• Slim Chickens

Votes: 17 18.3%

• Total voters

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Had Slim Chickens for the first time. Loved the chicken but the fries weren't up to par. Cane's has the best fry and chicken combo. PDQ (People Dedicated to Quality) makes great sauces, and right there with Cane's for chicken and fry quality.

What say you?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I haven't been to the other two but Raising Cane's is tough to beat when you're looking for some quick food. And a big winner if you have kids with you.

• Winner
Reactions: KnappShack

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Not a restaurant and not a chain, but the best fried chicken I know of is available at the deli of J's a small-town grocery store in Memphis, Missouri.

• Winner
Reactions: mramseyISU

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Cane's must be better in IA than in KC. I've had it twice here and have zero desire to go back. Slim wins between the two. Strouds is a step above both and it gets a lot of love locally, but Gus's crushes them all.

I'm not sure if it's still there, but there used to be some place in Kingsley that had the best broasted chicken. It was dark and dismal inside, but it added nicely to the shame of gourging yourself on crispy goodness.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Had Slim Chickens for the first time. Loved the chicken but the fries weren't up to par. Cane's has the best fry and chicken combo. PDQ (People Dedicated to Quality) makes great sauces, and right there with Cane's for chicken and fry quality.

What say you?
Slim Chickens smokey cheddar wrap is to die for.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Cane's must be better in IA than in KC. I've had it twice here and have zero desire to go back. Slim wins between the two. Strouds is a step above both and it gets a lot of love locally, but Gus's crushes them all.

I'm not sure if it's still there, but there used to be some place in Kingsley that had the best broasted chicken. It was dark and dismal inside, but it added nicely to the shame of gourging yourself on crispy goodness.
Gus's was the hangover cure I needed at the 2012 Liberty Bowl.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Of the places on this list I've only been to Slim Chickens a couple of times because it's close to where I live. The lines for that place are still ridiculously long. I've only eaten from their when I was able to get an online order. It's ok for fast food chicken, but not worth waiting more than 5 minutes for. Wouldn't be near my top 10 places to eat, even if you limit that list to fast food.

My favorite fast food chicken is still Long John Silvers chicken planks. Of course that's nothing to do with the chicken and everything to do with the batter and dipping it in malt vinegar.

Reactions: Icky_Mettle

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Canes would easily win, but would it kill them to season their chicken? It's so bland. Brine it or soak it in seasoned buttermilk or add seasoning to the dredge, or something, because even though it's cooked very well, the meat is just bland.

Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible. But it's just so easily remedied that I have to imagine that the owners of the company are doing it on purpose. Maybe they all injured their tongues in a nasty, cheese grating accident some time back, and now they require their food to be super bland.

It's so close to being fantastic.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I used to live a couple blocks from the original Slim Chicken's in Fayetteville, AR. It got my vote, and might be the only southern chain restaurant that I miss from my time in AR.