Barry Sanders, 1988 uniforms and attendance

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Re: Barry Sanders, 1998 uniforms and attendance

That was the last game of the '88 season. We were 5-5 at that point. That was back in the day when 5-5 was not a good record, and winning and being 6-5 would not get you into a bowl game. Barry Sanders was unbelievable, I remember that long run too. Back and forth all day long.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Not a fun day to be in marching band.

That's the type of day where valve oil bottles and slide spray bottles magically got refilled with another clear liquid to help keep the people "lubricated" as well.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I was at that game. The weather was cold, windy, and miserable. Barry’s runs were incredible. OSU was ranked at the time and we were huge underdogs. It was tied 28-28 going into the 4th Quarter before Barry finished us off.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

FWIW I remember Pete Taylor once saying that Barry Sanders actually verbally committed to ISU before signing with Oklahoma State. Add him to the list of "almost" Cyclones.

Yeah, but we have gotten some good ones too. Let's not forget about Troy Davis who was a Cyclone and looked just as amazing as Barry when he was at ISU.

Too bad Troy didn't get the Heisman. Not sure why they tie an individual award to a team record, but that's the way it seems to be done and while Troy was amazing his effort wasn't enough to overcome the team weakness..

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
He was incredible to watch, although I didnt know anything about him really until he got to the NFL.

My guess is about twice as many people were 'at that game' as of now than it ever looked like at the time. :smile:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Biggest thing I noticed is this. How many TD's did he score in that video? How many times did you see him celebrate after scoring? Zero. No highstepping. No spiking the football. No dances. He just flipped the ball to the ref and that was it. The guy is the epitome of class and ought to be the measure by which all other football players are judged. I'm a Vikings fans, and I absolutely feared the two games a year that Minnesota had to face this guy. In my opinion, there has been no greater running back in the history of the game. Stack his highlights up against any other RB's and there is no comparison. The guy was flat out, awesome.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
I was in the student section which at the time was on the South East side. I do not remember the crowd being so pathetic but I didn't really pay attention to those kind of things back then. As has been mentioned we were tied with them in the 4th quarter. I believe Barry had less than 100 yards going into the last quarter. He completely took the game over kind of like TD's 4th quarter against Mizzou.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Attendance then wasn't what it is today. I'm not sure they even marketed hillside seats then as there were plenty of empty seats elsewhere. I was sitting on the east side that day. If we had today's defense then, he would have ran for 600 yards. He was unstoppable. OSU's weak link that year was their defense.

cyradio

Sep 13, 2008
Ha, I can't believe how many people are actually admitting being part of the "marching band"!!! My God, you need to keep that to yourself!!!! Ha ha ha.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah, but we have gotten some good ones too. Let's not forget about Troy Davis who was a Cyclone and looked just as amazing as Barry when he was at ISU.

Troy Davis was a great back, but he never looked just as amazing as Barry Sanders. Sanders even tore up the good teams. I think their respective NFL careers could prove that point.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I've seen a lot of good running backs, but nobody like Barry Sanders. He was true poetry in motion on the football field. He even made 10 yeard losses look beautiful.

Can you imagine what his career stats would have been if he had played for a decent team and hadn't retired early?

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I've seen a lot of good running backs, but nobody like Barry Sanders. He was true poetry in motion on the football field. He even made 10 yeard losses look beautiful.

Can you imagine what his career stats would have been if he had played for a decent team and hadn't retired early?

Too bad he couldn't of ran behind Dallas's line. May have had 3000 yard seasons. Troy Aikman may have never needed to throw the ball ;)

Barry had to make his first move 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Emmit made his first move 3-4 yards down field.

I agree with the post that if you compare film, Barry is simply the best of all time. I became a Lions fan:dull: because of Barry, not the other way around.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Edit: The title should have said 1988 not 1998. Not sure how to fix that.

Ran across this Barry Sanders highlight video from his Heisman trophy year.

Three things that really struck me about this video.

1. I will never get tired of watching Barry run. He was amazing.

2. I always liked our helmets from that year, but the colors hurt my eyes.

3. Jack Trice is stunningly empty in this video.

Barry's highlights versus ISU are near the end of the video. About six minutes in.

YouTube - Barry Sanders' Heisman Season Highlights

I was in Jack Trice for that game and I can tell ya that sec F had maybe a dozen people in it at the start of the game...by the end of the 3rd qtr section F had 2 people in it...me and my son!!!!

Yeah attendance was bad in those days but thats what you get when your working on a 15 year losing streak to eiu!!!

Been there and seen it all.........cybob