Best towns in Iowa

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Lake Mills is one of the more vibrant dinky towns I've been to.

I really enjoy going to auctions in tiny towns like Scarville. Folksy.
I was thinking of Lake Mills too. It, Northwood, St Ansgar, and Osage make a nice little string of thriving small towns.

Reactions: 2122

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Decorah -- Eating Mabe's Pizza while watching a Luther football game in the height of autumn is probably the best experience a human being could have
First thing we did while stopping in Decorah was getting Mabes. Then we canoed down the Iowa river

Reactions: aauummm

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Decorah -- Eating Mabe's Pizza while watching a Luther football game in the height of autumn is probably the best experience a human being could have
Sounds awesome! I’ve seen pictures of the football field up there in the fall. Surrounded by color with the trees.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Mabe's gluten free Za is great for those with the affliction.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The towns with a state prison don’t seem to make anyone’s good list except Iowa City, and Oakdale is in Coralville so maybe that doesn’t count.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The towns with a state prison don’t seem to make anyone’s good list except Iowa City, and Oakdale is in Coralville so maybe that doesn’t count.
Mitchellville is a nice community. One that is starting to grow fast too. Not a fan of Fort Madison. Not sure about other prison communities.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Mitchellville is a nice community. One that is starting to grow fast too. Not a fan of Fort Madison. Not sure about other prison communities.
Mitchellville's elementary school is regarded as one of the best in the state, part of SE Polk district.

Reactions: aauummm

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Maybe women inmates are perceived to be less of an escape risk.

Anamosa and Fort Madison have had their prisons for a long time. Newton has had the minimum security a while but I think built the medium in the 1990’s. Probably had way less impact than losing Maytag. I think Clarinda and Mt. Pleasant lost mental health facilities when they were closed and then got prisons. Fort Dodge was probably declining before they got their prison, which I think was also the 1990’s. Rockwell City has minimum security but in a former life was a women’s reformatory so they have had a prison for a while.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Maybe women inmates are perceived to be less of an escape risk.

Anamosa and Fort Madison have had their prisons for a long time. Newton has had the minimum security a while but I think built the medium in the 1990’s. Probably had way less impact than losing Maytag. I think Clarinda and Mt. Pleasant lost mental health facilities when they were closed and then got prisons. Fort Dodge was probably declining before they got their prison, which I think was also the 1990’s. Rockwell City has minimum security but in a former life was a women’s reformatory so they have had a prison for a while.
No woman is going to risk breaking a nail to tediously dig through a poured concrete wall.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron