Another Submission to the Big 12 Apology Binder?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
That was a bad call. I was more upset with the Oklahoma player getting flagged for delay of game for mimicking Purdy's clapping to snap the ball. The fact that the ref basically hand his hand on his flag, ready to throw it before it even happened, and Purdy's immediate pointing to the player who did it after the whistle blew tells me Iowa State told the refs they were doing it. How many off-sides did he draw before he finally got flagged? I know the play right before we got called for off-sides. Most likely because of the illegal clapping. Bush league, especially if he was being instructed by the coaches.

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
That was a bad call. I was more upset with the Oklahoma player getting flagged for delay of game for mimicking Purdy's clapping to snap the ball. The fact that the ref basically hand his hand on his flag, ready to throw it before it even happened, and Purdy's immediate pointing to the player who did it after the whistle blew tells me Iowa State told the refs they were doing it. How many off-sides did he draw before he finally got flagged? I know the play right before we got called for off-sides. Most likely because of the illegal clapping. Bush league, especially if he was being instructed by the coaches.

I watched CMC walk out of the tunnel and have a lengthy talk with a ref after the half, so Campbell definitely got the word in

Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Nothing to see here folks.

That must be photoshopped or something, because that's obvious PI.... why wouldn't that get called?? :rolleyes:

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
It was a bad no call. This apology letter tour is dumb though. We had so many chances to win that game well before that play. 3 dropped picks, a ridiculous amount of penalties, poor angles and tackling in the first half, etc. It was not our cleanest game but the guys fought for 4 quarters. Really proud of the effort but disappointed in the attention to detail for 4 quarters.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I really disliked the announcers waving this off as hand fighting between the receiver and the DB, when it was really just a guy knowing he was toast and mugging the WR to get another play. Refs should be embarrassed for letting that go.
Like you said in another thread, OU had little incentive to not do that. Worse case scenario and the ball moves one yard

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It was a bad no call. This apology letter tour is dumb though. We had so many chances to win that game well before that play. 3 dropped picks, a ridiculous amount of penalties, poor angles and tackling in the first half, etc. It was not our cleanest game but the guys fought for 4 quarters. Really proud of the effort but disappointed in the attention to detail for 4 quarters.

while it is true that it was not all just that one play, and there were plenty of other opportunities to win, that was ISU's best chance to win the game at the end, and it was clearly a complete mugging. It isn't like ISU is begging for an extra break here. Just call the really obvious stuff like this.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Effort imo has been one of this teams' strongest aspects.

The 'attention to details' thing has been the issue. Watching the NFL on Sunday is constant reminders what little things can do to make or break the game, and ISU is finding that out.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Bad officiating overall by that crew. Both sides.
But the no call at the end was the most blatant, game changing error.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
The one that really got me was the call against us for an illegal shift or something like that.....OU declined the penalty which set up a 4th and 14, and when the OU coaching staff saw our offense stay on the field they then changed their minds and accepted the penalty. Think it turned into a 3rd and 30 after that.

So it's cool for us to ask the other team what they're going to do if we accept or decline a penalty now, right? Seems like it. Once that decision is made and it's announced by the head ref, that should be final.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The one that really got me was the call against us for an illegal shift or something like that.....OU declined the penalty which set up a 4th and 14, and when the OU coaching staff saw our offense stay on the field they then changed their minds and accepted the penalty. Think it turned into a 3rd and 30 after that.

So it's cool for us to ask the other team what they're going to do if we accept or decline a penalty now, right? Seems like it. Once that decision is made and it's announced by the head ref, that should be final.

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Guess I don't know the specific rules, but it seems wrong to let them change their mind after the other teams ready to run a play.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I really disliked the announcers waving this off as hand fighting between the receiver and the DB, when it was really just a guy knowing he was toast and mugging the WR to get another play. Refs should be embarrassed for letting that go.
I agree. The difference between letting this go say....halfway through the first quarter and the last play of the game is night and day. Who knows what transpires through out the course of the game halfway into the first quarter. This is basically allowing the defending team to win at all cost. Seen it way too many of these such calls go against ISU.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
As much as that was a (kinda) bad no-call, I actually think the refs were mostly even in the game. That play didn't look THAT bad in real time to me, and our guy still could have cought it. I think it would have gotten called if Purdy threw it a bit higher and our guy couldn't get his left arm up to secure it, but he threw it basically on the numbers.

In summation, I wasn't really that upset about it. Gotta take better angles and TACKLE early in the game.