Anchorage Alaska Travel

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
The wife and I are heading to Anchorage in May. We have no idea what to expect. We have an excursion planned to the Nature Center and a whale cruise. We aren't ballers but have a middle America amount of money to spend. I would really like to do a Northern Lights deal one day. Good, average food is our plan. Any suggestions for folks who have been there?

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Take a drive down to Seward and go on a halibut charter. Beautiful scenery on the way and halibut is one of the best tasting fish on the planet. We saw whales and tons of other wildlife from the charter boat as well. Also, you can walk right up to Exit glacier near Seward.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Pack for the weather. My wife and I went on an Alaskan cruise about 6 years ago - we went in the middle of June and I don’t think the temp went above 60 the entire time.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Don't know how many days you have or if you are renting a car or not.

Take one day and go to Whittier (car, bus, or train) and do the 27 Glacier Tour, it is very good, includes lunch.

As suggested, a drive to Seward to get a feel for how big Alaska really is, a lot to do in Seward, so that will be a long day. If you drive to Whittier for Glacier cruise you are about 20% of the way to Seward.

In Anchorage they have a Museum downtown by the convention center that is good for Alaska history. If you are there on a Saturday morning they have a farmers market downtown that is fun to walk through, I think it opens in May.

It may not be a warm as you expect in May! If you get a chance to go fishing, bring real warm clothes for being on the water in May. Fishing guides and trips are easy to find with information at all the hotels.

Food is easy to figure out, just avoid the chains. If you like Gin & tonics, there is a newer restaurant and bar south on old Seward at O'Malley that specializes in gin & tonics and has good food. I forgot the name. The best pizza is a place called Moose Toes (I think I got the name right?) on Old Seward just south of Tudor Road.

Have fun!

Reactions: arobb

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Are the Northern Lights still something to count on in May? Anchorage is south of the Arctic Circle so there's no 24 hours of sunlight but even there the nights are getting short and the amount of true darkness as opposed to twilight is getting pretty limited.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Don't know how many days you have or if you are renting a car or not.

Take one day and go to Whittier (car, bus, or train) and do the 27 Glacier Tour, it is very good, includes lunch.

As suggested, a drive to Seward to get a feel for how big Alaska really is, a lot to do in Seward, so that will be a long day. If you drive to Whittier for Glacier cruise you are about 20% of the way to Seward.

In Anchorage they have a Museum downtown by the convention center that is good for Alaska history. If you are there on a Saturday morning they have a farmers market downtown that is fun to walk through, I think it opens in May.

It may not be a warm as you expect in May! If you get a chance to go fishing, bring real warm clothes for being on the water in May. Fishing guides and trips are easy to find with information at all the hotels.

Food is easy to figure out, just avoid the chains. If you like Gin & tonics, there is a newer restaurant and bar south on old Seward at O'Malley that specializes in gin & tonics and has good food. I forgot the name. The best pizza is a place called Moose Toes (I think I got the name right?) on Old Seward just south of Tudor Road.

Have fun!

Moose's Tooth. Otherwise spot on.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Gotta lyric bomb the thread.......

Hey Shell, you know it's kind of funny
Texas always seemed so big
But you know you're in the largest state in the union
When you're anchored down in Anchorage
Oh, Anchorage
Anchored down in Anchorage
Oh, Anchorage

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Gotta lyric bomb the thread.......

Hey Shell, you know it's kind of funny
Texas always seemed so big
But you know you're in the largest state in the union
When you're anchored down in Anchorage
Oh, Anchorage
Anchored down in Anchorage
Oh, Anchorage
If you melt down Alaska, it's the size of Rhode Island.
So Texas is STILL bigger.
:p

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I did a day-trip bus tour down to Denali, got on a short whale-watching cruise, and then they drove us back to Anchorage. It was fun - there are lots of different options like that.

This is a fun little tourist trap: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...ska_Wild_Berry_Products-Anchorage_Alaska.html

There was a good restaurant across the street when I went, but that was about ten years ago? It had an amazing chicken pot pie.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Drive to Seward and spend a night or two there - the road going to Seward is wonderful with stopping points along the way (beluga point, bird point, 20 mile river, etc). Go on a daycruise from Seward.

Drive from Denali to Fairbanks and if you have time go to tour to the Artic circle - I heard it’s a lifetime experience.

Help Support Us

Become a patron