Big 12 New TV Deal - Huge Positives

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Honestly, it will be an egg in the Big 12's face if the PAC gets an overall (media, bowls, CFP, etc.) package that is more than the Big 12. The media heads will make fun of our posturing over the last couple months while attempting to offer the 4 corner schools.

I get the feeling that the PAC's media will rely heavier on streaming more than traditional viewing channels, so in the long run, the branding of the Big 12 should be better.

Does the PAC 12 have some deal imminent that I’m not aware of?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I'm not saying the Big 12 got a raw deal. Considering how the sky was falling just a year and a half ago we've landed on our feet.

Hats off to JP and President Wintersteen for helping to calm the waters and navigate the Titanic to shore.

That said, the Big 12 could still be at the bottom from a money perspective. Close to the PAC but still lower.

Ok. That's still not a train wreck since Yormark has repaired the Big 12 - ESPN relationship, expanded BB to Fox, and kept the conference on linear networks. This is a great foundation to expand the brand.

PAC is playing with that shiny new object of Amazon. More cash....**** exposure for the casual fan. It's a gamble, but maybe one they're forced to make.

Understand. Big 12 got a great deal. There could be a possibility the PAC 12 gets a big contract. But that possibility is dependent on big bids from newcomers like Amazon. Hope might become reality. But IMO may be delusional thinking. PAC 12 didn’t get a decent offer to consider in their negotiations. Which makes me think they are blowing smoke to stall things. They have nothing now.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
So ESPN could low ball PAC to entice movement or they simply don't want the Big12 to enlarge the P5 pool any more.
i think they already did, didn't they? hence why pac 12 went to market.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
So I certainly didn't read all 10 pages. Sounds like we are mostly stuck on ESPN?
That's a bummer to me as that's the most expensive channel to see games on. I was hoping for some broadcast TV coverage somewhere.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Was it just me or was the Ravens-Bucs video choppy as hell on Prime? There were times where it was like watching a game in a stadium lit by strobe lights.
Not as choppy as Al and Herbie. No chemistry there at all.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
So I certainly didn't read all 10 pages. Sounds like we are mostly stuck on ESPN?
That's a bummer to me as that's the most expensive channel to see games on. I was hoping for some broadcast TV coverage somewhere.
5 games a year on the Ocho

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So ESPN could low ball PAC to entice movement or they simply don't want the Big12 to enlarge the P5 pool any more.

That pod says ESPN - Fox wants a strong P5. An ESPN executive was on the pod and said the same.

Uh huh. ESPN had a chance to lock up the PAC for the right price. Maybe they still will since a breakup seems to strengthen B1G inventory the most. Using top matchups as the measuring stick.

But the cap on non-P5 expansion is very interesting too. Maybe the $$ cap for ESPN-Fox is getting close

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
No, but I personally think people are making the GOR a bigger issue than it is.

With the SEC and B1G media deals signed, nothing is going to materially change in the next couple years.

If there's no B1G offer now, there won't be a year from now.

Even then, any PAC deal is going to be short term. Just as a couple years on Texas and OU's didn't stop the SEC from adding them, a couple years isn't going to stop the B1G from adding Oregon if that's who they want.

Not sure I get your logic. Sure the GOR didn't prevent OU & UT from leaving the Big12 after their GOR with Big12 expired, but it appears to be keeping both schools in the Big12 until 2024/2025. Which prevented OU and UT from leaving the Big12 immediately for the SEC, which would have allowed ESPN & Fox to reopen their current media rights deal with the Big12.

If Oregon, Washington or any current Pac school aren't willing to sign a GOR through 2030 or 2031, that would allow those schools to leave at any point during the Pac12's next contract. It would allow the Big10 to grab them whenever the $'s make sense. That could be 2026, 2028 or 2030. I would think that would make it tough on Pac12 AD's to make significant long term investments in facilities, coaches, etc. Debt investors are going to want assurances future revenues are guaranteed. They won't be w/o a GOR.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
ESPN and ABC have same ownership.
Aware of this as well. When a game is on ESPN, I can't get it. When its on ABC, I can.
Do they routinely flex them back and forth or are the selected channels set through this contract.

This is all selfish about me wanting to see B12 content. I'd personally love amazon as I have that too, but that's even more limiting for overall viewers I'd assume.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
They seem highly respected and were pretty close on the Big 12 numbers. A little low, but not crazy and they don't have a dog in this fight.

The PAC absolutely could come in higher and the Big 12 would be in the basement of P5 earnings.

It could happen
There are no numbers to support that happening unless someone just takes a wild ass flyer and hopes that they can generate enough excitement to pay it back. And that someone won't have a job for long if they do.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Probably a lot of ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, ESPNU, ESPN+

And some Fox/FS1.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

My take on the recent news is that Amazon is driving the financials related to the new Pac12 deal more than ESPN,

With 10 teams the Pac12, inventory during the conference season is 4 or 5 games each week. Could be the Pac12's next agreement holds greater value on a per school basis if Amazon & ESPN(EDIT) are only paying for a small amount of inventory and that inventory is mainly 7p CT games for Amazon on Fri/Sat and 9:30p CT games for ESPN on Thu/Fri/Sat.

It would be interesting to see the profitability for ESPN by game time and channel. They have a huge investment in rights fees to the conferences, what type of advertising revenue are they bringing in? Sat on ABC at 7p vs. Sat on ESPN2 at 6:30p vs. Sat on ESPN at 9:30p.

Last edited:

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Big 12 basement is over $50 million per team. And does not include expanded CFP. Just status quo. Just a 6 year deal. So if indeed we are the bottom we can negotiate a much bigger deal. $10 million increase and we lost Texas and Oklahoma. Great deal.

Thought something huge was happening in the PAC 12 yesterday. What happened?
Bill Walton is mad at UCLA lol

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Iowa State was likely never going to regularly be on broadcast TV. The Big 12 (and occasionally ISU if we win some games) will have some games on ABC and Fox. You wanted coverage to revert back to the pre-cable model?