Big 12 Statement 9.1.2021

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
If this is all negotiation tactics (which is what I have 100% believed all along) it's getting quite convincing...

I mean, what if they DO add teams in the next month?? What does that imply? I think it suggests the Alliance said "no way no how" to adding any Big12 teams, but might have been supportive of the Big12s continuing existence (ie they won't vote them out of the P5 club).
You may be onto something here, as I can’t imagine the Big 12 adding four schools to replace two juggernauts (this dividing a smaller pie more) without some dealings being negotiated behind closed doors that it will retain P5 status and get a good enough TV deal from someone.

I know the Big 12 has not had the greatest track record of smart decisions BUT this would be arguably the biggest screw up to the remaining 8 schools if we get even less money with no guarantee of P5 status or whatever it’s going to be for the CFP moving forward.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I don’t really like the idea of adding them while OU and UT are around, since I think at best we only get one more year of those two. Why would we play one year as an 11-school league with BYU in the mix.
I think the argument is to have OuT play those teams, if the new blood does well vs OuT, legitimizes them somehow?

• Creative
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Oh, they will add teams. They have to. What I expect you will not see is a new GOR...that will come later and some teams will not be a part of that who are currently in the Big 12.
So the narrative has changed from nothing happens before OuT leave to ku/isu won’t have to sign the GOR? You are setting yourself up for more disappointment I’m afraid.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You may be onto something here, as I can’t imagine the Big 12 adding four schools to replace two juggernauts (this dividing a smaller pie more) without some dealings being negotiated behind closed doors that it will retain P5 status and get a good enough TV deal from someone.

I know the Big 12 has not had the greatest track record of smart decisions BUT this would be arguably the biggest screw up to the remaining 8 schools if we get even less money with no guarantee of P5 status or whatever it’s going to be for the CFP moving forward.
I agree. Maybe we can screw those new schools over and make their share considerably smaller for 10 years or something like other conferences do when they take a new member. Either way, I have an unbelievably hard time getting excited about adding any of those schools.

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
I know I'm being optimistic here, but with all of the unknowns, they have to add 4. One of the unknowns (I hope) is that KU and ISU may be headed to the big 10. That news could be kept under wraps to help the remaining six find dancing partners. If you add 4 you can still survive if some leave for pac12, big 10, or acc. I'm not convinced, that this early in the game that everyone has given up on jumping ship.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
So the narrative has changed from nothing happens before OuT leave to ku/isu won’t have to sign the GOR? You are setting yourself up for more disappointment I’m afraid.

Nothing has changed...not an iota. Nothing with B1G/PAC or other P4 expansion can happen until after OUT settles. That's as it has been, as it is, and is it will continue to be. As someone said above, if you see ISU sign a GOR then you can worry...I expect that won't happen and if it did happen that would mean something drastic DID change. Not gonna happen.

Read the Big 12 AD's statement again...and Pollard's statement as well. Everything you need to know is there.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

The final AP poll last year the PAC had one ranked team (USC at #21). ISU and Cincy were Top 10, BYU was #11, and Oklahoma St. was #20. With those four additions that would 4/12 ranked, including 8, 9 and 11.

If you consider OU and UT part of the SEC, they would be the only league with a higher percentage of teams in the final rankings.

Ask Oregon if they think ISU is a power conference team. Ask Georgia about Cincinnati. Ask Miami about Oklahoma State.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Nothing has changed...not an iota. Nothing with B1G/PAC or other P4 expansion can happen until after OUT settles. That's as it has been, as it is, and is it will continue to be. As someone said above, if you see ISU sign a GOR then you can worry...I expect that won't happen and if it did happen that would mean something drastic DID change. Not gonna happen.

Read the Big 12 AD's statement again...and Pollard's statement as well. Everything you need to know is there.

Totally agree. Everyone will be "together" in the Big XII until those checks cash and OU/Texas are officially gone. Then anyone that can leave will be on the first train out. Right now nobody else is going to say they're leaving because then THEY have to pay the rest of the schools too and I'm anticipating none of the remaining 8 has that in their budget or reserves.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I think the argument is to have OuT play those teams, if the new blood does well vs OuT, legitimizes them somehow?

Maybe. Let's say BYU joins next year; seems unlikely the AAC schools could. What do we do with 11 teams? We'd have to ask the NCAA for a CCG waiver if we don't play a 10-game round robin, and every school would have to cancel a non-con game on short notice to do that (and OU/UT would not agree to that at a minimum). The AAC got a waiver to have one 6-team division and one 5-team division meet in a CCG; we could try that - but why would we want to?

My hunch is that the Big 12 sources are saying "BYU could join next year" (true) "even while OU and UT are still here" (*wink*). We get a truckload of ESPN/SEC/OU/UT $$$ and add BYU, we play a 9-team round robin for one year in 2022, then add UC/UH/UCF for 2023 and go to divisions.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Maybe. Let's say BYU joins next year; seems unlikely the AAC schools could. What do we do with 11 teams? We'd have to ask the NCAA for a CCG waiver if we don't play a 10-game round robin, and every school would have to cancel a non-con game on short notice to do that (and OU/UT would not agree to that at a minimum). The AAC got a waiver to have one 6-team division and one 5-team division meet in a CCG; we could try that - but why would we want to?

My hunch is that the Big 12 sources are saying "BYU could join next year" (true) "even while OU and UT are still here" (*wink*). We get a truckload of ESPN/SEC/OU/UT $$$ and add BYU, we play a 9-team round robin for one year in 2022, then add UC/UH/UCF for 2023 and go to divisions.
We don’t need a waiver or round-robin to have a championship game with 11.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
We don’t need a waiver or round-robin to have a championship game.

Yes we do. We got legislation to permit a 10-school league to play a round robin and still play a CCG. Otherwise the NCAA requires at least 12 schools in equal divisions for a CCG. If we have 11 schools and do not play a round robin, we need a waiver, which is the exact situation the American is in after UConn left (and their waiver was granted for only 2 years).

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Yes we do. We got legislation to permit a 10-school league to play a round robin and still play a CCG. Otherwise the NCAA requires at least 12 schools in equal divisions for a CCG. If we have 11 schools and do not play a round robin, we need a waiver, which is the exact situation the American is in after UConn left (and their waiver was granted for only 2 years).
No. We proposed that at once but the rule was deregulated and any conference can have a championship game regardless of the number of schools.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
No. We proposed that at once but the rule was deregulated and any conference can have a championship game regardless of the number of schools.

Would be happy to see the update you assert has happened within the last two years that contradicts this:

In fact this article explicitly says the deregulation is ONLY if the league plays a round robin.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Would be happy to see the update you assert has happened within the last two years that contradicts this:

In fact this article explicitly says the deregulation is ONLY if the league plays a round robin.
Well ****, the article i read did not mention the round robin requirement. Looks like i was wrong (not the last time i’m sure).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Honest question, where would the champ game be for football? Are we contractually locked in to Jerryworld?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Honest question, where would the champ game be for football? Are we contractually locked in to Jerryworld?

Jerryworld, the Texans' stadium in Houston, and maybe Camping World Stadium in Orlando seem like the best options to me. Maybe add the Alamodome to that rotation. Although the other power leagues aren't really rotating - they're locked in to Atlanta, Charlotte, Indianapolis, and now Vegas. Why not just stay in Dallas?

There aren't really any good options in other states in the Big 12 footprint - it's not like we are going to play an outdoor CCG at the Bengals stadium in December now that we are adding Cincinnati.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I went to the Camping World bowl, had a good time, but that should not the be site for a Big 12 CCG. That stadium has seen better days.
Is that were UCF plays? Didn’t look like a wonderful stadium on tv last night.