"Bells of Iowa State" at football games: Yay or Nay?

Do you like to hear the Bells of Iowa State at a football game?

• Yes

Votes: 114 71.7%
  • No

Votes: 45 28.3%

• Total voters

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Saw some discussion of the UNI alma mater song causing controversy. What are our thoughts on our alma mater song, "The Bells of Iowa State", being played at football games?

Personally, I love it. It's a beautiful song and holds a lot of sentimental value, whether it's about going to games as a kid or going to ISU in general.

Sorry, folks, it's Wednesday of game week, and I'm getting bored/antsy.

isudrummer

Oct 5, 2012
Muscatine
I am a fan. It's a simple song and they play it a pretty decent tempo so it does not bog down. It takes right around 1 minute for them to play that while it takes them almost 2 minutes from the first whistle until the horns play the first note when they enter the field doing the "cyclones."

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Be glad you're not stuck with this one......that they play twice right before the team comes out. Really brings up the crowd....

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Lets get everyone jacked up for a game and then slow it doowwwwwnnnnn.

I would rather we wait until the game is over, blast the fight song then the Bells of Iowa State.

They get you so ready to run through a brick wall, and then Bells of Iowa State reminds me I’m a human and need to relax, sit down, and get ready to watch a football game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Be glad you're not stuck with this one......that they play twice right before the team comes out. Really brings up the crowd....

We aren't talking about "ISU Fights" - the fight song but rather the school song. Luckily it generally isn't played where we are trying to pump up the crowd.

ISU Fights:

Bells of Iowa State:

Here is an older version of it including the carillon

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
We aren't talking about "ISU Fights" - the fight song but rather the school song. Luckily it generally isn't played where we are trying to pump up the crowd.

ISU Fights:

Bells of Iowa State:

Here is an older version of it including the carillon

I'm with you, we've got UNI Fight!, the actual fight song. That dirge is played right before the band makes their way over (incredibly slowly) to the tunnel at UNI.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Lets get everyone jacked up for a game and then slow it doowwwwwnnnnn.

I would rather we wait until the game is over, blast the fight song then the Bells of Iowa State.

They get you so ready to run through a brick wall, and then Bells of Iowa State reminds me I’m a human and need to relax, sit down, and get ready to watch a cribbage game.

There ya go.
Like @Bigman38 said, but a little different. I don't see a reason to play it. Doesn't really fit in pregame, but whatever.

Maybe after the game, maybe never. Not much of a song, really.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not a fan before the game- it's a buzzkill to all the fan excitement and hype during pregame.

Play it after the game as others mentioned

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I remember when I was a kid my dad always got misty eyed when they played bells before the game. I always thought it was silly. Then on my first day at ISU I was walking across central campus. It was a gorgeous morning and I was super pumped about finally making it to ISU and bells started playing at campanile. Now I get misty eyed when I hear it at games. Lol!

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
as i student i didnt appreciate that song much. Now as an alum (2011), its one of my favorites. Its not a fight song but these songs are what differentiates college football from the pros. Its filled with tradition and pride in your alma mater. It's not gameday in Ames without the Bells of Iowa State. It's a tradition that should stay forever (true).

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
I remember when I was a kid my dad always got misty eyed when they played bells before the game. I always thought it was silly. Then on my first day at ISU I was walking across central campus. It was a gorgeous morning and I was super pumped about finally making it to ISU and bells started playing at campanile. Now I get misty eyed when I hear it at games. Lol!

My last veishea as a student they were doing tours of the Campanile and they cut the line off right behind us so we were the last group to get to go up. The tour was provided by the main gal that plays and since we were the last of the day, she went ahead and played us a song. It was the Bells of Iowa State. Me and my friends were no stranger to the song and I knew right away that this was one of those "moments" i would never forget... getting to hear the Bells of Iowa State, while standing a top the campanile! Yeah it's something special!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My last veishea as a student they were doing tours of the Campanile and they cut the line off right behind us so we were the last group to get to go up. The tour was provided by the main gal that plays and since we were the last of the day, she went ahead and played us a song. It was the Bells of Iowa State. Me and my friends were no stranger to the song and I knew right away that this was one of those "moments" i would never forget... getting to hear the Bells of Iowa State, while standing a top the campanile! Yeah it's something special!
They used to play around noon everyday - I don't know if they still do. But if you waited around the base of the Campanile about 11:30 he would take you up with him and you could watch him play his lunch time concert.

• Informative
Reactions: wclarson