SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
that elevator was always a sight to see with the mix of
  • drunk college kids going to apartment parties
  • parents taking their kids to dinner
  • corporate suit type people on campus for work or job fair
Facts.

That could get real nuts in there. REAL nuts...

grimace

Feb 14, 2014
I think I feel a hangover coming on just from reading this post.
I had 8 am Friday classes that semester, more than once I was still drunk when I went to class those Friday mornings..... which actually made classes more interesting with the straight kids always giving me disapproving looks. Probably couldn't get by with that today in the world of political correctness

Also thought of another one: Lucullans downtown had fishbowl long island ice tea specials on friday. 2 of those would pretty much take you out.

Reactions: Lafester

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
80-84

Said it better than me:

NWICY

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/in-memoriam-ames-business-restaurants.237059/page-10

"Bars that are long gone Thumbs Up, The Billboard, The Hallway, top of the town, Granddaddy's, That Place (peanut shells all over the floor) Virginia City, Mississippi Queen/ the Brewery(?). Didn't include Cave Inn and the Library because they still exist but have new names Sips(?) and can't remember but somebody mentioned it earlier up thread right below pizza pit."
Tork's Pub. I lived at Westgate Hall and it was a short walk there. A little longer walk home :)

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
80-84

Said it better than me:

NWICY

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/in-memoriam-ames-business-restaurants.237059/page-10

"Bars that are long gone Thumbs Up, The Billboard, The Hallway, top of the town, Granddaddy's, That Place (peanut shells all over the floor) Virginia City, Mississippi Queen/ the Brewery(?). Didn't include Cave Inn and the Library because they still exist but have new names Sips(?) and can't remember but somebody mentioned it earlier up thread right below pizza pit."
Several of those bars listed were not in Campustown which the OP indicated.

List from late 70s-early 80s in Campustown included CaveInn, Lucky Q, Cy's Roost and the Alibi and what is now Welch Ave Station (might have been the Library back then).

Reactions: zumbro clones

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Dean's List had Silver Coin Night on Friday's from like 98-01 and we'd walk from our Stanton apartment to the Kum & Go and get a roll of nickels and drink for the rest of the night.

Who else remembers Honky Dory's out on HWY 30 around those same years. That could also be a fun time.
Yep Yep. I'm there with ya man! I was in school 1996-2001. Buck Burgers at Cy's on Wednesdays , Hunkys for $5 AYCD, then Dean's List for Silver Night. Those were the days! If I recall, the crowd I ran with kept pretty calm Wednesday night at Buck Burgers. I honestly think we went for supper and "maybe" 1 or 2 beers then called it a night.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Mid 2000s my favorite was Chasers, especially on Thursdays when they had a $5 cover and “any coin any drink” for wells and draws.

Also Welch Ave Station, People’s, Estas, Paddy’s/Sip’s and sometimes Mickey’s were common spots we’d hit up.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Dugan's memory- Took a buddy of mine to Des Moines because he won a 1000 bucks in a scratch off game. We ended up at Dugan's slamming bass and god knows what next to some dudes who just got off X month stint on some oil rig somewhere. Memory is a little fuzzy-

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
1990's Tazzles, all you can drink for $4 thursdays..... arrive at 8, leave at close...
I was coming here to say this.

Tazzles, all you can drink nights, binge drinking at its finest.

It really depended on your mood or what you were going for, it seemed like there were a lot more bars in the 90s.

The dance bars:
Tazzles
Dean's List
Hunky Dorys (country line dancing, usually)

People's, was considered kind of a Frat bar, "preppy bar" at least when I was at ISU.

The chill bars that everyone hung out at:
Cy's Roost
Welch Ave Station

There there were the others:
For the life of me I cant remember if Paddys and Mickeys were the same names, but there was something in those places.

Then there were some others around town, not including sports bars:
Tip Top

There were bars where Mothers and Thumbs is now, Cant remember the names back then either. Dont believe I ever went to them. Seems like one of them might have been a "alternative lifestyle" Bar at the time.

Probably forgetting a few.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
1975-1980. A different world, where anyone 18 or older could drink. So I did. Main Street had two main bars, Mondo’s and That Place, across the street. One or two smaller titty bars as well. Campustown had the Cave Inn, the Library and Cy’s Roost. West of campus had a delicatessen/bar (Dugans Deli) and a small bar called Torks Pub where I was unceremoniously ushered out after throwing a right jab to some guy who was annoying me. Some road trips on the back roads to Polk City (Broken Arrow) and side trips to Cambridge to visit Chris’s Go Go.

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
Old guy here, 70s and 80s. The Alibi on Chamberlin, above the cave was Brass Bull and the Cue. WAS was the Library. Green Pepper pizza turned into Thumbs Up. Where Dunkin is was a Felix and Oscar’s with a bar in the basement, Whatsunder.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
basement of 124 Welch, and subway was at 122 welch..... subway made a killing with everyone leaving tazzles grabbing a sandwich to soak up all the beer from the tazzles beer smorgasboard
I remember the line for the Gyro stand, when everyone left Tazzles, And the fact that kum and go closed their bathrooms.....

Dont get caught pissing on the dumpsters behind the Pizza Pit...

Reactions: NY Chicago Fan