Basketball Committee to Release Preliminary Seeds?

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Why do they keep trying to change stuff about the NCAA tournament? It's perfect the was it is!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The transparency of releasing top seed lines, too, would help avoid situations like last season, when Louisville receiving a No. 4 seed prompted outrage from fans, media and the team itself because the Cardinals thought their body of work would merit a better seed.
"Some of the reaction the last couple of years of teams being surprised where they were seeded … that's where the thought process started for me," Gavitt said. "Are there things we can do that would better communicate what's the likeliness? Frankly, I didn't think there were a whole lot of very different seeds going in. There seemed to be consternation. If you were to do something along the way to be more transparent, maybe there would be a better understanding — maybe not acceptance — but an understanding that this didn't come out of left field."

Or more likely it will give the screaming heads at places like ESPN (who do have a vested interested in some programs/conferences over others) even more chance to influence the committee. Once something is released that they don't like they can do everything possible to foment outrage in public opinion.

I say don't do it.

H

HGPuck

This is exactly my thought as well. The featured article on the main page of ESPN.com this morning about Ohio St. deserving to be in the football playoff is a perfect example. Not to mention the companion piece about TCU and Baylor forecasting how they could be left out and making the same lack of championship game argument while never mentioning the Big 12 plays one more conference game than all the other major conferences.
Or more likely it will give the screaming heads at places like ESPN (who do have a vested interested in some programs/conferences over others) even more chance to influence the committee. Once something is released that they don't like they can do everything possible to foment outrage in public opinion.

I say don't do it.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
March Madess is probably one of the best run, least controversial, best loved sporting events in the country - college or pro.

NCAA football polls/BCS/playoff system is pretty much the exact opposite.

So to say "the Division I men's basketball committee is paying attention." - it should be with the idea of identifying "what not to do"

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Would put a few bacteriologists out of work. I enjoy the speculation.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Awwww hell no! Selection Sunday is like Christmas Morning! Please stop it now!

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
The NCAA Tournament/March Madness is practically perfect as it is (aside from those dumb "First Four" play-in games) and should be left alone.

For me, March Madness commences with Selection Sunday and ends with "One Shining Moment." It's the best annual sporting event in the nation.