Another Sports Illustrated story on Gene!!!

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
is this something to be excited about? :err:

Besides.... I think this was posted already (see the Cheesedip thread)

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
GC may do okay at Auburn, he certainly had more money to throw at assistant coaches, and it appears he ended up with some better ones. The expectation at Auburn will be a lot higher though. 6 or 7 wins will get you fired there, at Iowa State, you would be a genius.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I guess we can't expect them to research every angle of a story like this, but wasn't it ISU that chose Chizik over Kelly. Not Kelly taking the Cinci job over the ISU gig?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe the question can be asked who between GC or PR even now has the best top two assistants.....

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
A very interesting read. My belief is that, most likely, Chiz will be an example of the Peter Principle and not the Pete Principle.

If you look back over recent history, there have been a lot of successful coordinators who have become successful head coaches, but there also have been a lot of successful coordinators who have not panned out as head coaches. My belief is that he will fall into the latter category.

I thought it was a dumb hire from day one. He had absolutely no ties to Iowa or the University so, in my humble opinion, Jamie "the Brain Child" Pollard had boxed himself into a corner. If Chiz was successful at ISU a host of big-time programs were going to be all over him with big money and he would be out of Ames within 3-5 years tops. If he wasn't successful, well, he would be out of Ames within 3-5 years tops.

In spite of the fact that Pollard is a shining example of the Peter Principle (similar to Steve Pederson at Nebraska), I will hand it to him that Paul Rhoads was a great hire. If PR struggles during his first few years, I think Cyclone fans will have more patience because he is an Iowa guy who "wants" to be here. If ultimately he is successful, it will take a lot to lure him from Ames because of his strong family ties to the area.

Will Chiz be successful at Auburn? I rather doubt it. For one, he came off as a coach who never accepted responsibility for anything, but on the other hand, quickly "threw his players under the bus." Secondly, he has a CEO mentality, which, in most cases, doesn't work at the college level. And thirdly (and maybe more importantly), I think Auburn fans, alum, and boosters will give him a very, very short rope. There was skepticism when he was hired and if he doesn't go bowling fairly quickly, he'll be fleeing Auburn under the cover of darkness.

It will be fun to watch, won't it.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I have to admit it - anyone who can parlay a 5-19 career record into a head coach job at Auburn is indeed fascinating.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
In the days leading up to [Pete] Carroll's appointment, the athletic department was inundated with...phone calls and e-mails...mostly blasting [USC athletic director Mike] Garrett's decision to hire Carroll. Some even went so far as as to threaten to donate their money to academic programs rather than the football team.

Oh, the horror! :jimlad:

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
GC may do okay at Auburn, he certainly had more money to throw at assistant coaches, and it appears he ended up with some better ones. The expectation at Auburn will be a lot higher though. 6 or 7 wins will get you fired there, at Iowa State, you would be a genius.

I thought ISU was third in the Big XII (behind Texas and Oklahoma), in what we pay our football assistants. I believe this pay bump went in effect after Geno was hired. I don't know what Auburn pays, but Geno certainly could have gotten more bang for the buck in hiring assistants. Maybe he has learned his lesson, and won't hire any more buddies with suspect credentials.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
This day should belong to Paul Rhoads. Gene Chizik is no longer our coach (thank god). I really hope after Rhoads wins a couple of games that the Chizik posts stop completely. Gene did ISU a huge favor by leaving. We now have the right guy to lead our program.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
This day should belong to Paul Rhoads. Gene Chizik is no longer our coach (thank god). I really hope after Rhoads wins a couple of games that the Chizik posts stop completely. Gene did ISU a huge favor by leaving. We now have the right guy to lead our program.

Like I said Gene who

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Anyone posts anything conerning Gene cheesedick should be banned for life on here. I agree...he is no concern for this program....so leave it at the gate