooter after coming back from injury. Really need to find someone like T. Mcgee in the portal. This team was way to easy to defend with Lipsey not shooting, and guys like Shoon, Jones, Ward, Watson, and post injury Jaz being worthless from beyond 3 feet, and not reliable inside of 3 feet for some games.

I suspect that Lipsey will come back as a much better shooter next year. The kid just sounds like he is too determined to not get better.

Help Support Us

Become a patron