Big 12 New TV Deal - Huge Positives

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
They would both be gung-ho about a Big Xii invite too. I know Wazzu is in Podunk, Eastern WA (I've been there!), but Corvallis (been there too!) is actually closer to Portand than Eugene is and reminds me of Ames. I think Ore. State would be a huge get, and I have no issue with Wazzu coming along with them. I'd rather have those two than Colorado and Utah who woul both be holding their nose up in the air!
Everyone else looking for gold, Big XII looking for the mountain west. I don’t see it.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Everyone else looking for gold, Big XII looking for the mountain west. I don’t see it.
The thing is, it takes two from the Pac, but those two are better than any two teams the Pac could get to replace them. Also, what if getting those two with a B1G snub of UW and Oregon helped lure the Huskies and Ducks to the Big Xii too. Having the PNW teams would be just as solid as having the four corner schools. Just thinking outside the box.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Counting the new teams, our culture seems pretty fluid.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'm not worried about the ACC getting the ABC slot ahead of us.

As long as the Big XII keeps playing football at the level we've been at for quite awhile, I think we'll be on ABC plenty.
ESPN/Disney have a vested interested in promoting all 3 of their investments - SEC, ACC and Big12. Sure the SEC is their golden child- but seems to me they will show the love for Big12/ACC equally.

After all, the end game (5-10 years) is for games to be on platforms that fans are willing to pay sizeable subscription fees.

We are seeing that in the NFL. Amazon has TNF. Last weekend the Denver/Jax game was on ESPN+. Media platforms are just laying the groundwork in 2022.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and Klubber

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
The thing is, it takes two from the Pac, but those two are better than any two teams the Pac could get to replace them. Also, what if getting those two with a B1G snub of UW and Oregon helped lure the Huskies and Ducks to the Big Xii too. Having the PNW teams would be just as solid as having the four corner schools. Just thinking outside the box.
PAC would trade either for SDSU and not shed a tear.

Reactions: GTO

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I really haven't seen how being 8-9 deep in football or basketball has helped perception of the conference. Computers have had Big 12 as #1 or #2 in football all season and the media narrative isn't anywhere near that. Might as well have some actual bad teams to pad the win column for the top teams and add some new markets, AZ/CU have high ceiling to not suck some day too.

The league has been drastically better than any other in basketball for over a decade and the media barely acknowledges it or more often fabricates lies about that not being the reality.

In basketball specifically I am hoping UCF is super bad for all eternity. Every other major conference has 3-4 programs like that to the current Big 12's none.
The Pac12 is interesting this year. USC, Oregon, UCLA and Utah all have 1 loss in Pac12 play. Conversely, there are also 5 teams with only 1 Pac12 win. Hard to tell if they are on an upswing or fools gold.

Games 9-12 usually indicate the contenders vs. pretenders. It's a long season.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006

Big 12 deal puts focus on where Pac-12 will land​

Now that the Big 12 has secured six-year deals with ESPN and Fox Sports worth $2.28 billion, all eyes are on the Pac-12, which got out of its exclusive negotiating window with ESPN and Fox three weeks ago. This is what we know.

• ESPN and Amazon Prime remain the front runners to pick up Pac-12 rights, with agreements potentially coming by the end of the year. It’s too early to describe what’s in those packages with any accuracy. But it’s important to note that ESPN’s Big 12 deal does not take it out of the running for Pac-12 rights. And Amazon still wants a package of college football games that can complement its Thursday night package of NFL games.
  • Pac-12 officials’ initial reaction when they heard of the Big 12’s deal was relief. Big 12 schools each will receive around $31 million per school as part of the deal, and Pac-12 officials are optimistic that they will be able to eclipse that figure. This means that unless the Big Ten or SEC come calling, it’s unlikely a Pac-12 school will be persuaded to leave the conference.
  • One reason for that optimism is the fact that the Pac-12 has its rights in the open market. The Big 12 could not have hit the open market until 2024. While Amazon and ESPN are the clear front-runners, the Pac-12 has had talks with Apple, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery. The theory is that the presence of multiple serious bidders will help drive the price up.
  • The big question will come down to price. Media companies believe the Big 12 deal set the market. The Pac-12 still is aiming higher. Keep in mind, the Pac-12 will have fewer schools -- 10 instead of 12 -- after USC and UCLA depart for the Big Ten. That’s two fewer mouths to feed. ESPN took pains to make sure that its Big 12 deal would not result in a bigger per-school payout than the ACC. Because of the ACC Network, it’s difficult to determine how much ACC schools make from its ESPN deal. But I was told that the Big 12 will not eclipse the ACC on that front at any point in its deal, which runs through 2030-31. ESPN is likely to approach Pac-12 negotiations in a similar way.
  • I keep seeing one aspect of the Big 12 deal that is creating confusion among fans on social media. Historically, the Big 12 had what it called "Tier Three" rights, which are the rights schools retained and sold to local broadcasters. These are the rights, for example, that Texas used to create the Longhorn Network with ESPN. ESPN now controls all of those rights as part of its deal; there are no more institutional-controlled games and no more Tier Three rights.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
True but Bowlsby was in charge and taking best available. Yormark said he wants cultural fits.

I think people are reading way too much into that. He will take the best schools he can get for the Big12. He’s also not the only one with a say.

Reactions: jason33

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Counter-Point: yormark isn’t dumb enough to think those schools bring any value.
I think people are reading way too much into that. He will take the best schools he can get for the Big12. He’s also not the only one with a say.
Agree to both. With limited availability you take the best you can and cultural fit is not defined by Yormark. If Oregon State and Washington State were more valuable then they would be in the mix with the four corners even though I'm not sure they are much more valuable. Maybe UT and ASU are more valuable but could also be a pain in the ass.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
True but Bowlsby was in charge and taking best available. Yormark said he wants cultural fits.
IMO that is just spin. He'll take any Pac12 school that ESPN/Fox feels adds incremental value to the media deal.

IMO people are too sensitive about what is being posted by fans on Twitter or even by the Pac12 Commissioner, Presidents and AD's in the media.

The Pac12 is a conference fighting for its survival. They are in the middle of negotiating a media rights deal that will determine their future. Of course they're going to promote perceived strengths or appear unified in public. That even includes taking jabs at the Big12. A lot of these folks have invested a share of their professional careers in building the Pac12. Can't blame them for going down swinging.

But the reality is, if Amazon, Apple, ESPN, Fox, CBS and/or NBC don't pony up some cash, the Pac12 is dead in 9 months.

Reactions: simply1

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I think we’re all underestimating the security ISU gained today. Between this deal and the expanded playoff, we’re essentially keeping the status quo. 18 months ago, that would’ve been insane.

Credit to the Big 12 Presidents and leadership. This has been a very pleasant surprise
Did we get enough to hire an actual OC?

• Dumb
Reactions: Stormin and Snydes