Arnaud

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
AA went 31 for 45 last year at Kansas State, setting a new ISU record with 440 passing yards and 3 TD (2 INT).

Where is this guy? The most frustrating part is that the OL is giving him plenty of time.

Thoughts? Is he still getting comfortable in the system and the switch hasn't come on yet?

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
no... he isnt a good enough QB and i do not see him coming around consitently. he might have a good game here and there but i do not see him ever being reliable

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Frankly, we don't need to see that version of him. I'm totally fine with a 15/22 for 220 and 1TD type of games from him.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Arnaud might not be a Heisman QB, but based on what he did last year, he is clearly a good enough QB to compete. Herman has said himself that Arnaud is better than the QB he had at Rice.

I think he is getting use to the system and he seems to be feeling more comfortable with every game (his decision making was much better this past game). Remember, even with a year under him as a backup, Arnaud didn't really come alive until the A&M game.

BuzzBuzzBuzz

Dec 1, 2007
AMES
i also am fine with the running idea.... just run it

In Big XII play, based on our offensive capabilities this year, we're going to see bigger, stronger, faster teams leave a few more in the box and try to make us beat them in the air... Only makes sense.

We REALLY need Arnaud to come around and make the passing game a threat or the running game will go away.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Not too worried about it, when teams start to key on stopping us on the rushing end that will open up the passing game. I think since the turnout of the Iowa game, when we were looking to pass more often then we should have, we have worked more on overall strategy, take what they give us type view. I am excited to see what happens next week, I think we have a great change to show a lot. 4-1 would be a perfect start to the Roads era.....

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
His best throws this year have come with him on the move. I think we need to find more ways to move the pocket and let the ball fly. I just do not think he can cut it as a drop back 2-4 steps and launch it, which is want this system would like. But, its the first year in the system so I am not trying to get too down on it.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Its a combination of two things. Arnaud is still learning the system and getting comfortable, but the recievers besides Hamilton need to start getting seperation. They have the talent, they need to use it... Its hilarious all these people talking down about arnaud after a few decent games and a bad game, but were all in praises last year and over the summer...

Reactions: bosco

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Its a combination of two things. Arnaud is still learning the system and getting comfortable, but the recievers besides Hamilton need to start getting seperation. They have the talent, they need to use it... Its hilarious all these people talking down about arnaud after a few decent games and a bad game, but were all in praises last year and over the summer...

I agree. The first 3 games I thought AA was off. He was either throwing too high, or low, with not much touch. This last game I think AA played a pretty solid game and a lot of times when he missed receivers it was either he was throwing to a spot where the defender couldn't get to it or the receiver wasn't there. I think the receivers are not helping AA out much here. They aren't getting enough separation and aren't on the same page as the QB.

Reactions: jaretac

wyocy

Dec 20, 2008
wyoming
The thing that bothers me about Arnaud is that his throwing, specifically his accuracy, doesn't seem to be progressing as he gets older. I obviously don't see him in person like you guys back in Ames do, so I don't see the whole field, but the game I did see him in Boulder last year there were several drives that ended with poorly thrown balls to open receivers. He just seems to me to be in a Bret Meyer type rut where he doesn't get better from year to year. That's what's a little discouraging.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I agree. The first 3 games I thought AA was off. He was either throwing too high, or low, with not much touch. This last game I think AA played a pretty solid game and a lot of times when he missed receivers it was either he was throwing to a spot where the defender couldn't get to it or the receiver wasn't there. I think the receivers are not helping AA out much here. They aren't getting enough separation and aren't on the same page as the QB.

Bingo...AA is not as bad as some of you think.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I don't think Brett Meyer improved much after his sophomore season. I see a lot of similarities this year with receivers not being open and with the QB runs being a big factor in the offense. I hope we can make a turn around, but the opposing defenses are going to be tough from here on out.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
New year, new system. There's a lot more to learn with this system than meets the eye. Give the guy some time.
And credit the Arnaud's Iowa performance to Norm Parker's defensive scheme. That guy is considered brilliant even outside Hawkeye circles.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
That's way too many pass attempts. Especially when our running game has been solid all year. I'd rather see ARob get 150 yards on the ground, and Arnaud get 200/50.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I dont think people should worry or give up on him. We keep forgetting he is learning a new sytem, the coaches are probaly changing a few things on how he throws the ball, his top 2 recievers from last year are not on the field, while his 3rd top reciever from last year is slumping. I think Herman is relearning how to call games, he didnt have a RB threat last year and is trying to figure out a good ballance between the run and pass and when to call certin plays. Give it time.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
He's our QB and he is running well, he doesn't need 300 yds passing, just to improve the fundamentals and accuracy, look off defenders. I'd rather see a 60-70% comp and 200 passing and 50-70 rushing. I think that's our winning formula. If he's make the # of throws and yds he did last year that will mean we are coming from behind a lot.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I think the problem is coordination from AA and the WR's. The reads arent correct and I am sure Herman is working with them on that. Once they get in sync and understand how to read the defense it will come.

Reactions: kingcy

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think the problem is coordination from AA and the WR's. The reads arent correct and I am sure Herman is working with them on that. Once they get in sync and understand how to read the defense it will come.

Yep. This is correct. Many of his throws are on a wrong read. That happened twice in the Iowa game. I was impressed by Arnaud last night. He made a couple great throws, speciically the one where he was going to take off and run and saw the receiver turn down the sideline and he hit him in stride. I realize this is just one play, but I think it's a positive sign that we are somewhat starting to click a little. I don't expect this offense to be fantastic at all this year. I do expect them to be sufficient though. I think they can keep us in games, but we still need some defensive plays to pull some games out. There will be a game that Arob doesn't play well and we cannot run. Then we will see how good Arnaud is. In his one bad game, we tried to throw too much when they were willing to let us run. I want to see a defense play the run and try to make Arnaud beat them. When the pass defense is relaxed like that and they starting putting 8 in the box, then he will have a chance to do his thing, which I think he will do.