Auto Insurance Claim due to an STD?

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010

Did I read this article correctly? This gal filed an auto claim when she caught an STD having sex in the insured's car, and won a settlement of $5.2 million?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
1. she gets HPV, decides to put in a claim for damages since it was an "injury or illness" she got in the car which was insured for liability by GEICO?
2. GEICO says "**** that" and denies the claim; under their agreement it goes to arbitration
3. Arbitrator finds that yeah, she did get the injury or illness in the car so GEICO is on the hook
4. GEICO appeals on the basis that this arbitration decision is bonkers
5. court says "nah, friends, you signed the arbitration agreement this is what you agreed on you gotta stick with it" and doesn't take their appeal

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
1. she gets HPV, decides to put in a claim for damages since it was an "injury or illness" she got in the car which was insured for liability by GEICO?
2. GEICO says "**** that" and denies the claim; under their agreement it goes to arbitration
3. Arbitrator finds that yeah, she did get the injury or illness in the car so GEICO is on the hook
4. GEICO appeals on the basis that this arbitration decision is bonkers
5. court says "nah, friends, you signed the arbitration agreement this is what you agreed on you gotta stick with it" and doesn't take their appeal
That’s insanely stupid but I’m happy whenever any type of insurance company loses money.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
How is that legal? If they did it at his home, would his home owners insurance be liable? Why is the location where they had sex relevant? This seems to open the door for a whole lot of BS.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That’s insanely stupid but I’m happy whenever any type of insurance company loses money.

When insurance companies lose money, just means your premiums go up! You might be one of the few people who enjoy paying more. You must love inflation!

My guess is every insurance company in America is going to soon send out an addendum to existing policy holders providing an exclusion for STD's.

Or a special rider to cover insured in case they give someone an STD. Wonder how an actuarial comes up with the probability and appropriate fee for that;)

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Spoiler alert - insurance companies don’t lose money. This will get passed along to the customers. And if GEICO can be on the hook for these types of claims, then every insurer writing auto insurance policies in Missouri will increase rates in response.

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
When insurance companies lose money, just means your premiums go up! You might be one of the few people who enjoy paying more. You must love inflation!

My guess is every insurance company in America is going to soon send out an addendum to existing policy holders providing an exclusion for STD's.

Or a special rider to cover insured in case they give someone an STD. Wonder how an actuarial comes up with the probability and appropriate fee for that;)
I love you. Insurance is a slimy business but yes, I understand your point. Still, **** insurance companies.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Or just cover injury, not illness.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Did I read this article correctly? This gal filed an auto claim when she caught an STD having sex in the insured's car, and won a settlement of $5.2 million?
Not going to click on the article but there's no possible way Geico is on the hook for 5.2 mil how could someone have limits that high?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Insanity, why did they send it to arbitration? That was their mistake. Should have just denied the claim as this had nothing to do with auto insurance.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I worked an accident claim years ago. Our client caused the wreck and we were settling injuries.

Got the medical records and noticed the person had low grade syphilis and herpes.

Didn't really give a **** about any of that unless he somehow got it from the steering wheel of from our client during the accident

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The auto insurance carrier is only obligated to pay out to the policy limits that was purchased by the owner of the car. The rest of any settlement is the responsibility of the negligent party.

Edit: You cant purchase that much coverage on an auto policy anyway, You want excess liability? Buy an umbrella policy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron