anyone heard how J T Rock is doing this fall

blood94

May 10, 2010
i was wondering if anyone had hear anything on how JT is coming along in practice and if the plan is still to reshirt him this season?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Saw him putting in some work on twitter. Was the plan to redshirt him? Must have missed that.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It’s early, but I would assume the lack of news/noise tells everything you need to know. Not that this is a bad thing. I would continue to assume that he’s going to spend a ton of time in the weight room and will be ready to hit the ground running next fall.

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Someone remind me - does basketball have a minimum games that can be played while retaining the redshirt?

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Someone remind me - does basketball have a minimum games that can be played while retaining the redshirt?
Nope. There’s been discussion around it, but once you check in, the (non-medical) redshirt is gone.

Edit: it looks like they changed it last year. My bad. But it’s 4 games for basketball, too.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I’ve never heard he was going to officially redshirt. I’ve heard “couch QBs” speculate that, but nothing official.

I saw the same footage as you, probably, just here in the last few days. Definitely practicing/participating.
Depends on what you mean by "official". Blum more or less said redshirting was the plan on the podcast when he talked about how valuable it was that they could use NIL to get him on campus a year early and develope him in the program. Of course there was a caveat that injuries or how well he was performing in practice could change that. That was a while ago so I could be mis-remembering what he said, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’ve never heard he was going to officially redshirt. I’ve heard “couch QBs” speculate that, but nothing official.

I saw the same footage as you, probably, just here in the last few days. Definitely practicing/participating.

I liked what I saw in the videos as well. Would not shock if we use him this year.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Osen at 247Sports did report that Rock would redshirt when his reclassifying was first announced. I guess that's not "official" in that it wasn't said publicly by Rock or Otz, but I'd expect that's close to as official as it would get until the season starts. Unless we start to hear other rumblings, I'd expect that Rock redshirts.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Depends on what you mean by "official". Blum more or less said redshirting was the plan on the podcast when he talked about how valuable it was that they could use NIL to get him on campus a year early and develope him in the program. Of course there was a caveat that injuries or how well he was performing in practice could change that. That was a while ago so I could be mis-remembering what he said, but I'm pretty sure that's right.
I need the coach to say it. No disrespect to Blum or Osen.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
We lose a lot of our bigs after this season. Having JT come early (even as a redshirt) puts him in a better position to play next season. I'm pretty sure the plan was to redshirt him. There was discussion that he thought he could develop his body and game faster here in Ames compared to another HS year. If he develops quicker than expected or some injuries happen, he could play this season so you can't rule it out.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We lose a lot of our bigs after this season. Having JT come early (even as a redshirt) puts him in a better position to play next season. I'm pretty sure the plan was to redshirt him. There was discussion that he thought he could develop his body and game faster here in Ames compared to another HS year. If he develops quicker than expected or some injuries happen, he could play this season so you can't rule it out.
Yeah, he'll be way ahead of where he would have been going against these guys in practice.

Reactions: t-noah and ScottyP

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I think NIL has really changed the math about red-shirting again, too. If Rock is a one-and-some type, then you absolutely play him garbage minutes this year, even (or especially) if he’s not ready. But if there’s a chance that he’s a G-leaguer, maybe you think twice in case he might want the extra year of eligibility/income.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think NIL has really changed the math about red-shirting again, too. If Rock is a one-and-some type, then you absolutely play him garbage minutes this year, even (or especially) if he’s not ready. But if there’s a chance that he’s a G-leaguer, maybe you think twice in case he might want the extra year of eligibility/income.

I don’t think he’s quite at that level. Depends on what type of guy he is/his family is/his agent is as to what level they think he is at.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
Osen at 247Sports did report that Rock would redshirt when his reclassifying was first announced. I guess that's not "official" in that it wasn't said publicly by Rock or Otz, but I'd expect that's close to as official as it would get until the season starts. Unless we start to hear other rumblings, I'd expect that Rock redshirts.

Give Rock a year to develop in a college program and NBA scouts, maybe more so media will have a “wow” factor for a redshirt freshman year in seeing a more polished player.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I don’t know but I saw him at a recent volleyball game with Lipsey, Big Rob and Watson. Cool that those guys supported a fellow team and cool that JT is hanging out with some of the veterans.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't see it. If he's good enough to crack the rotation he will if not they'll keep his his games down so he can RS. Really no reason to cost a kid a year of eligibility just so he can't get paid for an extra year from a blueblood. Besides that's more likely to happen to a guard or wing. Bigs get drafted on potential