Ames Weather

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Read the National Weather Service forecast discussion. They have pulled back on the "crazy high" predictions for now for parts of Iowa. But the high winds and powdery snow will make it treacherous, especially Thursday night.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Weather folk said today would be the first day they could offer any kind of accuracy on the snow fall amounts. Those cold temps alone make me want to stay home!

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
We were planning to drive from northern Colorado to Des Moines on Thursday, spend the night with my mom, before continuing on to the in-laws in CR. I'm thinking that definitely isn't happening. We are considering delaying our departure until Friday, but I kind of doubt even then that the roads will be cleared away. Thoughts?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We were planning to drive from northern Colorado to Des Moines on Thursday, spend the night with my mom, before continuing on to the in-laws in CR. I'm thinking that definitely isn't happening. We are considering delaying our departure until Friday, but I kind of doubt even then that the roads will be cleared away. Thoughts?

Not going to happen.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Reminds me of an old film.

If you have one of these, you'll be fine. Otherwise I'd concede the win to Mother Nature

review_damnation-alley.jpg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would check to see if you can get into Omaha maybe on Friday and then make the drive on Saturday.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I can't remember a game being cancelled in the 20+ years I have had season tickets, I have driven from the Des Moines suburbs to games when I thought later I should have stayed home. This storm is so unpredictable and with it being just before players can go home I am glad they have cancelled for the players sake. On the other thread there are people complaining about this with no regard for player safety after the games.

WFBClone

Aug 10, 2018
I can't remember a game being cancelled in the 20+ years I have had season tickets, I have driven from the Des Moines suburbs to games when I thought later I should have stayed home. This storm is so unpredictable and with it being just before players can go home I am glad they have cancelled for the players sake. On the other thread there are people complaining about this with no regard for player safety after the games.
November 22, 2015, ISU women's game against New Orleans. New Orleans team could not get to Ames. Nothing was done for ticket holders.

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
A bit off topic, but I have lived in colder climates than this. NUMBER ONE rule if stranded: Stay in your car and wait for help. The vast majority of people who die in such conditions, other than in accidents, are people who thought they should walk to the nearest farm, nearest town, etc. It is shocking how easily one can become disoriented in a blizzard. So, if you have to travel this holiday season, in the kind of weather they are expecting, please stay in your vehicle and be sure to have extra clothing, blankets and/sleeping bags, food and water and some source of heat; even candles can help. Finally #1, beware of CO - the silent killer. Finally #2, carry a portable power supply to ensure your phone is functional for hours; you may need it.

True story. Two students headed out to work in a blizzard. Place of work was rural. They got stuck. They had the sense to stay in their vehicle. They ended up calling a farmer they knew who lived about 2-3 miles away. He came out on his John Deere 9460; in the blizzard, he said he was lost and disoriented almost the moment he left his driveway but managed to find the kids and bring them home until the storm cleared. Had they left their vehicle, their chances were pretty much nil - even though there was a small town only half a mile away. We all want to be with family this Christmas, but please be safe.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Two weeks between games is a long time. I almost wish they would try to schedule a game with someone between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

Help Support Us

Become a patron