Best Campustown Bars by Decade

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
09 to 13

Wednesday: Mickeys
Thursday: Cy’s, followed by an ill advised trip to Yokes
FAC: Mickeys or Paddy’s (mickeys usually had Hyvee pizza brought in for free)
Friday and Saturday nights: Who ******* knows

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
That was Okoboji Grill.
DD's was in the very South East corner of the mall by the theater showtimes display.

We walked over and watched the Ames FD do training while they burned Okoboji down. I believe it was a Country Kitchen before that.

What was the bar/Lounge called where University Inn was located? We used to go there on Fridays for free food after work.

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
Also forgot to mention The Keg Shop on west Lincolnway. Not a bar, but they consistently supplied me with those $35 kegs of PBR that fueled my party appetite.

Just read where the West Town Pub has closed after 18 years. Never went there but absolutely hated the screaming on screen commercials on the video board during timeouts. The owner yelling “we love the Cyclones” was enough to make me want to skip the place.
Dana House bought many a keg from The Keg Shop

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Sgt Peppers if you wanted free drinks
Es Tas or WAS if you wanted to watch a game
Cy's if you were in a frat
Headliners/Charlie Yoke's if you wanted live music
Bali Satay House if you were 18 or wanted bad live music
Mickey's if you wanted free hot dogs and popcorn at FAC
Mickey's basement if you wanted $1 shots and didn't care what you went home with
Paddy's if it was mug night
Outlaws if you went to a 1A high school or wanted one last chance on mug night
Chasers if you had underage friends
Capone's if you wanted karaoke
Element if you wanted to dance or your drink to get drugged

Those are all I can remember. The best space is clearly the one on the corner where People's/Yoke's/Headliners was. That or where AJs is at now. Paddy's has a good traditional college pub vibe. WAS and Es Tas are also quality bars. The rest are interchangeable it seems

Reactions: kevdiv48 and Bader

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
People's
People's
People's

Larry Meyers, and Jack Gallop A+ 100. FAC $1 Quarts. Also the CVS or whatever they turned it into is belly up. Time to bring people's back!!

Last edited:

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
80s: We drank a LOT of dime draws and $1 pitchers at Cave-Inn, good lord. We spent a lot of time at Thumbs Up as freshmen because they were notorious for letting in underage students (legal age was 19 then). Several of the hot artsy/hippie chicks we knew insisted on hanging out at Top of the Town, so we'd go there and be bored. Welch Ave Station because it was the first bar I remember that had a big screen TV, which was still a new thing back then. We were inside WAS when the 88 Veisha riots got crazy.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Is Welch Avenue Station the place they served tap beer in jars?

Maybe still does, haven't been there in ages ... just trying to confirm if I'm not confusing it w/ a different venue.
In my over 20 years of going there I haven't seen Mason style jars.

They have always used glass through which I appreciate. When I was in college they even used to advertise that they did that.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
80-84

Said it better than me:

NWICY

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/in-memoriam-ames-business-restaurants.237059/page-10

"Bars that are long gone Thumbs Up, The Billboard, The Hallway, top of the town, Granddaddy's, That Place (peanut shells all over the floor) Virginia City, Mississippi Queen/ the Brewery(?). Didn't include Cave Inn and the Library because they still exist but have new names Sips(?) and can't remember but somebody mentioned it earlier up thread right below pizza pit."
Top of the Town!

Reactions: NWICY and Cy4Lifer