Asking again: Has the rot started to set in?

Has the rot started to creep in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
A coach that doesn’t cost us games with terrible in-game coaching. One that can make the right play calls. One that can manage a clock. One that can push a hurry-up offense.

What is so hard about this concept, particularly when no one seems to even be trying to defend Campbell on these issues anymore?
FWIW, one of the biggest knocks on Deboer is his in game coaching as well. Not sure if you know who that is, but hes coaching in the national championship Monday night. In game coaching flaws can be overcome, just as CMC has done. Nobody is defending him. He struggles with in game coaching and time management, at times. Additionally, none of us are standing on his front porch with pitchforks as you are

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
How ‘bout Crispy Crown Tots? They’re bite size and golden crisp.
Are those the mini ones? Bought some of those by mistake once and put them on a green bean tater tot casserole and was blown away by the improvement in the tot to bean ratio and overall level of crispiness to it.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Damn it. Demand undefeated seasons and national championships. Demand penalty free and turnover free. Demand converting all 3rd downs. Demand shutouts by the defense. Do not settle for mediocrity. Get a Coach who can win with non-NFL talent. Supposedly that guy is available and out there.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Damn it. Demand undefeated seasons and national championships. Demand penalty free and turnover free. Demand converting all 3rd downs. Demand shutouts by the defense. Do not settle for mediocrity. Get a Coach who can win with non-NFL talent. Supposedly that guy is available and out there.
Damn it. Demand a single rush yard. Demand better than getting 38 yards against Ohio. Demand better than 8 punts, seven 3-and-outs against UNI, and 3-11 on first down

Why are you resorting to straw mans?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Are those the mini ones? Bought some of those by mistake once and put them on a green bean tater tot casserole and was blown away by the improvement in the tot to bean ratio and overall level of crispiness to it.
There are mini tator tots and there are crispy rounds (they're like Taco John's Ole's). I switched a while back to the mini tots on Tater Tot Casserole and it made a big difference in ratio like you said.

• Friendly
Reactions: nrg4isu

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
For those who have not been following along I have provided this comprehensive thread summary:

x97vyN.gif

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Damn it. Demand a single rush yard. Demand better than getting 38 yards against Ohio. Demand better than 8 punts, seven 3-and-outs against UNI, and 3-11 on first down

Boy, probably not a good idea to reference the UNI game. First game with a COMPLETELY new offensive staff? New QB? New OL coach? What would you have liked to see against UNI?

You mean Ohio, when half the team had a ******* virus, and were throwing up at halftime?

Thanks for proving that what you are demanding is unrealistic.

You argue like Donald ******* Trump. You make 1 point that you think is good, and you hammer it until the rest of us are tired of hearing about it. Great Job

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Demand it. It’s that simple. Why settle for so little?

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
- Clock management/pre-snap confusion/penalties
- Unprepared after long prep time
- Stubborn to a fault of being predictable

These are my main things that need fixing. All have been visible his entire tenure. That doesn’t take away from success he’s had. But when you preach precision, discipline, winning in the margins and those things continue to happen?

That’s what produces 7.5 win seasons when it feels like 9-10 are there for the taking.

I’m not even mad. His success and vision have raised the standard of the fan base.

I think if we have these results with Rhoads all heart/passion the fan base is far and happy. With Matt, it seems like there’s actually hope for that next next step. But it hasn’t happened.
Of your points, I do agree that Campbell's clock management is well below average. I'm not sure it's as big of an issue as some people make it out to be, but it definitely can be an issue.

However, on your other points, I think they're mainly just things people say without knowing how Campbell and the staff actually compare to other football programs.

For instance, the one that has easily accessible data to refute your claim is penalties. Believe it or not, Iowa State had the 23rd-fewest penalties of any FBS team in the country this season, with the 32nd-fewest penalty yards (4.8 with 44 penalty yards per game). Those numbers are pretty similar to most other years in the Campbell era. Last year was a bit of an outlier with a more middle-of-the-pack 5.6 penalties per game (47th fewest in FBS). So even in Campbell's worst year for penalties (excluding 2016 as the transition year), Iowa State still was better than most FBS teams at avoiding them.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
New rule for this thread: if you’re gonna poo on the staff, include a realistic option for HC you’d want us to hire

Some coordinator from a blue blood, ignoring the athletes they got work with that made them so successful.

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
Of your points, I do agree that Campbell's clock management is well below average. I'm not sure it's as big of an issue as some people make it out to be, but it definitely can be an issue.

However, on your other points, I think they're mainly just things people say without knowing how Campbell and the staff actually compare to other football programs.

For instance, the one that has easily accessible data to refute your claim is penalties. Believe it or not, Iowa State had the 23rd-fewest penalties of any FBS team in the country this season, with the 32nd-fewest penalty yards (4.8 with 44 penalty yards per game). Those numbers are pretty similar to most other years in the Campbell era. Last year was a bit of an outlier with a more middle-of-the-pack 5.6 penalties per game (47th fewest in FBS). So even in Campbell's worst year for penalties (excluding 2016 as the transition year), Iowa State still was better than most FBS teams at avoiding them.
Great numbers. FWIW, I’m not citing being a penalty prone team as an issue. It’s the types of penalties, illegal formation, false start and other pre-snap/mental/preparation penalties that stand out.

Perhaps they aren’t worse than his peers, but the timing and impact of these penalties has hamstrung the team. And goes directly against the mantras preached.

Precision, detail, margins.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
US Today has a list of salaries for college Coaches.
Campbell is misted at #47, $4,005,537.
Our east neighbor, $7,000,000.
The guy at Washington was offered $9,400,000, and left to make
over $10,000,000.
All number are per year.
Go Cyclones.
If you think we need a new coach, fine, order your next checks in XL, so you can put more zeros on it .

Reactions: State2015

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron