Big 12 Basketball Tournaments 2024

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Interesting. The WBB championship game will be on the same day as the play-in games of the MBB tournament.

WBB from March 7 to 12 (six days with no games on Sunday)
MBB from March 12 to 16 (five days)

Ten day span with two WBB days and two MBB days with only two games per day.

Both could have been done in 7 days total (with significant reduction of the number of times teams need to play on consecutive days):
  • Day 1: WBB play-in and MBB play-in (4 games)
  • Day 2: WBB Round 1 (4 games)
  • Day 3: MBB Round 1 (4 games)
  • Day 4: WBB Round 2 (4 games)
  • Day 5: MBB Round 2 (4 games)
  • Day 6: WBB Semi's and MBB Semi's (4 games)
  • Day 7: WBB Finals and MBB Finals (2 games)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Interesting. The WBB championship game will be on the same day as the play-in games of the MBB tournament.

WBB from March 7 to 12 (six days with no games on Sunday)
MBB from March 12 to 16 (five days)

We've known about this schedule setup for over 18 months.

Sunday will always be out because of BYU.

Wait until next year when the women will have to start on Wednesday morning instead of Thursday night.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We've known about this schedule setup for over 18 months.

Sunday will always be out because of BYU.

Wait until next year when the women will have to start on Wednesday morning instead of Thursday night.

I'm still surprised that they agreed to no Sunday games for BYU. And I really wish they were running the two tournaments simultaneously.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Posted this in the ISU twitter thread, but this seems more fitting.

Not a fan of the double bye. I hope they eliminate this when we go to 16 next year.

My preferred solution:
Round 1 goes two days (2 x 4 games)
- Top 4 seeds play 13-16 day 1, 5-12 seeds play day 2
- still gives a rest day advantage for top seeds
Round 2 and beyond are as normal

Gets done in 5 days with 4 games the first three days. To give the top seeds byes just takes away from the tournament.

Reactions: Hoggins and Cycsk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Not a fan of the double bye. I hope they eliminate this when we go to 16 next year.

My preferred solution:

Gets done in 5 days with 4 games the first three days. To give the top seeds byes just takes away from the tournament.

That makes good sense, especially the rest day.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

My preferred solution:

Disagree. That devalues the regular season. Those double byes are earned.

Also, two more teams doesn't add another day, there will just be 4 games on Thursday for the women instead of two.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We’re still trying to figure out when we’ll actually be there in KC. No way we can afford, nor do I want, to be there a week and a half, with two games a day - mostly - and none on Sunday. We bought all session tickets for both as we gave for years knowing this would happen. Wonder what it takes to bring sanity and common sense back.

• Friendly
Reactions: riceville98

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Also, two more teams doesn't add another day, there will just be 4 games on Thursday for the women instead of two.

When they go to 16, the women will have to move back to a Wednesday start because they won't be able to keep the overlap day that's happening this year. The men will have 4 games on the following Tuesday, which means the women's final will have to be Monday night.

March 2025
Wed - WBB rd 1 (4)
Thu - WBB rd 2 (4)
Fri - WBB qtrs (4)
Sat - WBB semis (2)
Sun - off
Mon - WBB final (1)
Tue - MBB rd 1 (4)
Wed - MBB rd 2 (4)
Thu - MBB qtrs (4)
Fri - MBB semis (2)
Sat - MBB final

• Puke
Reactions: Cycsk

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
When they go to 16, the women will have to move back to a Wednesday start because they won't be able to keep the overlap day that's happening this year. The men will have 4 games on the following Tuesday, which means the women's final will have to be Monday night.

March 2025
Wed - WBB rd 1 (4)
Thu - WBB rd 2 (4)
Fri - WBB qtrs (4)
Sat - WBB semis (2)
Sun - off
Mon - WBB final (1)
Tue - MBB rd 1 (4)
Wed - MBB rd 2 (4)
Thu - MBB qtrs (4)
Fri - MBB semis (2)
Sat - MBB final
This is even worse for the women’s tournament: ending on a Monday after a day with no games. Guess how many fans will stay for that.

Reactions: riceville98

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We’re still trying to figure out when we’ll actually be there in KC. No way we can afford, nor do I want, to be there a week and a half, with two games a day - mostly - and none on Sunday. We bought all session tickets for both as we gave for years knowing this would happen. Wonder what it takes to bring sanity and common sense back.

I wonder how many Big 12 all-session tickets for MBB or WBB were ordered. I didn't. Betting on being able to get resale tickets for whatever days I attend.

Reactions: NWICY

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Disagree. That devalues the regular season. Those double byes are earned.

Regardless of format, the Women will need to start a day earlier. Can’t do a championship game the same day as 4 men’s games. Both tournaments will be the seem length, just no overlap day.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Any type of off day after playing is an invitation for fans to not show up to the first game.

If ISU played on Tuesday, and then not again until Thursday, would you:
(a) go Tuesday and try to kill Wednesday in KC
(b) not bother with Tuesday and just wait until Thursday

It'll affect WBB more. People will be less inclined to show up for Saturday's quarters, knowing that the semis aren't until Monday. Even worse will be when the semis are on Saturday, with the finals on Monday.

The only reason it worked back in the olden days was that the WBB day off was Friday, which at the time was quarterfinals day over at Kemper. There was still action happening.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

March 2025
Wed - WBB rd 1 (4)
Thu - WBB rd 2 (4)
Fri - WBB qtrs (4)
Sat - WBB semis (2)
Sun - off
Mon - WBB final (1)
Tue - MBB rd 1 (4)
Wed - MBB rd 2 (4)
Thu - MBB qtrs (4)
Fri - MBB semis (2)
Sat - MBB final

Just push it back a full week then. Tuesday through Saturday for both tournaments.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Any type of off day after playing is an invitation for fans to not show up to the first game.

If ISU played on Tuesday, and then not again until Thursday, would you:
(a) go Tuesday and try to kill Wednesday in KC
(b) not bother with Tuesday and just wait until Thursday

It'll affect WBB more. People will be less inclined to show up for Saturday's quarters, knowing that the semis aren't until Monday.

The only reason it worked back in the olden days was that the WBB day off was Friday, which at the time was quarterfinals day over at Kemper. There was still action happening.

What do you think the attendance will be for the first day if all you have are 9 through 16?

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I haven’t figured out what my plan is for KC yet.

Most likely:
(1) no women’s attendance
(2) if men get a double bye, head down Wednesday afternoon and stay the whole weekend
(3) if men don’t get a double bye, wait and see if they make it to Thursday. Drive down either late Wednesday or early Thursday morning depending on when they play. I’d prefer not to spend more than two vacation days.

Does the yearly Kelly’s party happen Tuesday if they play on Wednesday???

Help Support Us

Become a patron